LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

What does bowel incontinence feel like?

Elbs

I hope it's OK to post a question here even though I'm not incontinent, just a fetishist.

I find it easy to imagine bladder incontinence, but I find it weirdly difficult to imagine bowel incontinence. Maybe because I have chronic constipation myself. I can readily imagine diarrhea related incontinence, but I don't like diarrhea. But bowel incontinence without diarrhea, what is that like?

If this is not an appropriate topic for this subforum, I apologize.

I've wondered this, too. Is there any sensation at all that your bowel is filling up,  or do you,  just all of a sudden, notice a smell and that your diaper is full

Not being bowel incontinent I can't answer for sure but I suspect a lot depends on your ability to sense anything in your rectum. Most bowel incontinent people would probably practice some form of bowel routine to avoid accidents.

However, someone without control of their sphincter but still retaining sensation might feel an impending movement approaching but insufficient time to react to it, therefore protection is needed to avoid a messy accident.

Someone without anal feeling but otherwise not confined to a wheelchair, such as some forms of MD but still in possession of otherwise normal peristalsis probably feels a weight change and a smell.

People in wheelchairs due to paralysis is a whole other topic.

From my understanding, Bowel Incontinence is normally a side effect of paralysis, or a result of muscle degeneration. In both these cases, I think this is just a reminder of a lot of other crappy issues they deal with.

Now there are apparently a lot in this community who have trained bowel incontinence, but I am not sure how many of them walk the line between acting is if they had no control, and actually having trained away control...

I'm urinary incontinent but have trained myself with bowel incontinence. Now it just happens. I feel it after it's started. It's a wonderful feeling is the only way I can explain it and suggest anyone who has thought about it to at least try it to find out for yourself. I have trained the control away with zero regrets. Clean up is easy and quick. It;s not for everyone but for me there is no turning back. Nor will I ever want to.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on your injury or problem to have bowel incontinence. Mine stem from nerve damage in lower back ( spinal cord injury). 4 lower back surgery's with a 5th on the way. Just to say you can never trust a fart.  having nerve damage sucks. As the doctor calls it, getting mixed signals with the sphincter muscle area.  weak sphincter muscle and diarrhea better stay home on that day.

I don't know why any one would want to be bowel incontinence on purpose. stinky and smelly and a pain to clean up.

• Like 2

I'm spinal cord injured, and have spotty sensation below my injury level (mid-chest). Like someone mentioned above, I too typically did a bowel program to minimize accidents, but I averaged about one accident every 6 months or so.

To answer the topic question, what it feels like for me...

Usually I'll feel a sudden pressure in my abdomen. At that moment I tend to stop whatever I'm doing to focus on what I'm feeling. There are times where it's just a random cramping that never amounts to anything. It's always a relief when that's the case.

But, if the pressure doesn't go away, it usually develops in waves of ongoing involuntary waves of pressure that get stronger and longer. Shortly after I'll feel my bowels start moving on their own, which results in a pushing of stool passing through my anus. This will happen multiple times, which completely fills my diaper with typically a big soft mess.  There are times where the stool is firmer, but that's often uncomfortable because it doesn't spread throughout the diaper as easily. Since I'm sitting in a wheelchair, my bowels have to contract harder to push it out.

Within a few seconds of the first messing, the unavoidable stink of warm poo fills whatever room I'm in completely. That's a tough aspect of this deal, because if it didn't stink, this whole thing would not be so bad. But since I am completely dependant on others to get cleaned up and changed, I have to stop whatever I am doing, go home, and deal with it. It really sux. The time it takes me to get out of my wheelchair upon getting home to back up in my chair is at least an hour. I'm guessing for those that can walk and change themselves, it's slightly better than what I have to deal with.

I've actually experienced a couple of different forms of bowel incontinence.  When my intestine ruptured and I had a colostomy for about a year and half, I still felt my bowels moving before my bag would fill.  Mostly it just felt like a lot of pressure and then it would happen.  After they put me back together, I had no control for quite awhile because the muscles hadn't been used in so long (and no one thought to tell me to do kegals before the reversal surgery to get them working again).  The sensation felt like it always had, pressure, then needing to go to the bathroom.  The difference was that there was nothing I could do to stop it from going into my diapers.  I mostly got control back over the years, but I do still have occasional bowel incontinence (and regular bladder incontinence) because of a spinal injury a few years ago that caused some nerve damage.  And it's still the same way.  Sometimes, I get the urge and simply can't hold it.  There is sometimes conscious pushing on my part, because once it's already too late, you might as well finish quickly instead of waiting for your body to get it out on its own.  It's not always pleasant to be messy, but more comfortable than having it stuck halfway (and it's going to happen anyway so there's no point in trying to hold it when you're going to need to change regardless).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are two bowel sphincters - one autonomic and one under trained control. The autonomic releases when there is something in the bowels. The trained one stays closed until pressure and/or one releases same.

Diet controls the effectiveness of these... ie more liquid diet = less ability to retain bowels.

Nerve and/or muscle damage effects ones ability to control ones bowels as bowel control is about retention - delaying when to void. One cannot stop voiding... it will happen AND most people are somewhat aware of the process. One can ignore it and let it happen (similar to breathing) OR try and fail to prevent it.

In my case, both sphincters open at the same time. When I am awake, I am aware of the body pushing, but can do nothing to stop messing. Asleep, the pushing does not wake me. 

If I change my diet - harder stool, the voiding becomes uncomfortable. More liquid = diapers can't contain the mess.

Bowel incontinence can be managed -

1. Enemas and/or forced bowel evacuation. Problems include possible damage to bowel wall; weeping mucus and/or liquid; diaper rash from liquid; messy diaper

2. Diet to harden stool. Problems include cramps; lethargy; maybe explosive voiding; sore anus; diapers and/or bag as containment.

3. Diet to soften stool. Problems include most diapers cannot gandle that amount of liquid; Usually caustic = diaper rash; Usually high in bacteria = very smelly.

Since poop happens, my choice of management is - good diet - keep poop soft; cod liver oil tablets - increase speed and ease of voiding = reduced notification and eliminate visible signs of voiding ( still aware of need to change from the squishy feeling); activated charcoal (to reduce / eliminate the smell). As a result, I mostly make large messes 1 ~ 4 hours after breakfast / evening meal = lunchtime / before putting on night diaper. The small messes are not needed to be dealt with till diaper change (no smell) and a few wipes handle the job.

A baby will fill their bowels as the trigger from eating. Once full, they ignore their need as both sphincters open and they void in waves as the pulse of their lower intestines perastatic action cause the bowel to contract.

Most people try to delay / prevent this (toilet training) to no avail.

Babies sometimes need to push to void due to hard stool and poor diet OR the fact that they are sitting on their anus and that this hole is restricted. Bowel incontinent wheelchair users have this problem which is solved by change of design of their seat.

In simple terms, bowel voiding can be managed - how you do that is your choice but every choice does have its downside.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 9/19/2018 at 12:22 PM, willnotwill said:

Very slow :)

And generally very messy. I've been on a bowel management program for over twenty five years and experience has shown me that diapers are my only option. On the Up Side I have Time Now for ME... Plus some extra laundry for the pin-on cloth diapers.

On 9/19/2018 at 8:21 PM, Elbs said:

I hope it's OK to post a question here even though I'm not incontinent, just a fetishist.

I find it easy to imagine bladder incontinence, but I find it weirdly difficult to imagine bowel incontinence. Maybe because I have chronic constipation myself. I can readily imagine diarrhea related incontinence, but I don't like diarrhea. But bowel incontinence without diarrhea, what is that like?

If this is not an appropriate topic for this subforum, I apologize.

Well as  a  Chronically SEVERE Double Mix  IC  first of al if youre   Chronically constipated  im afraid that you are indeed  Fecal IC   dear. 

Having Diarrhea added to youre youre  Fecal  IC means   basically a living  ...........   As you  have to always stay protected    24 /7   and ALWAYS  be fully prepared  for  "accidents  "  be it   smaller  or full blows and  when you do have sed " accidents   "    it drains  youre body  enormously   (same with having to deal with constipation )  and   youre  blouthed   and you have  SEVER cramps  and gases   pretty mush the same as with Constipation only you get it out   whether you like to or not.  And yes its  VERY messy  and i wouldn't wish this or any other form of IC on ANYONE  as its  a  living  nightmare  to have to deal with EVERY day  24 /7  whether you like it or not.

So to al of you who SO  mush would love to incontinent so you get to wear this  lovely diapers    may i just  humbly say  THINK VERY HARD  on this  (its  expensive , it WILL  have tole on youre  life  and  last there is a HUGE different  of fantasizing about  being IC and get to ear  diapers  and  the rest on a  VOLUNTARY basis .   Vs  actually have NO choice then to wear the  diapers  and al the rest  24  /  with or without  youre  consent  or approval . And  know this. The  novelty and excitement  WILL fade of  sometime.  And if you have gone to far the way back might NOT be  able to take at al and youre STUCK a IC  for the REST of youre life    REGARDLESS of you actually like  or love it or not  YOU HAVE NO CHOICE  anymore  .   

NOTHING against  DL  but those that wish to  become IC due to DL PLEASE THINK  hard  before going this route. TRUST me its NOT al that its cracked up to be   

babykeiff  wrote  Diet controls the effectiveness of these... ie more liquid diet = less ability to retain bowels. )   

" Actually in my case  that no longer work for me as i sadly get it al  whatever i eat or drink this days  so to SOME     yes     i agree  but  sadly in MANY others  Case    it dont matter anymore" 

( In simple terms, bowel voiding can be managed - how you do that is your choice but every choice does have its downside   ) 

" Sadly for   Fecal    IC   bacikly the best  option  is  Diapers     (stated  from medical  experts   )  as   most other usely  used methods  have very poor  success rate  and  the best  option is surgery but not even that is  100 % success rate "                       

• Like 1

Within the last month or so, Ive had some BMs into my nappies which have left me shaken, and worried. These incidents Ive had an urge, which was more like "am I gonna be sick?" tight feeling in my abdomen. Pretty much as soon as I stand up off my chair, or get out of bed, or up off the lounge, I get this almost whole body spasm, but I find that instead of clamping up, my abdomen is pushing, and out it all comes in one long go. 

When they happen, theres no way I can stop them. I feel at the time like a toddler, as I remember the same kind of sensations from when I was little, and bowel IC back then  

With some nappies I wear, theres no way I can shimmy them down my legs to sit on the toilet fast enough, so its no choice but to go in my nappies.

Yes I have spoken about this to my continence nurse, and she could only sympathise with me. We've spoken about strategies for my chronic constipation too. 

Im afraid  youre describing  how i also get this  (ad to that with a few  seconds  or NO   warning  at al )  and yes  in this case i sadly  KNOW  im not gonna make it so might as well let it out   and THEN deal with the mess  ? 

Again i so  understand  you BUT you shouldent  feel like  youre a Toddler dear. This is because of youre  Medical IC .and as you sadly seems to have fecal IC  when younger  im afraid  this shouldent  be  unexpected. Same here  both urine  and   PLENTY of " accidents  day and night   "    as a   little girl  as well .   

Same here  and then its as i sed  just to let it al out and then deal with the mess   (sigh )   

Unfortunately as i stated  above the ods  for  us with fecal IC  arent that  good  im afraid  dear   ?   BUT do try  the different  options  offerd  to you by the continence nurse  tho 

• 7 months later...
I'm urinary incontinent but have trained myself with bowel incontinence. Now it just happens. I feel it after it's started. It's a wonderful feeling is the only way I can explain it and suggest anyone who has thought about it to at least try it to find out for yourself. I have trained the control away with zero regrets. Clean up is easy and quick. It;s not for everyone but for me there is no turning back. Nor will I ever want to.

What you do take alli or lactulose or just kept pooping your diaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 10:34 PM, scif788 said:

What you do take alli or lactulose or just kept pooping your diaper

I don’t take anything and there has been no need to. I just let go & over the years it just happens by itself. 

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone:

Bowel Incontinence is No Fun, but I have experienced when I had a few accidents, and as this year has proceeded, I have had at least 3-5 times when sick, that for some reason, I've "felt it" and been able to deal with it on the toilet, while other times this June and July, was unable to make it without making a mess.

For me, what happens is I feel a pain in my stomach, or I feel a rumbling, then I hear a growl sometimes, and then out of nowhere my bowel just relaxes, then I fart, and then "BOOM", I am filling my diaper or having to clean up a wicked mess.

For me, it feels like a gun firing, then it just releases: of course, this may be because of IBS or Divarticulitis (sp) - It can be a pain when I have bouts like this - Lucky for me, I still have control of my bowels for the most part - Urinary Incontinence sometimes happens but not much during the day, so I feel good about that!   I mostly lose sleep at NIGHT because of having to spend a long time in the bathroom at an ungodly EARLY hour - that is one reason I am using diapers:  I need sleep, and I can't do that in the bathroom :)

Have a Great Day!

Brian

• 1 month later...

I have chronic constipation if my body is in charge ,I suffer.

Tons of laxatives ,stool softeners, suppositories didn't help,it's a mixture of body injury and medications that cause the constipation.

To remedy this I take a medication syrup at each meal ,in the literature it says 3 or more bowel movements a day , I am at 4 .
When you first start taking it for a about 2 days you will have gas "2 minute fart's" ,after 2 days the gas is gone , you have to go into this with your eyes open ,when you start the medication ,you are no longer in control ,it decides when and where your bowels move , basically it makes your stool very soft ,and overrules your bodies desire to not act . It gives you no choice , everything you eat that is solid waste is deposited in your diaper ,usually by 8 PM I have had my final movement , there is no warning or sensation in my case ,I am all too familiar with the feeling of the stool overtaking the diaper area it needs ,because I wear a 10 point harness and sit on aggressive positioning cushion there are only certain "routes " that stool can take .

If you have sensation this stuff gives you one polite warning before it increases its effect until you go voluntarily or soil yourself , in any event weather your me or someone healthier , once you take this, it is in control,your body has no vote and no ability to say no ,it is meant prevent constipation and prevent impaction to empty your bowel ,basically each dose will within your day force one or more movements,removing residue left from your previous meal ,it will do this very well , ready or not ,in its directions it reminds doctors to prescribe diapers ,most doses above what I take will cause IC and near constant anal leakage , patients are not very happy when that happens without warning .it helps to remember whatever your situation was before , you will not be ,once you start taking this ,the medication takes control and stays in your system for a couple of days , you have to taper off it before doing any distance travel where bathroom access or diaper changes may be spotty .

So for me lacking alot of sensation ,the feeling of your filling diaper is greater than actualy going (actually going is a non event , if my diaper didn't fill ,I would have no idea ).

Now in saying soft movement maybe thats into a toilet ,into the resistance of a diaper sitting on a rubber and air cushion that means it "implodes" and takes whatever space it needs.

Only once did I overflow my diaper ,when I first started taking it I was ridiculous full of it ,so it forced everything into diaper(ain't no diaper made prepared for that abuse) I not only filled my diaper but my plastic pants and part of my cushion. Fortunately everything is washable or can be washed down in shower .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

On 9/24/2018 at 6:55 AM, incondl said:

I'm urinary incontinent but have trained myself with bowel incontinence. Now it just happens. I feel it after it's started. It's a wonderful feeling is the only way I can explain it and suggest anyone who has thought about it to at least try it to find out for yourself. I have trained the control away with zero regrets. Clean up is easy and quick. It;s not for everyone but for me there is no turning back. Nor will I ever want to.why did u train yourself to be bowel incontinent and did you do it by just pooping your pants when you had the slightest urge

33 minutes ago, TGalactic2012 said:

I’ve no rational explanation as to why I did it other than I am  urinary incontinent already. Possible surgery may have helped that but I elected not to. So something deep seeded in me said it would be easier to be both. In the beginning I just went whenever I had the urge. Over the years it became easier and happened more without thought. Today it always happens without thought multiple times per day. There is no thinking about it nor is there an urge. I certainty know it’s happened but I just manage it with timed changes.

I'm a 24/7 abdl so having accidents into my diapers is normal and fine.  Of course after a accident my wife normally changes me.  It normally does not get out of hand becuase my sife smells it and tries to change me as soon as possible.

Hello Everyone:
Bowel Incontinence is No Fun, but I have experienced when I had a few accidents, and as this year has proceeded, I have had at least 3-5 times when sick, that for some reason, I've "felt it" and been able to deal with it on the toilet, while other times this June and July, was unable to make it without making a mess.
For me, what happens is I feel a pain in my stomach, or I feel a rumbling, then I hear a growl sometimes, and then out of nowhere my bowel just relaxes, then I fart, and then "BOOM", I am filling my diaper or having to clean up a wicked mess.
For me, it feels like a gun firing, then it just releases: of course, this may be because of IBS or Divarticulitis (sp) - It can be a pain when I have bouts like this - Lucky for me, I still have control of my bowels for the most part - Urinary Incontinence sometimes happens but not much during the day, so I feel good about that!   I mostly lose sleep at NIGHT because of having to spend a long time in the bathroom at an ungodly EARLY hour - that is one reason I am using diapers:  I need sleep, and I can't do that in the bathroom [emoji4]
Have a Great Day!
Brian

QYeah