LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

New Disabled Restroom At O'Hare Airport

TV news had a story about the new disabled restrooms at Chicago O'Hare airport.  They have adult changing tables for one thing as well as showers and all that.  https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/01/06/changing-places-restroom-increases-accessibility-for-ohare-passengers-with-disabilities/   Those who wear diapers and travel through O'Hare airport now have a way to change their diapers without having to use a stall or try and stand up against a wall.  Also the shower might be a good thing for those who end up with a messy diaper and need a good cleaning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As O'Hare has been my home airport for decades I felt compelled to comment on this one.  

To start, I commend the City of Chicago for this level of commitment to disabled passengers.  

But realize that there is only one of these restrooms.  Located in Terminal 2.  American and United Airlines represent the bulk of flights at this airport.  American uses Terminal 3, United Terminals 1 and a portion of 2.  

You might say that a Terminal 2 placement is ideally centrally located.  As a COPD patient who wears diapers full time, I would suggest otherwise.  O'Hare is massive.  Setting aside any convenience issues, the time to travel between terminals would be significant and have an impact on the practical utility of these restrooms.  If your travels are limited to Terminal 2 then perhaps this will work for you.  Again, United flies a significant number of routes out of Terminal 2.  However, the check in, security, and baggage claim for these Terminal 2 flights are all located in Terminal 1.  

For significantly disabled persons who will benefit from these facilities this is a step forward and I sincerely hope that Chicago (Yes, O'Hare is run by the City) adds such features to the other terminals at this airport.

As an ambulatory diaper wearer, the benefit of this new restroom is offset by the location and my preference to not occupy facilities required by other with more significant needs.

A suggestion for O'Hare.  Consider adding Family Restrooms.  

• Like 1

family bathrooms are a great idea for all terminals.  One thing to keep in mind, this is the first bathroom like it at O'Hare.  I'm sure it was very costly and that may be one reason it was started in a more central location.  We can only hope that this is kind of a first dipping of the toes in the water to see the temperature before diving in whole hog.  Over time with usage, I expect there may be more of these special restrooms added in other terminals once they can justify the cost based on usage.