LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

thnking of going back to school

suzuki2011

What field are you in? Some do require college but many don't or they have positions you can advance from where a degree isn't required. I know of a guy in engineering design who does OK but he has no engineering degree, only a very good knowledge of his particular job. Similar positions exist in many fields where most people believe a degree is required but isn't. If you do go back, avoid the 'for profit' schools as a lot of those aren't accredited with the right agencies to allow you to transfer credits, and their degrees are often not accepted by larger companies. There's a good "Tech" school system here and many of the bigger companies have hiring programs through them.

Just don't get too deep in debt doing this, as the rules for student loans have changed and you can't escape or reduce that debt anymore. Maybe better to get a lower degree to get your foot in the door with a company who will provide for assistance in furthering your education through them after you've been there awhile ;)

Bettypooh

@bettypooh

oh i know all about it my best friend went to engineering collage and his loans were crazy if he didnt say screw it and just pay them off they wouldnt have ben done until 2055 he would have been 65-66

i think you asked what feild. i want to go into physics

8 hours ago, Bettypooh said:

Maybe better to get a lower degree to get your foot in the door with a company who will provide for assistance in furthering your education through them after you've been there awhile ;)

This is what one of my friends did.  A company is paying for her medical degree; in return, she's signed a contract that says after graduation, she has to work for them for a number of years. 

16 hours ago, Bettypooh said:

What field are you in? Some do require college but many don't or they have positions you can advance from where a degree isn't required. I know of a guy in engineering design who does OK but he has no engineering degree, only a very good knowledge of his particular job. Similar positions exist in many fields where most people believe a degree is required but isn't. If you do go back, avoid the 'for profit' schools as a lot of those aren't accredited with the right agencies to allow you to transfer credits, and their degrees are often not accepted by larger companies. There's a good "Tech" school system here and many of the bigger companies have hiring programs through them.

Just don't get too deep in debt doing this, as the rules for student loans have changed and you can't escape or reduce that debt anymore. Maybe better to get a lower degree to get your foot in the door with a company who will provide for assistance in furthering your education through them after you've been there awhile ;)

Bettypooh

I second this. Start at a community college to further cut costs. Also, try to pay without student loans by working a job or running a business while you are doing this. FYI, you can also make your own business. It takes work, but not anymore work than school.

Physics is good. I'm an expert in that area myself, but my field of study was something else. Unfortunately Bettypooh, in physics, you have to get a BS as an associates is only good for transfers to a university and not much else, so skip the lower degree if you want to work in your field. If you go for a PhD though, you won't accrue any tuition bills. They don't cost money in the physics and engineering disciplines since you get tuition payed+stipend when you work as a TA or RA, only costs 4-5 years of your life, but if you enjoy research, it will be the best 4-5 years of your life.

• Like 2

@Diapered Jason I want my masters. But a PhD would be nice, but I thought you couldn't study for a PhD you had to be awarded it. Somthing to the affect of you do very well with your MA and then you write a thesis and get letters of recommendations from your professors and then a board considers you for your doctorat 

32 minutes ago, suzuki2011 said:

@Diapered Jason I want my masters. But a PhD would be nice, but I thought you couldn't study for a PhD you had to be awarded it. Somthing to the affect of you do very well with your MA and then you write a thesis and get letters of recommendations from your professors and then a board considers you for your doctorat 

No, you complete your bachelors, study like made for the GRE, then apply for graduate school. Graduate school is pretty much only for a PhD. Most universities don't offer a Master's degree program. Typically a masters is obtained on the way to the completion of a PhD or when you fail to get your PhD. Some departments offer a three year program where you obtain a bachelors and a masters together, but that is on a different level than a PhD.

To get your PhD, there are typically three major exams, your second year exam, your thesis proposal, and finally, your thesis defense, all of which is done in front of your thesis committee. The first one is the toughest, but it gets easier especially if you know your stuff. If you are ready, the defense is actually the easiest, but it takes time to get there. The whole thing takes 4-6 years depending on how disciplined and how much time you can allocate to your research, but only the first 2-3 years are you taking courses, and only 1-2 at a time. Most of what makes up a PhD is time spent in research with your professor. It is a job and you are employed by the university as a research assistant, but it is a fun job if you enjoy research and working with your professor.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Diapered Jason said:

No, you complete your bachelors, study like made for the GRE, then apply for graduate school. Graduate school is pretty much only for a PhD. Most universities don't offer a Master's degree program. Typically a masters is obtained on the way to the completion of a PhD or when you fail to get your PhD. Some departments offer a three year program where you obtain a bachelors and a masters together, but that is on a different level than a PhD.

To get your PhD, there are typically three major exams, your second year exam, your thesis proposal, and finally, your thesis defense, all of which is done in front of your thesis committee. The first one is the toughest, but it gets easier especially if you know your stuff. If you are ready, the defense is actually the easiest, but it takes time to get there. The whole thing takes 4-6 years depending on how disciplined and how much time you can allocate to your research, but only the first 2-3 years are you taking courses, and only 1-2 at a time. Most of what makes up a PhD is time spent in research with your professor. It is a job and you are employed by the university as a research assistant, but it is a fun job if you enjoy research and working with your professor.

the school i looked at online offers BA MA PhD in physics

@Diapered Jason