LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Actually useful life hacks

As most of us probably know, most youtube videos about "life hacks" are just plain stupid, so I wanted to see if anyone has some that actually make sense.  

I've found a few that are pretty useful:

- Microwave self clean - if you have any difficult crud in your microwave, put a wet dish towel over the crud and run the microwave for about 30 seconds.

- Easy peel eggs - after cooking hard boiled eggs, immediately put ice in the pot, and the shell will be easier to peel

- Loose battery connection - for battery powered devices that flicker and/or shut off unexpectedly, the most likely problem is a loose battery connection, which can be fixed by folding up a small piece of aluminum foil and putting it between the battery(ies) and the device's terminal(s).

Anyone else know of any good life life hacks?

• 2 weeks later...

If you car battery terminal won't go tight enough use a screw in between the post and terminal.

You can start a fire with a piece of wire and a car battery.  I prefer using jumper cables batter and wire.

• 3 weeks later...

For crud-coated cookware, put water in it then put it on or in the stove and cook the crud back off. Works like a charm.

Diswasher not doing the job? Try using less detergent, not more. The compounds which replaced phosphates stop being effective if there's too much of them. Especially good with glassware spotting and haze.

Stop wasting money on plastic clips to close plastic bags. Use "Acme" clips after folding the bag a few times. 10 for a dollar and they won't loosen or fall off. You can reseal those bags like factory with a cheap hair-straightening iron: start in the middle, slide sideways, then do the other side.

Coffee pot hazy? Clean with a brush and ice cold water- heat makes the residue adhere and smear instead of coming off.

Use fabric-covered hair scrunchies instead of rubber bands for cable storage. No more gummy residue and won't break.

Semi-solid canned foods like cranberry sauce and dog food wants to stick in the can. Poke a hole in the bottom after opening and blow through it to push the contents out.

Need "C" size batteries but only have "AA" size? Wrap the smaller ones in paper or cardboard, they're the same length.

Tons of house-hold hacks online but many are more trouble than they are worth or rely on specific products which are different where you live.

Bettypooh

• 1 year later...

Power cut? No heating?

Get 2 bricks, sit a terracotta plant pot on top of the bricks with a space between the bricks and light some tealights under it, it heats a decent size room.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, WetDad said:

WTF? I would use a plant, but WTF is this terracotta shit? 

i think bumblebee means this

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pennington-15-748-in-W-x-14-173-in-H-Terra-cotta-Clay-Planter/999982026

obviously it would need that flatter round thing under it, ive seen a cooking show dude use those things with the planter pots for cooking (good eats with alton brown), im skeptical of the heat that this would give off, and the safety of it

remembered one thing i told an uncle to do when when had no heating pad and hurt his shoulder, i gave him one of my diapers and told him to pour water in it and nuke it for 30 seconds and check it to see if its warm enough, it was one of those with a clothlike outer lining, so i didnt tell to add a towel over it, just put over the hurt area, works like a heating pad, i read that tip involving baby diapers, but the instructions i read said to also put the baby diaper in a plastic baggy and wrap with a sock(inside it) or a towel. this makes me think of a hack i did for mom when she had knee surgery and the heating pad didnt work, i took some flat stones and heated them on the stove(i think i put them in water and heated that way, it was a long time ago) and took those hot stones and put them in an oven mitt, worked decently enough

• Like 1

All you had to say was "Oh how would this work" Like I said there was no need to be rude and I expected a lot more from someone of your ranking and age.

I accept your apology.

• Like 1
On 5/17/2020 at 6:39 AM, Bumble_Bee_J said:

If you have dents in the carpets from heavy furniture or items place an ice cube in the dent and let it melt.

Nice idea! I'll have to try that.

On 5/17/2020 at 9:39 AM, Bumble_Bee_J said:

If you have dents in the carpets from heavy furniture or items place an ice cube in the dent and let it melt.

@Bumble_Bee_J @WetDad

I think what happens is you put the ice in the marks, let it melt, then when the carpet is dry, you VACUUM the area, and If I am not mistaken, it removes the marks, or makes them less noticeable - You may have to do this multiple times, over multiple days to get the marks to lessen, before they are completely gone:  Saw this one on YouTube  - Pretty good Trick :)

Have a Great Day!

Brian

8 minutes ago, Bumble_Bee_J said:

I read about it and it didn't mention vacuuming or doing it multilabel times. So I'm not sure.

@Bumble_Bee_J

I saw a guy do this: It is useful if you have a heavy piece that has been in one place and you want to remove the marks:  Think the ice helps to loosen up the carpet pile/fibers that have been mushed down, so that when the carpet dries. the beater bar on the vacuum sort of wakes up the carpet.  Depending on the length of time the piece has been on a particular section of the carpet, you may have to do it more than once to get results:  If I find the video that shows that, I will post it right here :)

Take Care,

Brian

I have one:

When You have to run wires. cables, switches and other networking equipment, and you have to have them on the floor, and have to bring them up to a computer on a desk, simply tie your cables and wires to a Coat Hanger, and then PULL them UP to your equipment that is awaiting connection.  This way, you don't hurt your back trying to push wire up from the bottom of the desk at floor level, and you can use another hanger to retrieve the one on the floor, then connect them, after untying the wire from the hanger:  Works well for me :)

You can also tag all your wires with location numbers or functions, then ziptie a bunch together, and then bring them to your routers or switches, that way, you know what the equipment is that is connected to the wire, what position number it is, and what the switch does, or where it serves you internet.  This is also helpful if you have like 15-20 switches, or a multiple floor building, and you assign and mark switches for sections of the building.  In the days of Wireless internet, there may be at least 2 or more hotspots, and depending on the building size and layout, you may have several, so the building can be served effectively.  These hacks should be helpful to those who have to run wires, or other network devices :)

Brian

• 4 months later...

Trash can, diaper pail, or garbage disposal smelling horrible?  Add some baking soda.

Can't keep small screws, nuts, bolts, etc, organized?  Put them in an egg carton.

Need a low cost alternative to using bed pads?  Put some bath towels down instead.

I just remembered another GREAT One :)

Many of you know that I use a Wheelchair and other mobility Devices.  When I was younger, in Grade School, I had to carry a KEY for the Elevator.  I attached that to a keyring, and sometimes lost that, and I would always worry that I would lose my keys. 

In 2009, I had a lot of keys to carry, so what I did was take a page out of my uncle Jack's Hacks:  I had 2 sets of keys, a small carry bag and sometimes had to carry electronics so that they were in easy reach.  Here is what I did.

Go to a local hardware store, and buy 3-5 carabeaners: They should be heavy duty, Metal, LARGE ones, because you want to be sure that they are not gonna break on you: 

Next: to make sure you don't lose a small carry bag: attach one on these to the bag itself.  Then attach the other 2 to your belt loops.  Now you can adjust what you are carrying.  On my RIGHT Carabeaner, I attach my 2 sets of keys to it: one has a hook to which I attach the other set, so 2 sets of keys are connected to each other, and then there is a RING to attach to the right carabeaner.

The LEFT one can carry The Carry bag, a DS/Switch/camera or whatever you need, and when you have the carry bag, you can put things IN it to carry, which means you don't have to risk the loss of the tech devices.  You should attach a carabeaner to the bag itself, so all you have to do is attach carabeaners to each other.

If you only need to carry smaller items, attach the carabeaner to the objects carry handle on its case.  Most times, you will KNOW where the heck they are all the time, and you can FEEL them at your left or right side.

Best thing is, you KNOW where the stuff is, if it is attached to your person!

Brian