LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Pacifier and CPAP

I recently started using a CPAP for mild apnea.    I've used it for 2 nights and I'm still getting used to.

One of the issues I've had is that I have a tendency to mouth breath when I sleep, which is probably a big reason for the apnea.   That's a problem for the CPAP machine with a nasal mask, because it's not comfortable to inhale through your mouth, and the pressure increases if you exhale.    My way of dealing with it was: keep my pacifier in my mouth, which kept my mouth shut.   I have never been able to fall asleep with a pacifier because of the mouth breathing- but it worked.   The couldn't try it the first night because I could't find my pacifier.  I use a cover over a disposable to control leaks when I sleep and it was between the diaper and cover (no leaks- so not a problem).     Last night I first slept with the pacifier and it controlled my mouth breathing, but woke up and tried it without the pacifier.  It was tough, so the pacifier went back in and went back to REM sleep.  If I do start breathing through my mouth- it stops when I actively suck the pacifier.

I have noticed that I'm not using my diaper overnight.   Ii typically would wake up overnight and consciously let a small amount of urine into my diaper periodically.  I find it easier to release when I'm already wet, and it is almost subconscious if I'm already significantly wet.  However, it hasn't happened with the CPAP machine yet.  That partly because I'm sleeping in longer cycles- and partly because I have difficulty initiating my stream with the mask and CPAP  machine.   

SInce my adult pacifier is now a legitimate medical device- can I use my FSA account?I ?   BTW- I'm not sure if I'm willing to share the bit with the pacifier with the sleep therapist, but I got the idea when I looked up non-CPAP methods to treat sleep apnea and saw an oral device that did the same thing.

I could not get used to a full face mask at all, so after 3 weeks I got a pillow mask which just fits in my nostrils.  So Much Better!  I really can't breath through my mouth with it so no problem there.  It may just take a little getting used to it, but eventually you just won't breathe through your mouth with a pillow mask (elastic band only around your head with the mask being super small and just fitting in your nostrils only).

3 hours ago, rusty pins said:

I could not get used to a full face mask at all, so after 3 weeks I got a pillow mask which just fits in my nostrils.  So Much Better!  I really can't breath through my mouth with it so no problem there.  It may just take a little getting used to it, but eventually you just won't breathe through your mouth with a pillow mask (elastic band only around your head with the mask being super small and just fitting in your nostrils only).

Thanks- I'm stubborn, so I'll keep trying it.   I only have 18 more nights to reach 3 weeks.   By then I may be completely fed up.   I'm going to take up to my dad's house and use it up there over Christmas, but I'm going to Hawaii in January and have already decided that I'm going to 'forget' the damn thing at home.   

The pacifier is not a big deal at home, because I live by myself.   I do notice that it causes a lot of salivae, so if I do wake up I want to wipe up the drool.   

On 12/20/2018 at 8:35 PM, spark said:

Thanks- I'm stubborn, so I'll keep trying it.   I only have 18 more nights to reach 3 weeks.   By then I may be completely fed up.   I'm going to take up to my dad's house and use it up there over Christmas, but I'm going to Hawaii in January and have already decided that I'm going to 'forget' the damn thing at home.   

The pacifier is not a big deal at home, because I live by myself.   I do notice that it causes a lot of salivae, so if I do wake up I want to wipe up the drool.   

Don't give up the machine is worth it. I use a face mask myself, but they do have a chin strap thing you can use to help train you to keep your mouth closed. The good sleep is worth it. I also noticed a dryer diaper in the morning. Doctor says it is because my body is finally going into a true sleep mode.

On 12/21/2018 at 12:35 PM, spark said:

CPAP veteran here.   I had to kind of crash through a mental barrier.  The first couple of weeks were no fun at all (and my sleep was worse than ever) but a tail wind for me was that my wife was wildly enthusiastic about me using it (killed snoring 100%).  You DO get to the place whereby you really don't notice it but it takes a little time.

Now, 3 years down the track I have the reverse problem.  On a couple of occasions I've had to try to sleep without it:  a power outage after a major storm and United deciding to send my luggage to a different city than the rest of me.  I just couldn't sleep.

About a month ago I had to have some minor surgery.  It was day surgery and so the  hospital instructions were NOT to bring the CPAP machine.  I was in recovery 2 after the general anesthetic and all I wanted to do was sleep but I could not.  I was acutely aware of and awoken by the choking sensation within minutes of nodding off - something that I was previously habituated to.

Got back home, went to bed, put on the mask, lights out...

Sleep apnoea is an insidious disorder.  You don't realise how much it sucks until you've managed to get on top of a therapy that controls it.  Keep going.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, oznl said:

CPAP veteran here.   I had to kind of crash through a mental barrier.  The first couple of weeks were no fun at all (and my sleep was worse than ever) but a tail wind for me was that my wife was wildly enthusiastic about me using it (killed snoring 100%).  You DO get to the place whereby you really don't notice it but it takes a little time.

Now, 3 years down the track I have the reverse problem.  On a couple of occasions I've had to try to sleep without it:  a power outage after a major storm and United deciding to send my luggage to a different city than the rest of me.  I just couldn't sleep.

About a month ago I had to have some minor surgery.  It was day surgery and so the  hospital instructions were NOT to bring the CPAP machine.  I was in recovery 2 after the general anesthetic and all I wanted to do was sleep but I could not.  I was acutely aware of and awoken by the choking sensation within minutes of nodding off - something that I was previously habituated to.

Got back home, went to bed, put on the mask, lights out...

Sleep apnia is an insidious disorder.  You don't realize how much it sucks until you've managed to get on top of a therapy that controls it.  Keep going.

Exactly! I avoided a CPAP for years because I never thought I would be able to sleep with one ever though people I talked to who had them all said they were great.  It takes a little getting used to, but once I exchanged my full face mask for a pillow mask  https://www.easybreathe.com/-p4209.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIquG1zbuz3wIViwJpCh2HNQzHEAYYASABEgL-ZvD_BwE  things were great.  I took it along on a trip where I had to share a hotel room with a friend.  No snoring and no problems.  The simple fact was, when I had my sleep apnia test it showed I stopped breathing for more than 10 seconds each time over 50 times in one hour.  That can lead to heart problems, stroke and heart attack from lack of oxygen.  I will not sleep without my CPAP.  I did have a problem when the power went out for a day and a half and the generator was broke.  I did manage to get to sleep but it was very hard and I woke up every hour or less.  I believe if you get the right kind of mask, it will be great!  I've also heard my pulmonary doctor say some people wear a chin strap, like an elastic head sweat band around the top of their head down under their chin if they have a problem sleeping with their mouth closed.  With the pillow mask, it forces the air through your nostrils and if you try and open your mouth and breath, it won't work because excess air goes out and not in.

If you frequently have problems with the power going out, then you may want to have a backup battery to power your CPAP device, so your ability to sleep isn't tied to the power grid or your generator. Not sure of the power needs of the device, but a 12 volt car battery (or two) would probably do the trick.

I now can not sleep without my CPAP.

A couple weeks ago the power went out but since i live in a class A motorhome i have three deep cycle batteries that i can use for backup to power my CPAP.