LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

How Did You Become Incontinent?

First off, I don't want to upset anyone...or offend anyone with this question. Its just that I've read a few posts like the one in "cartoony panties", where someone said "i would give anything to go back to regular underwear."

It just got me thinking, was is it that caused some of you to become incontinent? I understand for some of you this is a delicate question. To be honest, I'm just curious....that and how did you adjust when you lost all control.

Thanks,

logan

I was in a severe car accident 6 years ago. The seat belt caused a lot of internal injuries as well as the steering wheel. 7 surgeries later I am mostly back to normal except for the dual incontinence.

I have an entrapped sciatic nerve (similar to carpal tunnel but in my lower back). I may be dry for days and then with no warning I'm soaked in an instant. Goofy stuff like reaching for a cup of coffee is more apt to set it off than a day of throwing hay bales. Also a good coughing jag will drown me.

First off, I don't want to upset anyone...or offend anyone with this question. Its just that I've read a few posts like the one in "cartoony panties", where someone said "i would give anything to go back to regular underwear."

It just got me thinking, was is it that caused some of you to become incontinent? I understand for some of you this is a delicate question. To be honest, I'm just curious....that and how did you adjust when you lost all control.

Thanks,

logan

shoot down by friendly fire south east asia 1/17/1967

still have a peace of a airplane in my spine which sitts on the never that controls bladder always making it feel full so no feeling of need

and partial loss of control for bowels also due to open area of spinal cord at s1 and last L

that was most likey the cause of wetting problems as child if child today it would be a form of SB

When I was 14 years old I had abdominal surgery, and that was when we discovered that I have a "mild" bleeding disorder similar to hemophilia. I received 46 pints of blood before they got the bleeding stopped. Somehow that probably caused some nerve damage. In any case, I've had an overactive bladder and urge incontinence ever since.

, was is it that caused some of you to become incontinent? Thanks,

logan

I'm not yet incontinent, Logan, but may be soon. As the TV ads warn "you may have a growing problem", my prostate is slowly strangulating my urethra so that w/o intervention I may not be able to pee someday. Flomax is not working as hoped. The Dr has mentioned a TURP------where he goes in and cuts away part of the prostate gland. The major side effects are impotence and incontinence. How does this make me feel? I worry that I'll not regain bladder control as soon as I should because I like wearing diapers. I like wearing diapers when I want to, as I want to, NOT because I need to and cannot control my pee otherwise.

I'm not yet incontinent, Logan, but may be soon. As the TV ads warn "you may have a growing problem", my prostate is slowly strangulating my urethra so that w/o intervention I may not be able to pee someday. Flomax is not working as hoped. The Dr has mentioned a TURP------where he goes in and cuts away part of the prostate gland. The major side effects are impotence and incontinence. How does this make me feel? I worry that I'll not regain bladder control as soon as I should because I like wearing diapers. I like wearing diapers when I want to, as I want to, NOT because I need to and cannot control my pee otherwise.

a turp will open up the inside of the prostate and cause little to no nerve damage,if he has to do the sphinctors then thats a different case.

been there done that

I rolled a semi in 1985 and ended up with a compression injury at T10 and a herniated disc at L5/S1 as well as other injuries that have taken away all the sensory control of bowels and bladder.I was a D/L already so adjusting to diapers was not too difficult except not being able to go without.My bbiggest complaint would have to be the lack of information available back then and the terrible attitudes of the medical profession as well ,based on their belief this shouldn't happen to younger people,i was 29 then.I actually had doc's say that they thought i was faking and as little as two yrs ago i had a WCB doc try to blame it on munchausen syndrome,i did however win my court case against them partly because of that statement as the court ruled they where being unrealistic after 20 yrs of testing to come to a conclusion like that.

I'm happy in my diapers and only dealing with stupidity like that gets me pissed off.

An underdeveloped bladder finally caught up with me at about age 10. Diapers were just one way to deal with it but the longer I wore them the more dependant I became on them. Now Im fully incontinent most of the time.

You know, stories like that always remind me of something. It's surprisingly easy to damage a human body, but even more surprisingly hard to kill one. I think we're just more resilient than the medical professionals of the world would have us believe.

Note: I myself am not incontinent, but I felt that this was topical anyway.

My incontinence stems from this. When I was born, I was 3 1/2 months preemie. This resulted in oxygen deprivation, which then led to my having cerebral palsy. I guess you could say I was never fully potty trained, because I don't usually feel when I have to pee until I'm either going or it is far too late to make it to the toilet on time (probably a result of my CP). Plus I pee when i cough, sneeze, or laugh...so I was having accidents day and night, mostly just of urine, but on occassion I would have a messy accident as well. Bedwetting and messy accidents stopped at around 7 to 9 years old (for the most part), but I have always been a daywetter. At 10 years old I got fed up with peed pants all the time, so I put myself back into diapers. I don't usually feel when i need to pee anyway (and I think I'm losing control of my bowels now too), so why risk wet and messy pants? :fish_h4h:

To answer this question:

i've never been in the situation before, but how did you guys adapt? were you depressed? were you an ab/dl before this happened?

Oddly enough, after I put myself back into diapers from the incontinence, I found comfort from diapers ~ for the freedom part of it (no more wet/messy pants!) and also from fufilling an emotional void in my life, the sense of care and nurturing i didn't get as a child. That comfort from the diapers led me to explore babyish things ~ pacifiers, bottles, baby toys, etc...and that increased the comfort. I did some exploring, and that exploration led me to discover my AB-ness.

• 3 weeks later...

Abdominal gunshot wounds, Lost 5 1/2 feet of small intestine and nerve damage to my bladder.

To top that off, My medications for depression and mood swings also cause urge incontience.

Lithium, Seroquel,Paxil,Elevil. If I knew they were going to cause so many side affects I think I would have opted out of them.

After problems in childhood which lasted for longer than my parents would have liked, I got to be reasonably dry and managed myself well for a lot of years. My wife has told me she knew I had problems long before I admitted it and I kept up my morale by working very hard to make sure I was managing wet underpants etc, in a way that didn't cause embarrassment to other people.

But the fact was I was never really dry and got through a lot of changes of clothes because of small accidents -this was all a bit embarrassing and I knew I had to look for causes - so the Doctor found out I had diabetes and heart trouble that might be contributory.

So the answer to the question is that I had been close to being incontinent for a long time - but thought I had got the better of it.

The decisive day when I realized I would need to do something more came when I needed to use a toilet - but ht office where I had hoped to use the facilities was unexpectedly closed - luckily it was night-time and i was able to avoid wetting and soiling myself by dropping my pants in a public park and doing both on a flowerbed - I was (properly) very ashamed of this but although I avoided the worst kind of accident I still had wet and dirty underclothes to deal with when I got home.

I hadn't mentioned the wetting in bed and problems coping with that - I just tried not to sleep for too long and usually woke up in time to try to stop "going" before the sheets were very wet or dribbled my way along the passage to the bathroom.

All this was costing me sleep and self confidence - so I made the change to accepting that I was incontinent and set about getting protection - the relief was wonderful - I didn't have to worry about having accidents or minimizing the effects of them - and I could relax and sleep all night - OK I was almost always wet by the morning - but the diaper held it (mostly!) and I got to sleep right through.

So - like others have said - not everyone has a choice - but you have to make the most of things as they are - I am impressed by the accounts of people who lost bladder/bowel control because of traumatic crashes, etc and have admiration for those young people who wont ever have the 30 years of "being pretty reliably dry" that I enjoyed between ages 20 and 50.

• 3 weeks later...

I never knew why I didn't outgrow bedwetting until I was diagnosed with a spastic bladder. Complicate this with diabetes, which itself causes very frequent urination, plus antidepressants I need to take. They cause sleepiness AND incontinence, as someone above noted. Add a car accident, as has been mentioned by others in this thread, and the resulting damage to my lower spine for which I also need a cane. Throw in three childbirths, two of which produced babies over nine pounds, and one almost eleven pounds. And finally, worsen the situation with repeated UTI's causing a decrease in nerve sensation.

I don't have a chance. :fish_h4h:

My incontinence has been caused by 2 things.

Firsty at 13 I started having for at the time no apparrent reason, wetting accidents initially on the night, that then started to spread to during the day if I wasnt near a loo.

Went to see a Urologist and found out via urodynamics tests that I what is called an "overactive Bladder" and was told over time the wetting probs could get worse. Was told by my mid 40's - 50's I could be 24/7 inco

Anyways this was fair enough although having to go back into nappies on the night at 13 in boarding school was a bit daunting and prevoked a lot of teasing I made it through,

then in June 2005 I suffered a stroke that put me in hospital for several weeks !!. Pleased to say I have recovered pretty well from it all but one of the traits the stroke has left me with is Double incontinence, been told not to expect the control back, The stroke has put immense stress on the nervous system that sends the messages to the brain to tell me when I need the loo and with the overactive bladder on top of the problems as well im pretty stuffed. So unless I want wet and messy underwear my only choice is to wear and be in nappies 24 hours a day. 19 months on from the stroke and thats how I am in nappies all day every day and night as well. I can say that in general although hard at times I have adapted pretty well to being in nappies all the time, the only thing I still even though been this way for a while now find myself doing is kicking myself and feeling stupid for ending up with a poopy nappy, especially if out and about in public, it can be quite alarming when it happens. be out enjoying a afternoon in town and then feel my nappy squelching about where its full and having to cut my plans short to come home and change as stinky as rather annyoing but as a whole I get by.

Hope this Helps

Inco 24/7

My incontinence has been caused by 2 things.

Firsty at 13 I started having for at the time no apparrent reason, wetting accidents initially on the night, that then started to spread to during the day if I wasnt near a loo.

Went to see a Urologist and found out via urodynamics tests that I what is called an "overactive Bladder" and was told over time the wetting probs could get worse. Was told by my mid 40's - 50's I could be 24/7 inco

Anyways this was fair enough although having to go back into nappies on the night at 13 in boarding school was a bit daunting and prevoked a lot of teasing I made it through,

then in June 2005 I suffered a stroke that put me in hospital for several weeks !!. Pleased to say I have recovered pretty well from it all but one of the traits the stroke has left me with is Double incontinence, been told not to expect the control back, The stroke has put immense stress on the nervous system that sends the messages to the brain to tell me when I need the loo and with the overactive bladder on top of the problems as well im pretty stuffed. So unless I want wet and messy underwear my only choice is to wear and be in nappies 24 hours a day. 19 months on from the stroke and thats how I am in nappies all day every day and night as well. I can say that in general although hard at times I have adapted pretty well to being in nappies all the time, the only thing I still even though been this way for a while now find myself doing is kicking myself and feeling stupid for ending up with a poopy nappy, especially if out and about in public, it can be quite alarming when it happens. be out enjoying a afternoon in town and then feel my nappy squelching about where its full and having to cut my plans short to come home and change as stinky as rather annyoing but as a whole I get by.

Hope this Helps

Inco 24/7

Do you always go back home to change? I usually carry changing supplies with me so I can be changed if needed. What diaper do you use? and how often do you need to be changed? Do you have help being changed?

Do you always go back home to change? I usually carry changing supplies with me so I can be changed if needed. What diaper do you use? and how often do you need to be changed? Do you have help being changed?

No Tom I dont always go back home and yes my wife helps me change, as for brands well that varies, I mean when I can afford them I do buy a case or two of Abriform X Plus, but at the moment moneys tight so I make do with the free ones I get on the NHS which are Euron Forms. Do carry changing supplies, but again depends on where we are as to the facilities available. Certain parts of the town here have those pay loo's where u put 20p in and they lock you in for so long, prob is there isnt enough room to swing a cat in them, let alone get two people in one at the same time or change a nappy, so when in this area Ill either stay as I am until we can get somewhere to get me changed or cut the trip short to head home

Inco: ASSUMING I'm in a large enough space to do this, here is how I change myself: (This is when I'm wearing diapers; usually it's pads during the day.)

After cleaning myself up: I hold the diaper against a wall behind me, lining the waistband up where it will hit me right. Then I lean up against the wall which holds the diaper in place between my behind and the wall. I bend down and bring the front part up through my legs, tape first the top tapes and then the bottom. If there are three sets of tapes, I tape the middle ones last. It helps me get the diaper fitting properly, whereas if I, say, fastened all of the tapes on one side first and then the other, it wouldn't fit right. So I go top, bottom, middle if any. I've never had to have anyone help me change. Even if there isn't room for two people, there might be just enough room to lean against a wall. I can understand, though, why you would have this problem in a really tight space.

Just hoping to help. :)

EDIT: I'm sorry, Inco. I just re-read the previous posts, and I'd missed the part where you had a stroke. Would you be able to lean against a wall and change yourself? If not, I apologize. But I'll leave the information up in case it's helpful to someone else. :biker_h4h:

bit difficult for me to do it that way as cant grip properly on my right side due to weakness so thats why I have difficulty in changing myself, plus cant stand for long due to a damaged knee where a car backed into me going back a bit ago.

so heres what we do, find a space big enough, I lay down and then am undone and cleaned by wife, new nappy is slid underneath me, and my wife pulls it up between my legs I then do my best to hold the front straight whilst she 1st does up the bottom tabs then the top, then the leg cuffs are tucked in to make it all secure and finally the sides are pulled thru slightly to stop the lower tabs rubbing on my skin and thats it job done :)

Inco :)

Inco: ASSUMING I'm in a large enough space to do this, here is how I change myself: (This is when I'm wearing diapers; usually it's pads during the day.)

After cleaning myself up: I hold the diaper against a wall behind me, lining the waistband up where it will hit me right. Then I lean up against the wall which holds the diaper in place between my behind and the wall. I bend down and bring the front part up through my legs, tape first the top tapes and then the bottom. If there are three sets of tapes, I tape the middle ones last. It helps me get the diaper fitting properly, whereas if I, say, fastened all of the tapes on one side first and then the other, it wouldn't fit right. So I go top, bottom, middle if any. I've never had to have anyone help me change. Even if there isn't room for two people, there might be just enough room to lean against a wall. I can understand, though, why you would have this problem in a really tight space.

Just hoping to help. :)

EDIT: I'm sorry, Inco. I just re-read the previous posts, and I'd missed the part where you had a stroke. Would you be able to lean against a wall and change yourself? If not, I apologize. But I'll leave the information up in case it's helpful to someone else. :biker_h4h:

I'm sorry about your troubles, Inco. It must be very inconvenient for you to seek out a public place where your wife can help you change. :(

I'm having some new difficulties too--it's official, I have another UTI. I've been wet the last several nights in a row. Compare that to my usual once every two or three weeks. Another change: A lot of times, when I have a nighttime accident, I wake up after I've started wetting but before I'm done, so I don't end up really soaked. Lately, though, I'm sleeping right through it, waking up drenched, and having some daytime accidents as well. But even though my doctor was willing to write a prescription for diapers, it turns out that my state medical assistance no longer pays for them unless you're in a hospital or nursing home. So I have to buy my own diapers. Big, big expense for me. :( Well, I'm not sure those government issue diapers would do me much good anyway. They leak very easily and probably wouldn't last through the night. Might as well not wear them, if I'm going to wet the bed anyway.

I do consider myself fortunate that I can change my own diapers.

bit difficult for me to do it that way as cant grip properly on my right side due to weakness so thats why I have difficulty in changing myself, plus cant stand for long due to a damaged knee where a car backed into me going back a bit ago.

so heres what we do, find a space big enough, I lay down and then am undone and cleaned by wife, new nappy is slid underneath me, and my wife pulls it up between my legs I then do my best to hold the front straight whilst she 1st does up the bottom tabs then the top, then the leg cuffs are tucked in to make it all secure and finally the sides are pulled thru slightly to stop the lower tabs rubbing on my skin and thats it job done :)

Inco :)