LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Plastic Pants Wicking while sleeping

Generally, I wear a BetterDry to bed and that actually works well most night.  As a side sleeper and someone that tosses and turns a lot at night they work but can really fail if I have more than a small leak within a period of time.  I usually wear a pair of training pants/light cloth diaper and PUL pant over it and that helps with any problems.  My other go to is ABUs and those have a cloth sheet inside that I find wicks urine out the top readily and are horrible for my use at night.  They rock the day times when I am upright though.

I am finding that within a few hours on nights of trying cloth diapers, I wake to a large wet spot on the bed. I have some great cloth diapers from Babykins and Changing times that are able to absorb and spread the wetness well.  What I am guessing is the hem line of the pants I am wearing over it are wet and this is from wicking out the urine as I toss.  It is possible it is also getting twisted and causing a gap from where urine presses out if I am on my stomach.  I am going to try to wear a fixing pant over the plastic pants next to see if that helps, but I was wonder how to do those wearing cloth diapers to bed prepare yourselves?

In reading other posts tucking the waistband in to the diaper has come up, but that is not really reliable and comes out almost as soon as I sit down on the bed. 

Do you use plastic pants with "encased" waistbands? 

Which models of pants do you find the best? 

Do you go up or down a size from what is normally comfortable for day use? 

What about bloomers?  I got a pair to try, but during the day any leaks just pool at the leg bands - man that is awkward!

I would love to hear or see any suggestions on how best to prepare for bed in a way to keep me dry.

In my experience an over sized pant with the waist and leg bands tucked under eliminates or at least minimizes leakage.  Also, with a sufficiently over sized pant the tucked in waistbands will stay in place.

• Like 1

You did not say what kind or size of panty you use. Also, some people double up on them

There are two impediments to getting the right combination. When you were a baby, you did not decide what you were to wear so you did not learn the attributes of what you would need. Cloth diapers and rubber panties workd differently than pampers. with the latter, if I understand correctl since I do not use them, the polymer converts the wet into some sort of gel and you have, supposedly a wetproof outer layer all in one piece. with the former,  the wet is abosorbed and held by the fabric and the wetproof part is a separate overlay, This lets you "mix and match" with the same panties, you can wear different kinds and thicknesses of diaper. Thus we talk about day and night weight diapers. In the old days of flats, it was use 1, 2 or 3 diapers that would be in equvalent adult sizes 54 x 54 or 42 x 80 inches, which is why rubber panties are full and "blousey". Baby panties for cloth diapers were and are even more so than most adult sizes

Porbably the best are the ones with a large size range waist size, like say 32" to 44". rather than say 34" to 38". The larger will be sized at the crotch and side seam to accommodate the larger person so it may be something like 12" and 13". L L Medico lists both measurements along with the waist and leg size range and the crotch is generously large. I have the size 2x snap-on under a pair of Babykins heavy gauge rubber (also a third pair that is part of my outfit). The Gary that L L  Medico uses has the snaps toward the front to avoid side leakage. Also, are you wearing enough diaper? The kind I wear was a home design for a little girl back in 1951 and it would be nice if someone made them professioally. They pin in front. if they were made of 4 layers of bird'seye or twill, I bet they would not leak

I wear Kins 6mil plastic pants with the 1" waistband. They are a little bit higher on the waist. I almost never leak and when I do it is usually from a wicking leg band. I buy pants that are roomy enough for double prefold cloth diapers. I wear doubled up cloth at night which seems to be absorbant enough so that there isn't any pooled up urine to cause a leak. If you are leaking try adding a second diaper. 

I did try encased elastic plastic pants but did not like the vinyl tight to my skin. Plus the vinyl tended to crack where the elastics were at causing irritation. 

Cloth nappies at night must fit snugly even without plastic pants: if there are gaps at the waist or legs they will leak whatever you wear over the top.  That's gaps in the padding, not just complete gaps.  Wee trickles anywhere there's not something to soak it up, and it will get out if it's free to trickle.  So, waist must be elasticated padding or otherwise tight enough.  Same for the thighs - all the way round. 

So, to pants.  First, they must be big enough to contain the whole nappy, even when you wriggle about a bit.  Tuck the nappy in well round the back of your thighs and waist.  Second, the edge of the nappy mustn't be in contact with the elastic of the pants, as far as possible anyway.  You want the elastic of the pants to be clear of the nappy completely as far as possible.  That makes wicking irrelevant.  But, even so, it's not a good idea to wear pants with elastic that can wick to your sheets.  Stick to pants where your contact between waist/thigh and elastic is plastic, not fabric or the elastic itself, if that fabric/elastic could also come into contact with the sheets.  Some pants have elastic completely encased in plastic, some have the elastic exposed but where it won't touch the sheets - I have both & they both work for me.  If you find harder plastic uncomfortable overnight, try thin polyurethane which is softer.  I find that more comfortable.  And yes, I go up a size at night, but then I wear a kite-fold 4ft terry square, which is pretty bulky.  Pinned tightly round the waist with a Snappi, with a pin for each leg as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had significant wicking problems with the "comfortable" (lycra-banded) Babykins plastic pants.  The terry lined ones are great over a disposable whilst I am upright and their wetting is limited to "squish leaks" around the leggings etc but in bed, that lycra waist band will get wet real quick and I will have wet pyjama pants and wet sheets.  Terry lined or even simple plastic Babykins pants will still leak over a cloth nappy.  The wet nappy touches the lycra and that wetness migrates.  This will happen in or out of bed.  A seriously wet cloth nappy under those will mean wet jeans around my waist.

The enclosed plastic pants from Babykins work much better but yes, the vinyl is prone to cracking over the elastic and can be an irritant to my skin.

My old Gary pants work better but aren't as comfortable.  I wish the lycra-edged Babykins pants worked better.

I find buying good plastic pants whether used with disposable or cloth diapers are a must for me. I have complete peace of mind now after testing many options. Most of my plastic pants come from Fetware.com. They are awesome! Rearz has some good ones as well. When I go out I use tight fitting plastic pants to minimize anyone noticing. However, if I am going to be sleeping or out of house for extended amount of time I wear a second pair of loose fitting plastic pants over the snug ones. Works Great!!

With PUL waterproof pants, I notice that when I'm sitting for long periods of time that some of mine will get compression wicking. Oddly enough, not all my pants do that. Sometimes I also get a little wicking in the elastic at the leg openings. Other times like yesterday when I was moving around and not doing a lot of sitting, I went over four hours without a leak or any wicking.

I have been wearing cloth at night for about twenty years now .  I now wear three medium Kins pre-fold diapers with the large size 6 mil plastic pants and there are no leaks. Kins recommends that the pants be one size larger that the diaper.   I find that with the three diapers, they hold enough liquid  that none of it actually gets to the plastic pants leg or waist bands.   Three diapers at night is pretty bulky but nobody is going to see that except you.  After about two years, the prefolds get thinner and don't hold as much pee but they do fine as the third diaper.  I like to pin them as tightly against my thighs as possible. 

I also prefer the printed diapers because they show through the plastic pants. 

During the day, just one new medium prefold works for about three hours. 

• 3 months later...

For about a yr now I have been using Polyurethane pants with enclosed elastics from Fetware.  They were a little more expensive but I was shocked how comfortable they are, how soft they are, how they give me the feel of a real plastic pant.  The elastics which are enclosed are absolutely  the most comfortable I have ever worn and I have not had any leakage at night even in a saturated diaper.  I use to always get chapping or chafing which then required the use of  a diaper rash cream using the vinyl pants I had.  I have not had that problem at all with the Fetware pants.   

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I too had issues with cloth diaper leaks and wicking leaks. I increased the number of layers I wore and had a large reduction in leak related issues. I had started out wearing just a single medium Velcro diaper because that was my size...I am now wearing a large with a doubler covered with an extra large with a doubler...if I am using a medium it is covered by a large with a doubler, and an extra large. As long as the plastic or rubber pants cover everything completely I do not worry about leaks.

I prefer cloth diapers for night and all day. I believe they hold more liquid and I just plain love the feel of them. I love rubber pants and love the locking kind. Locking makes me feel llike I am being punished and I use also plastic locking pants , tight fitting and I love the smooth feeling of my bottom and it feels much more sexy. I can wear day time cloth diapers and locking pants and short shorts for running and walking and I also love the swish sound and the crinkle sound, very sexy .  I just love being diapered and yes I do use them for what they were intended for. I have a lot of fun in diapers.  I hope you do also and enjoy being diapered. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:55 PM, joemama said:

Generally, I wear a BetterDry to bed and that actually works well most night.  As a side sleeper and someone that tosses and turns a lot at night they work but can really fail if I have more than a small leak within a period of time.  I usually wear a pair of training pants/light cloth diaper and PUL pant over it and that helps with any problems.  My other go to is ABUs and those have a cloth sheet inside that I find wicks urine out the top readily and are horrible for my use at night.  They rock the day times when I am upright though.

I am finding that within a few hours on nights of trying cloth diapers, I wake to a large wet spot on the bed. I have some great cloth diapers from Babykins and Changing times that are able to absorb and spread the wetness well.  What I am guessing is the hem line of the pants I am wearing over it are wet and this is from wicking out the urine as I toss.  It is possible it is also getting twisted and causing a gap from where urine presses out if I am on my stomach.  I am going to try to wear a fixing pant over the plastic pants next to see if that helps, but I was wonder how to do those wearing cloth diapers to bed prepare yourselves?

In reading other posts tucking the waistband in to the diaper has come up, but that is not really reliable and comes out almost as soon as I sit down on the bed. 

Do you use plastic pants with "encased" waistbands? 

Which models of pants do you find the best? 

Do you go up or down a size from what is normally comfortable for day use? 

What about bloomers?  I got a pair to try, but during the day any leaks just pool at the leg bands - man that is awkward!

I would love to hear or see any suggestions on how best to prepare for bed in a way to keep me dry.

Use a thicker or second diaper. If the pants are wicking, the diaper isn't doing its job. You can get no-wick pants but they are really uncomfortable. No-wick pants put the plastic right on your skin with the elastic inside the plastic.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

I throw my $0.02 into the conversation although it’s been so long you’ve most likely already settled on what to use. I’m a side sleeper, from one side to the other with maybe a brief time on my back. My diaper of choice is the Contour 2 that’s a 4 ply/10 ply/4 ply shaped gauze diaper that comes with a 10 ply soaker pad. These diapers come with a “sizing” coating as do most cotton products and the diapers should be washed 2-3 times, 1 of those with 1-2 cups of vinegar added to remove this coating and to vastly improve their absorbent qualities. Sometimes I double diaper so that the reason for the (s). The method that I have found works the best for me Is first the diaper(s), then the soaker pad(s), then a folded terry bath towel and finally a folded terry hand towel used as a liner. The terry bath and hand towels are V’d out in the back while laying on the diaper, then the towels are V’d out in the front and the diaper(s) are secured. Terry cloth is very absorbent and it absorbs very rapidly preventing leakage. The terry then wicks this liquid to the soaker pad(s) and into diaper(s). As this takes place the terry regains capacity for the next wetting. The V’d shape of the towels in the front places a terry barrier at the leg elastics of the plastic pants stopping leaks. The gauze contour diapers don’t sag as much as terry cloth would and gauze doesn’t absorb as much or as fast as terry but it stay in place better than stretchy terry cloth. Together they do great. When double diapered I’ve gone over 24 hours before changing and I wasn’t uncomfortable because the terry cloth tends to keep the moisture away from my skin. Hope this will helps you, stay padded!