LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Do catherers hurt?

11 minutes ago, willnotwill said:

Well, it's not the most pleasant thing, but certainly not the most painful thing I've endured.

Was this under some sort of numbing/pain reduction?

The first and only one I had was for my first knee replacement.  I was somewhat groggy when it was put in but did notice some discomfort.  By the time it was removed several days latter, I didn't notice it till it was withdrawn.  I felt discomfort for almost a week after as a result.  Doc suggested this was due to my enlarged prostrate?  In any case, that is why the next time I went to the hospital, I had a no cath order on my paperwork and even with that, had to stop a nurse that was about to insert one prior to a procedure following which I got to experience my first hospital diaper, far more comfortable!!

OK, I went to find it but it appears the InVision post eater wiped out all but the first line of that post.

About two years ago, I started having foley catheter fantasies, so I ordered some and all the accessories and things I would need to put one in me.    I almost chickened out before I got the thing fully inserted but once in place it wasn't that bad.   However it was uncomfortable enough that after an hour or so I removed it.   It didn't quite live up to my fantasy.

The biggest issue is that they quite often use the wrong size.  They were using an 18Fr on me in the hospital, which was causing spasms at the bladder neck and through the urethra.  That made it incredibly painful.  

I'm currently wearing a 14Fr Foley, and I can't even feel it. It didn't hurt to insert (just a bit of a burning sensation as it passed through the prostate and a sharper but of pain as it first hit the bladder sphincter), and they don't hurt to withdraw either. 

It took lots of experimenting to find the right size that didn't cause spasms.  Too small would cause pain and bladder spasms, too big would cause sphincter and urethral spasms which became progressively more painful as they continued.  But 14Fr with a 10cc balloon is magical for me, I can't even feel it 95% of the time.

No, I’ve been using catheters and stents a little over 12 years now, and they do not hurt, not during install and not while it is doing its job. This said it might be different with the next guy.

On 10/8/2018 at 5:28 PM, beallucanb said:

A nurse did mine in the hospital, after my accident.

I will run and hide if anyone ever approaches me with one again.

Ive been told I might have to use a catheter for medical purposes. Do they use any kind of pain reduction or try to make it more comfortable? Ive had several spinal taps and its not as bad as their reputation indicates mainly because hospital use pain reduction techniques like freezing for it. But Im still afraid of the catheter unless somebody can tell me its not as bad as it sounds.

It's far from the most painful medical procedure I've had.   Them trying to do an FNA of a parotid tumor hurt way more.   I'd just put it at unpleastant.

In many cases they'll put it in while you're out for other reasons.

They told me point you toes toward the ceiling then they proceeded to push it in.

At the time I was on morphine administered at the accident site, and flown to the level 1 trauma center.

Perhaps they have improved, I wouldn't count on that too much.

Who knows right now, maybe you won't mind it,  I remember the  going in and the coming out neither was very pleasant.

I've had one once and I was knocked out when it was put in. And when they took it out I don't remember feeling anything except having to pee almost immediately. Of course they said I shouldn't need to but I did.

Do catheters hurt 

IS THE SKY BLUE?

On a serious note I had to have one when I had UTI because I couldn't produce a urinary sample and it was truly excruciatingly painful why anyone would want one or willingly take one without being forced to do so is beyond me 

Depends on what you mean by "hurt"

I had one in hospital cause I couldn't pee after getting out of surgery, didn't feel anything, but i got pain killers and morphine 

Did one at home many years later and it were uncomfortable, but can't say it hurt, but I found out it were to small and it wiggled inside, so I took it out and then it stung 

Never tried to insert a catheter after that, not cause it might hurt, but I don't want to risk a UTI and incontinence isn't really my thing

Ok there is a lot of comments on here of the pain levels of a cath being put in and even taken out..

Seems like some people are saying it is REALLY painfull.

Fact I have been playing with caths for a while now and no it does not hurt. I little discomfort the first few time..... um slightly stingy but I gently carried on with putting it in.

Now here is the thing it took a long while for me to get to the stage of putting a cath in with a lot of research.

Everywhere said if it causes pain STOP not to cause injury.

In other word if you are getting major pain putting a cath in you are doing something wrong and I would stop untill your know what you are doing wrong so you do not cause yourselve damage.

It was extremely painful for me, but I was a wreck just out of surgery then. Morphine and Demerol weren't enough to help with the pain. So it DOES vary, but it seems for most folks it isn't too bad. If you try it you'll know quickly where you're at on the pain scale.

Bettypooh