LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Computer Nerds - What are you running?

DailyDi

Gamers and tech nerds unite! What hardware are you running?

I'm using:

Intel Core i7-8700K 7th Gen Processor.
32 GB Ballistix Tactical Gaming Ram.
Samsung 970 Pro NVME SSD drive.
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Graphics.

I've got an alienware i7-7700.    16G ram, SSD and a terabyte drive and a GEFORCE GTX 1070 driving two monitors.

I'm not a gamer however, but I do some graphical software development.

This replaced the absolutely hideously defective from the factory Dell XPS One that in addition to its other problems got bricked when Windows 10 flashed it's bios in a noncompatible fashion (damn you Dell-no-support).     At least now my monitors are symmetrical.    I was able to recover the hard drive out of the AIO and transfer all the stuff into the new system.

• Like 1

Right now: A 6y/o Acer Veritone. core i7 1TB HDD Win 7

I am planning to upgrade to an HP ENVY b235 or 245 cor i7 (sic cores) and a Nividia GeForce GTX-1050 with 4 GB GRAM. The differences between the two, which is the cause of the debate I am having with myself, as discussed in "Are Some Folks still Using XP?" are

One has the following: Processor 8th gen 2.4, TurboBoost to 4, 16 GB RAM. 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD and 256 GB SSD

the other: processor 8th gen 2.4 TurboBoost to 4.6, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB 5400 RPM HDD 16 GB Intel Optane

I have seen variants of these with and without DisplayPort, wich I want

Both have two m.2 expansion slots. and both sell at about $159 so I presume that one is as good as the other. I plan to use it for some audio, graphics (I would use GIMP but I have tried to install it on 3 different computers and whien it comes up and you put the cursor on any of the tools, instead of a black box with white text describing the item, all I see is an empty black box. Unless I can get GIMP to work, I will use KDE Krita and Inkscape vecor grapnics program if I need SVG graphix my image editors of choice are IrfanView with Filter Factory and Filtuers Unliminted (which add about 700 additional filters plus the ability to write your own) and FastStone. With all those filters, and it's own plugins iv now at 4.52 and updating, is decidedly hot and easy to use

Since the touchscreen does not support active pen. i am debating between two Waccom Ciniq's the 13 Pro and the 16 Bridge, the difference that I am hung up on  is the Pro has 90% Adobe RGB and the Bridge has 72%. I can't figure out if that is a significant visual difference. Both are priced withing $160 USD of each other. The buttons on the 13 Pro are hardware and those of the 16 Bridge are software or on a remote (gee, a SEPARATE button panel: what can POSSIBLE go wrong) and the tiny print on remotes and I just do NOT  get along with each other. I am looking ong the FACTORY refurb market

Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it

1 hour ago, Little Christine said:

Right now: A 6y/o Acer Veritone. core i7 1TB HDD Win 7

I am planning to upgrade to an HP ENVY b235 or 245 cor i7 (sic cores) and a Nividia GeForce GTX-1050 with 4 GB GRAM. The differences between the two, which is the cause of the debate I am having with myself, as discussed in "Are Some Folks still Using XP?" are

One has the following: Processor 8th gen 2.4, TurboBoost to 4, 16 GB RAM. 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD and 256 GB SSD

the other: processor 8th gen 2.4 TurboBoost to 4.6, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB 5400 RPM HDD 16 GB Intel Optane

I have seen variants of these with and without DisplayPort, wich I want

Both have two m.2 expansion slots. and both sell at about $159 so I presume that one is as good as the other. I plan to use it for some audio, graphics (I would use GIMP but I have tried to install it on 3 different computers and whien it comes up and you put the cursor on any of the tools, instead of a black box with white text describing the item, all I see is an empty black box. Unless I can get GIMP to work, I will use KDE Krita and Inkscape vecor grapnics program if I need SVG graphix my image editors of choice are IrfanView with Filter Factory and Filtuers Unliminted (which add about 700 additional filters plus the ability to write your own) and FastStone. With all those filters, and it's own plugins iv now at 4.52 and updating, is decidedly hot and easy to use

Since the touchscreen does not support active pen. i am debating between two Waccom Ciniq's the 13 Pro and the 16 Bridge, the difference that I am hung up on  is the Pro has 90% Adobe RGB and the Bridge has 72%. I can't figure out if that is a significant visual difference. Both are priced withing $160 USD of each other. The buttons on the 13 Pro are hardware and those of the 16 Bridge are software or on a remote (gee, a SEPARATE button panel: what can POSSIBLE go wrong) and the tiny print on remotes and I just do NOT  get along with each other. I am looking ong the FACTORY refurb market

Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it

An m.2 with a x4 SSD is way faster than a traditional drive with Optane... Not sure how it compares to a x1 SSD though, probably leans towards optane.

16 minutes ago, DailyDi said:

An m.2 with a x4 SSD is way faster than a traditional drive with Optane... Not sure how it compares to a x1 SSD though, probably leans towards optane.

I figured that I could put a 128 or 256 GB SSD in one of the m.2 expansion slots and have the best of both worlds: the 2 TB HDD/Optaine drive (about which Linus os crazy) AND an SSD, put the executables on the SSD and have the best of both worlds use the Optain to seed up the function of the HDD since Optane is said to be nearly as fast as RAM, unless there is something I am missing. I am sorely tempted by the additional .6 GHz processing speed; and addedtion 1/3+

Alienware 15 R2 laptop
Screen: 15 inch at 4K (3840 X 2160 resolution)

Processor: Intel i7 6820HK 2.7GHz Overclocked and unlocked to 4.1Ghz

RAM: 32GB of DDR4 2133Mhz

Graphics card: 8GB of GDDR5 memory NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M(I think this card also suports up to 48bits of color as well but I might be wrong)

Hard Drive: 256 GB of Solid State Drive with option of second slot for more storage
1TB 7200RPM Hybrid Drive

Other neat features:
Has lots of different lighting option for designs.
3 USB SuperSpeed 3.0 slots
1 Thunderbolt port
1000Gbit Eithernet port
a Dual band wireless card for better wifi data travel.

HP Spectre laptop

• i7-6500U, 8G RAM
  • 250G SSD

Connected to:

• ASUS AS6208 stuffed with 8 4TB HGST HDDs for backup, music & video storage
  • Untangle Firewall
  • Windows Small Business Server (Exchange, IIS and Domain services)
  • Several other Linux & Windows servers for various purposes

We also have a very cheap AMD quad core 3.2 ghz laptop, which I upgraded from 5400 rpm hard drive to an SSD.  The AMD cpu is very weak in that laptop.  I ended up giving it to my wife for home use as her Acer couldn't get past the second Windows 10 update (and Acer stopped supporting it).  When we travel I take that for work instead of my work laptop. It ran Linux fine, but I decided to give it away without the hard drive as it was a 1 TB 7200 rpm one.  It replaced a hard disk that had 30,000 hours in my DVR computer.  The DVR computer is an i7-920 with nvidia 560 (ti I think?).

The laptop has PlayOn on it, so when we're in hotels I can connect to the tv if there's an HDMI connection.  Granted PlayOn only records in 720, so it's not clear as it could be.

• Like 1

Here are the two desktops I am lokin to get one of

and

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-all-in-one-27-b235t

I know "Gee Christine, I thought you said AIO's were orrible"

I am looking to do music, graphics and video at some level

For graphics I a debating between the Waccom 13 pro and 16 Bridge for programs I am ready with Krita and inkscape. I would like to use GIMP butt have had the seme problem on 3 different machines and 3 different OS's when you call it up and put the pointer on a toll, instead of an alt text display, hopefull, white letters on a black background, I just get an empty box

I also have a Dell Inspiron 7579 15" 8th gen i7 3.4 to 4 -something; i forgot GGZ  GB RAM 512 GB SSD 15" touchscreen factory refurb. This is for music making both live and record

If it is that horrible, why do you keep using it? To hear persons, including the experts, talk, GIMP is strawberry Shrtcake from Fairyland. It has a great reputation as "the poor man's Photoshop"

I use Krita, Inskscape (If I need SVG) and a fully charged of Irfan view, with Filter Factory and Filters Unlimited as an editor, I keep a copy of XP paint (the old MS Panit; the white ribbon on the new one is so glary it hurts my eyes) for quick work or screen captures, and for aniGifs, unFREEze and for image mapping Splitz

23 hours ago, Little Christine said:

If it is that horrible, why do you keep using it?

Cheap employers, incompetent IT staff, all the usual stuff. Very different for my personal use- there I just buy the good stuff- PS & Illustrator.

29 minutes ago, WetDad said:

PS & Illustrator.

About which I can only dream

My setup's a bit old, but here goes. I've got an AMD FX 9590 Eight Core processor at 4.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 video card. I use a 27" Asus monitor. Only thing I need to do is dust it (badly). Could this be why Youtube loads slowly, and DOOM (2016) lags terribly? They didn't used to do that.

Not that I can see, might need some software curating, though I don't know anything about AMD. Might be the storage, HDD does not hold a candle to SSD and 16 GB RAM is quite admirable. SSD's are getting dirt cheap. Give it a good cleaning, get 256 GB and put your boot and executabels on it and get ready to fly. You might wat to re-install Widnows

On 1/27/2019 at 11:52 AM, WetDad said:

I have used gimp for 10+ years, although I don't like it. The UI is awful and I have never found it intuitive. 

I decided on this https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-all-in-one-27-b245se The AIO has a small footprint and tahis one looks like you could do some gaming on it. I would be mostly interested in pinball and some space fighter and the thing is almmost portable/ cost 1700 USD with taxes

What do you do your graphics on? I am debating between two Waccom cinitqs the 13 pro and the 16 Bridge they are witing about 150 USD of each other

Off the top of my head, so can't remember exact models numbers etc: 6 core Intel overclocked to 4.2Ghz, 16 gig of RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080ti, 240gb SSD, 4tb harddrrive, 27" 2.5K colour calibrated monitor. It's not a 'single purchase' - I tend to update one bit at a time, and some parts are over 6 years old (well, speakers, are ~15 years old). At least, that's my main desktop - have a bunch of other computers, including stuff far more powerful at work. While a gamer the high specs are primarily because I'm a computer scientist and a (hobbyist) digital artist, so need the juice!

I'm currently running games on an AMD FX 8350 (4gig 8 core ), Nvidia 1050ti gfx card, 1tb HDD, blue ray DVD, 20 gigs Ram. Was using an AMD 6300, but instead of buying a new PC I decided to upgrade my CPU for a change to get myself ready for MechWarrior 5, runs most of my games on ultra settings, with the exception of a few titles which run about mid settings. Happy with my new setup, but may get a newer monitor as the one I have, though decent (an older Acer) is only about 22 in., Would like something bigger, maybe a 36 in widescreen one

14 hours ago, Little Christine said:

What do you do your graphics on? I am debating between two Waccom cinitqs the 13 pro and the 16 Bridge they are witing about 150 USD of each other

I haven't used tablets in so many years - no desk space. Which is not entirely true. I could make the room, because every March I spread stacks of tax crap app over my desk and do that process. I guess it's really a matter of priorities. As a geek, I would rather spend the money on new software tools and platforms. 

On 2/1/2019 at 9:49 PM, Little Christine said:

I decided on this https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-all-in-one-27-b245se The AIO has a small footprint and tahis one looks like you could do some gaming on it. I would be mostly interested in pinball and some space fighter and the thing is almmost portable/ cost 1700 USD with taxes

I think that 1050 graphics card is going to be weak for games.  If you can get 1070 or 1080.  1070 have come down in price.

On 2/3/2019 at 9:32 AM, 2sail2 said:

I think that 1050 graphics card is going to be weak for games.  If you can get 1070 or 1080.  1070 have come down in price.

This is what the thing comes with. I am not even mediumly interested in games, just cuasually and older machines could play pinball perfectly well. A 1050 with 4 gb GRAM dedicated should be very adequate for the job of 60's and 70's arcade style games. My old XP and 98 machines could do them fairly well

I also understand that the text-based, late 1970's/ early '80's style games are coming back. Holy TRS-80; Batman!