LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

The end of Disposables?

Elfy

14 minutes ago, Dubious said:

a few cities in Norway collect food waste and diapers are to be put in that waste and then it get composted 

Has to be put in biobags before throwing out or it would just be a big mess..

Maybe we should send Michael Gove to Norway then.  I'm prepared to chip in towards a one-way ticket...

Maybe "recycling" is not the best term for disposable diapers.  "Repurposing" might be better.  By that, instead of recycling to reuse them, repurpose them by burning them for fuel.  I know that they probably wouldn't produce the BTU's required for a lot of energy, but add them as extra fuel to old tires, coal and you have a way to get rid of them and maybe add a little energy at the same time.  Yeah, the cost might not be worth it, but what do they want?  Reduce the carbon footprint in landfills or just let them rot for eons. 

33 minutes ago, Dubious said:

Recycling and burning can make a lot of jobs for Mexicans, seeing that Americans don't want those jobs..

Problem is, after "the wall", they won't be here in the USA to do those jobs!  The wall is dumb!

I predicted disposable diapers would probably be in the firing line eventually:

I’m sure our favorite brands could re-engineer there products to decompose and such better, even plastic backed: it worked with polyphone bags and they didn’t go cloth backed either lol.

It’s a shame we don’t use space travel and bury our shit on another planet in our solar system and clear our landfills on earth but there you go.

"It’s a shame we don’t use space travel and bury our shit on another planet in our solar system and clear our landfills on earth but there you go."

You think your garbage fees are high now....  :D

• Like 1
20 hours ago, vvp39 said:

"It’s a shame we don’t use space travel and bury our shit on another planet in our solar system and clear our landfills on earth but there you go."

Well, interesting thought but we are already screwing up our own planet environmentally, so what you are suggesting is we now screw up other virgin planets in our own solar system?

Here is one reason I don't believe disposable diapers will be going anywhere soon, at least in the United States.  Here is just an example to think about.  Why are there so many school shootings, mass killings and the like?  Gun laws and lobbyists.  You have a huge faction in the NRA and even though people are upset at all the killings and the ease in which even people with mental problems can get guns, things won't change due to all the gun owners and the NRA.  You have that big of a population who are gun owners and a powerful nation wide organization backing them up.  You can easily see how impossible it has been to change or come out with new laws and regulations regarding guns (and before I get attacked, I own 8 guns myself).  Too much influence on our congressmen not to make any changes to the laws.  Now, step back and look at all the parents who buy disposable diapers, pull ups and goodnites for their kids who will be upset if there were no more disposable diapers and they had to start using cloth diapers.  That is a huge part of it, but then think of companies like Kimberly Clark and Proctor and Gamble who's bigger part of their business is making Huggies, Depends, Pampers and Luvs.  Then you have companies like Tena who make adult products for all the people using pull on disposable bladder leakage underwear.  I'm not even talking about  those who wear adult diapers or the companies who make Inspire, Rearez, Bambino and all the other adult and AB/DL diapers.  You have many big powerful companies who employ thousands of workers making disposable diapers.  You think they won't be lobbying their congressmen to vote against any move to ban disposable diapers?  Of course they will, with TV adds and anything they can do to try and shame their elected officials and threaten not to vote for them if they take a stand on outlawing disposable diapers.  To them, profits and job employment are so much more important than the environment and diapers sitting in landfills for eons.  Since congressmen will not want to lose their jobs, especially those in districts where factories and employees make these disposable diapers, they will vote against laws banning disposable diapers.  I very much doubt disposable diapers are going anywhere but in your trash cans and eventually the landfill, same as has been happening for years.

In the 1980'd REASON magazine did an article in which they said that "biodegradeable diapers would be worse" because they would release heavy\-duty toxins into the environment which could get into things like the water table

At one time you were supposed to rinse the pamper in the toilet as part of getting it ready to be disposed of. Even that was considered inadequate by the older generation, who lived through the Depression and considered the whole idea of single-use diapers to be horribly wasteful and being "too rich" and "money burns a hole in your pocket". Looking at the lack of savings and the looming pension crhises, who's to say they were not right with regard to the whole throw-away culture? What do we do when China and the rest of the Third Wrold no longer wants to make cheap razors and things like that as they follow in the footsteps of all nations that start out making cheap goods and want to get the kind of money that makes throw-away impractical, as did Japan and Korea

22 hours ago, vvp39 said:

Alternatively we give everyone rocket launchers, put the garbage bags in the end then aim somewhere towards the moon and hope it lands LOL ?

3 hours ago, rusty pins said:

Well, interesting thought but we are already screwing up our own planet environmentally, so what you are suggesting is we now screw up other virgin planets in our own solar system?

No it was me who suggested screwing up another planet

23 hours ago, Apache Raccoon said:

It’s a shame we don’t use space travel and bury our shit on another planet in our solar system and clear our landfills on earth but there you go.

Half the planets in our solar system whilst nice to look at and learn about have no real point to them: you can’t live on them or grow stuff on them can’t do much with them on the whole so why not do something useful with one of them?

Planet earth is the one with life and atmosphere and all that stuff so why screw up and pollute the one planet that we can actually properly live on? why not pollute a Virgin planet? 

I know it's probably a stupid idea in the cold light of day but you can probably see my thinking :)

On 10/5/2018 at 3:30 PM, rusty pins said:

Problem is, after "the wall", they won't be here in the USA to do those jobs!  The wall is dumb!

Well, if wall get built, you have a landfill on the other side

Not like the Mexicans can do anything to stop you..

Disposable diapers are not going anywhere, the market is massive and for any manufacturer, profit is a number one priority, whatever they say. Things like cost, environmental burden, customer satisfaction and whatever other thing their PR department talks about are just factors in their profit making formula. If most of their customers were environmental-minded people who saw that the products they use is causing too much environmental damage for their liking, it would affect the companies profit and they would themselves make efforts to be more environmentally friendly. But I doubt that is the case, hence the existence of a political push on manufacturers to be more environment minded. Obviously many people view that as an infringement of their freedom. They may even be aware of the problems of landfills and garbage islands, but as long as they don't have them on their own backyard... Out of sight, out of mind. 

Whether biodegradable diapers are worse for the environment or worse functioning (biodegradable plastic does exist) is a more complex issue than one can decide from their keyboard so I'd be wary of making premature judgment. 

Moving trash to other planets has no advantages that I can think of; you'd basically be using limited raw materials and energy we have to get rid of billions of tons of a mass that may in future be otherwise utilized, or perhaps even necessary. In other words, doing that we could very easily be consuming massive amounts of finite resources just to get rid of other resources. And that would not be a very smart thing to do. 

On 10/5/2018 at 7:15 AM, Apache Raccoon said:

I predicted disposable diapers would probably be in the firing line eventually:

I’m sure our favorite brands could re-engineer there products to decompose and such better, even plastic backed: it worked with polyphone bags and they didn’t go cloth backed either lol.

Well there is that one moon wayyy out there in the solar system that has a sea of petroleum.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...