LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

From disposables to cloth

I posted this on another forum, but I'll do it here, too...

So, I'm thinking of living independently from my mom, which means she won't be providing me with diapers and supplies, which means I'll need to cut down their cost. And I thought I'd try using cloth diapers. I've used them before, but only at night and for a short while, the pocket-style ones. So I'm not really sure, whether I know everything I need to know.
Can anyone give any advice? Anything — about wearing on daily basis, changing, washing and so on. Basically, any information is appreciated...

A friend of mine would wear cloth diapers.  He bought adult size cloth diapers but not the really thick ones.  Thinner ones and then he would use actual baby size cloth diapers layered inside.  That helped in 2 ways.  He could layer baby diapers inside just where he needed them most so that he had the bulk and absorbency just where he needed it between his legs but towards the top front and back it wasn't as bulky or as noticeable.  When washing his diapers it was quicker and easier because the diapers were all thinner and got a more complete washing and rinsing making them cleaner, and also they dried a lot faster than one thick diaper.   

I'm a bit ahead of you along a similar path.  So far, I've found that a cloth nappy doesn't hold as much as a disposable does, for the same bulk.  I think I'll end up with three nappies per day, plus one at night.  With disposables I can often get away with only two during the day.  Trying that with cloth, I'm too liable to get leaks.  A wrap-round cloth nappy is a lot less likely to leak than a disposable at night though - e.g. a kite-folded square or a fully shaped nappy with velcro closure.  That's because there's padding round the hips too, which you don't get with disposables.  You'll need a bucket or two, preferably with lids.  Don't leave them more than 2 days from first wetting or they'll get too smelly.  I wash everything on 60 deg Celcius, with a pre-wash.  I don't soak the nappies beforehand.  Read up about how to do it on the real baby websites that promote the use of cloth nappies - there are plenty about.  By the way I only use cloth nappies for weeing in, so can't comment on how to clean up anything else!

I don't know if you can buy gauze diapers in Ukraine but they are a very good cloth for a diaper.  They are very soft and not too bulky at all.   You might be able to find twill prefolds.  Twill is very similar to gauze.   I do know that cotton flannel adult diapers are available in Germany.   I rinse all used cloth diapers as soon as I take them off.   Then I wash them when I have 4 or 5 or 6 diapers ready for the washer.   Cloth diapers are (for me) much more comfortable than disposables and less likely to leak if you have a well made pair of plastic pants to go with them.  I agree with Stroller that real baby websites have good general information on the best way to wash and dry diapers.   I think you will be glad that you made the change to cloth.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been about 6 months since put on cloth diapers at night.  It is now 4:00 am and I am very soggy in my cloth diapers and Biggerdiapers diaper cover; and success, the bed is dry. Great feeling, I like the wetness and clamminess of the cloth diapers, after I change I may wear cloth for the rest of the day, haven't decided yet.

I prefer cloth diapers and I wear them as much as I can. However during the day and while at work I turn to disposable only because cloth diapers aren’t as easy to change in comparison to disposable. Cloth do a better job, 360 degrees absorption and you can adjust the bulk / absorption to your liking. Not only that I like the looks and the feels much better, more authentic especially if you compare it to the cotton feel diapers they have nowadays. And I am raised in cloth diapers and plastic pants, these feelings still linger in the old brain.

I wear cloth over 90% of the time. I get rashes from wearing disposables for more than a day or two. I usually am able to get by with one medium prefold diaper for an eight hour day as I pretty much leak in small amounts throughout the day. If I do need to change at work it really isn't a problem as I am by myself at work more times than not. Some days I am pretty soaked by the time I get home. The best advice I can give it to wear a onesie to hold everything in place and far less noticeable. I wear the summer time tank top style onesies from Babykins. I buy them a size smaller than the other shirts I wear. They really  keep my diaper and plastic pants in place. Changing standing up is easy. I place the new diaper on/in my plastic pants and pull them up most of the way. Then it's fairly easy to pin them in position, pull up the plastic pants and get back to work. I keep small bags in my desk to store the wet diaper until I get home. 

I have never figured out how to clean them so they don't have a bad odor when used the next time.  Chlorine bleach does work, but it wears out the cloth very fast, so I've given up on chlorine bleach.  I am using hydrogen peroxide now, about 1/2 cup per load.  Seems like my cleaning regime is hit or miss.  Sometimes acceptable, sometimes not.  Never as good as with chlorine bleach.  I sleep alone, so I can deal with it either way.

In light of this, I'd recommend to use thinner diapers but more of them.  That way they'll wash & dry better.  My current diapers, Adult Cloth Diaper overnight weight prefold birdseye, are very thick in the middle.  They have terry cloth middle layers which are very bulky and don't wash or dry easily.

Do not bleach cloth diapers. Use small amounts of detergent because the detergent builds up in the diapers and the diapers begin to smell. I usually double rinse or run a second short wash/rinse cycle without any detergent to keep from getting the build up that causes odors. I wash and rinse in hot water. Bleach breaks down cotton fibers over time and causes the diapers to wear out long before their time. If you want to get rid of the odor you need to strip your diapers which means that you need to boil them a few times until there's no soapy residue left. Then do the double wash/rinse thing using about a quarter of the usual amount of detergent that you normally use for the first cycle only. Do this and you should never need to boil (strip) them again. I've been washing my prefolds this way for many years and they don't stink and they last for years depending on how much you use them and wash them. I usually wear a couple during the day and a double at night. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well as a cloth baby like forever,I decided to try some of the great plastic backed printed disposables. WOW should have went to disposables long ago. No more washing,no need for plastic pants either if you buy a quality diaper. Love my Crinklz.

001.JPG

• Like 1

I use only cloth for reasons explained in "What do you prefer". it is my first post there and one of the earliest. I have no idea of how anyone near my age can aboide pampers,they are so chintzy and troublesome to use

Being a big coffee drinker my urine smell is rather strong. What I've found that works well to reduce the retained odor is to fully rinse the diaper in cold water immediately on removing it. Almost as good is rinsing in the shower or having a water-filled diaper pail, preferably with some bakiing soda added. With the latter you'll want to leave them no longer than 48 hours before laundering.

Bettypooh

• Like 1

I have tried the wet and dry diaper pail (both stink) however, if I do not run my night  diapers I take off about 10 to 11 AM  through the rinse cycle with some soap,  they will retain odor. I will put about 4 of my diapers in the pail before running them through a complete wash.  

3 hours ago, Bettypooh said:

Being a big coffee drinker my urine smell is rather strong. What I've found that works well to reduce the retained odor is to fully rinse the diaper in cold water immediately on removing it. Almost as good is rinsing in the shower or having a water-filled diaper pail, preferably with some bakiing soda added. With the latter you'll want to leave them no longer than 48 hours before laundering.

Yeah, my pee stinks too. Thanks for the good info.

On 8/20/2018 at 7:46 AM, rusty pins said:

A friend of mine would wear cloth diapers.  He bought adult size cloth diapers but not the really thick ones.  Thinner ones and then he would use actual baby size cloth diapers layered inside.  That helped in 2 ways.  He could layer baby diapers inside just where he needed them most so that he had the bulk and absorbency just where he needed it between his legs but towards the top front and back it wasn't as bulky or as noticeable.  When washing his diapers it was quicker and easier because the diapers were all thinner and got a more complete washing and rinsing making them cleaner, and also they dried a lot faster than one thick diaper.   

Sorry I didn't acknowledge your post earlier, but stuffing your diaper with baby diapers is an excellent idea. Baby diapers are cheap; adult cloth diapers are almost cost prohibitive unless you have a really good source and you're not telling.

46 minutes ago, ppdude said:

Sorry I didn't acknowledge your post earlier, but stuffing your diaper with baby diapers is an excellent idea. Baby diapers are cheap; adult cloth diapers are almost cost prohibitive unless you have a really good source and you're not telling.

If cost is an issue, you could try bath towels or even make your own from diaper fabric.

I sewed my own from Birdseye squares that I got from an Ebay seller named "Granitesmith". Had to wait for 'sales' pricing though, normal prices were more than I could afford. Haven't seen anything cheaper for real cloth diapers, and I don't know if that seller is still around. Fabric stores might have good deals, never tried that.

Bettypooh