LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Regular Punishments in this Spectrum

I know that, in terms of regular discipline in child rearing, diaper punishment does occur in some cases (case in point - it's not a punishment if the person involved enjoys it), but I was just thinking now, as I played an online game and caught myself cursing... would pacifiers be considered an acceptable punishment alternative to, for example, washing someone's mouth with soap,  for swearing? Trust me. It is a lot more difficult to curse with a pacifier in one's mouth. (I speak from experience). 

In terms of realistic parenting, I don't think I've ever heard of or could imagine a parent putting a pacifier in their older child's mouth other than in a joking manner. Most parents want their kids off the binky as soon as possible, for the child's dignity's sake as well as to avoid comments from other parents. Diapers are a lot easier to cover under clothes, but a pacifier out in public or through an open window is not. And if the child were to become attached to the pacifier (such as many of us have become attached to diapers) then it would be way more trouble than it was worth in the first place. More common punishments I've seen for swearing are soap, physically holding your tongue for an amount of time, swear jars, or potentially unpleasant liquids such as Tabasco sauce or vinegar. 

So as plausible of a punishment it may be for you or I, I don't consider it acceptable to use with children as the parent ultimately risks embrassment and judgement too. 

My long rant.  First, I agree that a punishment is only a punishment if the person being punished hates it.  If it doesn't bother them or they enjoy it, then it's not a punishment.   When we are especially talking about children, some parents have been abusers plain and simple.  It all depends on the age of the child and the degree of the offence.  A 2 or 3 year old may be shocked enough with a quick swat on the butt (not hard enough to hurt, but the shock value is often enough to get the point across).  Older kids can be more affected by other types of punishment, such as 4 and 5 year old's having a time out or having to sit in a corner for 15 minutes.  Let the kid have his tantrum rather than taking him out of the room or giving in to it because that is usually what he wants you to do.  You give in and let him have his way, then it's positive reinforcement that his tantrum works and he will do it every time he doesn't get his way.  Later on back home you can give him a time out or with hold his dessert for his acting up.  If he has another tantrum because of it, just say, "If you don't stop you won't get dessert tomorrow either".  Show him you mean what you say.  I also believe that at the younger ages you are not exactly punishing the kid for something they did wrong but teaching them that what they did was wrong.  At age 2 or 3 they may not yet have the comprehension of understanding a one on one talk that you don't do this or that.  A light swat on the butt and a stern "NO!" can get that point across.  As kids get older, they understand some things are not acceptable but will test their parents to see what happens when they break the rules.  That's when punishments can become a time out or other things as the child begins to know what is right and what is wrong.  Parents need a lot of patience dealing with young kids and I think sometimes that is where they can get out of control with beatings and humiliation.

Under no circumstance should a child of any age be beaten with sticks, straps, fists or anything that can do bodily harm!  You read in the paper all the time about a child who has died from a beating their parent or mother's boy friend gave them for crying, soiling their pants or just bothering them while they were trying to watch their TV show.   I know the old "Woodshed" punishments where the parent took the kid out and swatted him on the butt with the wooden brush or leather strap to get the point across.  There are much better ways of punishing a kid.  Also, under no circumstances should a child of any age be humiliated in front of friends or family for what they did.  Humiliating a child can cause permanent scarring of their ego and self esteem.  I know from reading many posts how some parents have punished their children for things like wetting the bed or wetting their pants.  It's true 50 and 60 years ago some parents had a different mind set.  I'm not talking about parents who themselves had issues with drinking or other mental problems.  I'm speaking more about the dad who thinks his kid is a sissy or wimp and wants him to "Man Up".  If the kid wets the bed, he may be whipped for it.  He may also be put in diapers and paraded in front of his siblings, friends and peers all while his parents explain how he wets the bed and is being punished for it by having to wear diapers.  That is nothing but child abuse even if it results in no physical injury.  On top of that, it is pointless because the kid is just as upset that he wet his bed as his parents are.  He did not choose to wet his bed, especially knowing his mom and dad would severely punish him for doing so.  There is really nothing to be gained by punishing a child for wetting his bed.  The kid is scared and frightened already.  The solution is to assure the kid that others have the same problems and he will eventually grow out of it.  In the mean time, there are things like Goodnites (that we never had 50 years ago) that will help at night.

Now, back to some punishments.  As in the movie "A Christmas Story", people can get soap poisoning so I never thought washing a kid's mouth out with soap was a good idea although it might put the fear of what will happen to him if he curses again.  Think of it.  Do parents think the soap will "clean up his language"?  Now I'll speak my mind about the pacifier.  It was a bit of a fad about 20 years ago for teens to go around with a pacifier in their mouths and I think that fad has long passed.  Making a kid suck on a pacifier in front of others for cursing to me is akin to making him wear diapers in front of others for wetting his bed.  Rather than a punishment it is a humiliation and though it may achieve the desired results, there are better and less mentally harmful ways of getting the point across.

Not for the 2 or 3 year old's, but for kids old enough to know what they did is not acceptable.  First a good strong warning that if they do it again they will be punished.  You have now put it in the child's lap as to weather they decide to do the right thing or disobey the rules.  When the kid breaks the rules, no humiliation in front of friends or beating the child.  Use some judgement and creativity.  What is your child's favorite activity?  I'm not talking TV show or video game because if you with hold him from playing or watching his show, he will just watch it later on cable or the internet.  He can always play his video game later or at his friends house.  A punishment might be making him stay home instead of going on a special one time planned trip he had been looking forwards to.  A birthday party for one of his friends at an amusement park or special place.  A pro basketball or football game at the stadium.  Refuse to buy him that one special item he had been asking for that you said you would get him if he behaved and did good.  Yes, he will be upset and sad but you are not humiliating him with diapers or pacifiers or striking him.  It is more of a punishment that fits his age and it will hit home much more.  You are denying him something he wants to do or a promised item he has been wanting that is age related, and you can always wait a few days and counter with, "I will give you one more chance.  If you behave and don't get into trouble, I'll get you (whatever) next month".  He sees that you mean what you said in the first place, but you also have some compassion and are willing to give him a second chance, all on his shoulders to behave and do the right thing.  The punishment should also fit the crime.  For example, you told him he has to put his bike in the garage and not leave it out on the lawn.  He keeps leaving it out on the lawn anyway.  You don't tell him he can't go on the trip with everyone else to Disney World.  That is a far more sever punishment for the actual offence in this situation.  What you do is you take the bike away for 2 weeks.  When he has to walk instead of riding his bike, he may gain a better appreciation for his items and take better care of them rather than think of them as just an endless item he can always get from his parents if it gets ruined or stolen.

If the offence is greater, such as your 13 or 14 year old stealing items from the store or randomly vandalizing property in the neighborhood, then a bigger punishment is warranted.  You still don't beat your kid or publicly humiliate them.  First, ground him or her for up to a month.  Make him or her publicly apologize to the person he wronged.  Then I would have him work off the debt by doing jobs such as mowing the lawns, washing the cars, shoveling out snow from driveways and things around the house if he or she is not quite old enough to do lawn work for the neighbors.  Too often a kid gets in trouble and the parents bail him out and pay the fines.  That never teaches any responsibility and the kid never takes ownership for what he did wrong.  No incentive on the part of the kid to shape up.  This is a true story.  Years ago a judge returned home to find his house had been trashed by teens just out for fun.  He came up with a punishment to fit the crime.  When a teen was caught for vandalizing someone's property, he would speak with the kids parents.  In order to keep the kids record clean, he would ask if the parents would agree to this different kind of punishment.  On the court day, the parents were told to bring his favorite cherished item with him.  Then in front of the kid, the judge would destroy it!  With one kid he took his autographed Cleveland Indian's baseball hat and cut it up with shears.  Another kid had a prized remote control race car.  He tried to get away by bringing in a plastic car model instead but the judge made the parents go back home and bring in the actual R/C car.  Then he took a hammer to it and busted it up in front of the kid who was in tears.  Harsh?  Yes!  The judge always gave a speech to the kid before hand about the destruction he himself came home to in his own house.  The gist of his speech was about how some items may not mean a thing to other people but they can have deep cherished meanings for their owner.  Perhaps the cheap looking figurine was the very last gift received by a loved one before they passed away.  Maybe the item was a hand crafted family heirloom or the first thing their child made for them in kindergarten.  Even the expensive golf clubs that can be replaced are items that the owner had purchased and now has to pay to replace.  Mind you, the judge only did this after first gaining the parent's permission, but you can bet it made a much more lasting impression on the kid than a beating.  Minor things can have a minor punishment that still hits home.  The greater the offence, the greater the punishment is required but still one that teaches a lesson rather than just humiliating a kid, beating him whip ass style or one that makes things worse and turns the kid against you possibly causing him or her to do even worse things.