LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

How do you prevent diaper rash?

I am new to diapering myself, I have gotten a diaper  rash. What do you put in your diaper to prevent getting rashes?

Also the tapes on my diapers become loose or break. I use the Walgreens medical clothlike diapers, with the Velcro tapes. Any pointers?

Barrier cream, barrier cream & barrier cream. Sometimes you cannot use too much. Also clean yourself with a good antibacterial soap. For the tapes I always use black electrical tape.

I would suggest to drink plenty of fluids so your urine doesn’t become to concentrated. Change your diaper frequently and use a barrier cream if needed. And then I suppose there is one thing left and there is little you can do about it, some are prone to develop a rash much sooner than others personally I have no problems what so ever, I use no creams no powders no nothing and I am just fine wearing 24/7.

Take breaks from wearing if you can. Your skin needs to breathe and you can really damage your skin by wearing a diaper all the time. Also avoid eating/drinking anything acidic (pop and spicy food to name a couple). Rashes are just the beginning, you can get holes in your skin (ulcers) if you're not careful.

I want to thank all of you. These are all useful tidbits of info. I bought diaper rash cream, vasoline, cornstarch baby powder, and yes a roll of electrical tape. I am trying them now. The soreness is going down  little. Life savers all. Of you.

I printed out diaper landing patterns. You know the sesame street pictures. I tried to attach them to my diapers with packing tape. The packing tape fell off when I closed the Velcro on my diaper. Do you know a better tape that will keep the landing Patten in place? It has to be clear tape. 

No cornstarch! It can ferment in the skin and create a yeast infection that can send you to the Doctor for antibiotics :o 

Aloe Vera gel may help with milder rashes-it usually works for me. Prevention is the best course though. Keep the diaper area super-clean with soap and water, let the skin air out 10-20 minutes once or twice daily, and don't leave a poopy diaper on for very long. Those three things are crucial and are enough to prevent rashes for a lot of us, but many need a barrier cream too I've heard a lot of good about " Boudreaux's Butt Paste" (sp?) but I've never used any barrier cream.

Hope it clears up soon- diaper rashes are miserable to endure :angry:

Bettypooh

I've been 24/7 for over 5.5 years and once in a blue moon I will get diaper rash.  When I do I use Desitin (scented) at night or unscented during the day.  My rash will usually disappear overnight or in a day.  My skin seems to tolerate wet diapers.

My solution in dealing with diaper tapes coming loose is to use baby diaper pins.  They hold securely and give my diapers that special look.

Use proper diapers

I have worn Tena for many years and never gotten a rash with them

Rearz has good capacity, but its the only diaper I have gotten sore with, went away fast when wearing Tena

From someone who just got over a bad diaper rash turned yeast infection it sucks. Some are more prone to it but it's been hot humid and just unpleasant. Change frequently even if it's under capacity. Drink more water and use a barrier cream like desitin or a+d ointment.  Also wear the right size diaper too tight can cause chaffing and that's where it starts

Thx comfortably diapered. I don't know what size I am. I fit depend (dollar store off brand) pull ups size medium like a glove. I hate adult pull ups, but in a pinch they work. I dont know if I fit good night's or under jams. I don't want to risk buying in case they don't fit. 

I moved from medium size to large in the Walgreens brand diaper with the Velcro tape, because the medium size seemed too small because  the tapes were too far to the side. The large isn't  suiting me at all. A little to loose. I leak pee A lot when I wear the large. Any sugestions? I weigh 205 with clothes on. I am 5 ' 11 "

I can't afford ABDL on brands because  there too expensive for me. I love patterns escpecially Luvs patterns. 

And Barney.

#1 Drink more fluids. If you are properly hydrated your urine will be mostly water... less acidic... less chance of rash. Yellow pee = dehydrated.

#2: Shave your diaper area. Hair traps droplets of urine and prevents the diaper from locking them away.

#3: If you have sensitive skin consider using lotion or some sort of barrier cream.

I urge you to go quality over quantity and go get some premium ABDL diapers from a place like ABUniverse if at all possible. Store brands are all garbage. Your experience with them will be worth it. PeekABUs are currently my reigning champion.

For barrier cream I suggest Boudreaux's Butt Paste and having one of these helps a lot with the application. 

@erevu, he's already said he flat out can't afford premium.

@PamperDude, I've never tried them before, but when I worked as a CNA the residents used Attends. I couldn't tell you firsthand how they feel as I could not use them, but they seemed like they could last for a little while. Don't take my word for it though, look up reviews and see what people say about it who have actually tried it. See if the brand offers samples on their website that you can try out before you commit to using the particular brand. Also, make sure you're wearing the diaper right (I know that should go without saying, but it personally took me a little while to figure that out). I've never done it myself, but I've also read of others who use booster pads in their diaper (I don't have any words of wisdom on that though, so consider it a suggestion you can try out). But finally, always, always, always make sure your diet is does not consist of too much acid. Your body filters it out for you, but since you're essentially going to be wearing what passes out you'll either have to change frequently or sit in it, which, again, will give you a rash. I personally wear leisurely and take breaks from wearing since improper care leads to worse health problems down the road.

Loose is also bad. The diaper should fit snug as looseness will give you leaks. Packaging will usually include a range of sizes that it can be used for (measured in inches, same as your pants, nondisposable underwear, shorts, and whatever else you wear around your waist). Leaks will make you smell bad. Even if you grow accustomed to the smell, others can still smell it and will avoid you, so watch your hygiene as you transition.

@horrorfan So I saw. But that can mean many things, and unless he is entirely incapable of luxury expenses (false because he can afford bad diapers) and totally unable to save (pretty sure he can), I’m going to urge him in that direction. 

I will look and see. I go to thrift stores and try to find the tranquillity brand. I like their overnight diaper. 

I purchased a rare find when I was shopping at goodwill. I was visiting friends In Detroit, it was one day before my flight home. I lived in Arizona at the time.  I found  a box of an Italian brand of overnight diaper.  They were very thick and fit like a glove. I wore one to the airport and for the duration of my travel home. It was so comfortable I almost cried when I ran out. I looked them up on line and could not believe how much they cost. They were almost $15 each diaper! That did not include postage. They were a tan/pink color and osorbed everything. They were awesome. 

They were made of a thin plastc, so thin but strong. They were snug. I slept so I well in them. 

Erevu I buy bad diapers because I tally them as an expense. My income is arprox. 750 per month. Depending on weather my fiduciary charges me a fee. They usually charge me $45 for their service which is involuntary to my preference. ( Acording to the Feds I am required to have a custodian fiduciary) 

I am way under the poverty level. My rent is $450, Heat and air is $50 and I have to eat with the rest. So you can see there is no room to save. I am not permitted to work at this time because of my conditions which are: ASD (Autism spectrum disorder) and I am mildly retarded by diagnosis because my mother in which I haven't seen since I was an infant decided to shake me until I went into a  seizure because of brain injury. 

I am gifted, my I.Q. is higher than that of an average college graduate. It's is the good side of my condition.  

I will say that premium diapers do cost a lot.  Many people just can't afford them due to their income and living expenses.  I get disposable diapers at the Goodwill and Thrift stores, Prevail, Attends, McKesson and sometimes others.  Some work better than others but they do me for the 3 or so hours I wear them 2 or 3 times a week.  Here is the thing.  Are premium diapers much better than store brands?  Of course they are and those who wear often and can afford them should get them if they want.  When a premium diaper costs around $2 or more per diaper and I can get a bag of 18 Prevails at Goodwill for less than $4 a package, what makes more sense to me when I average 10 to 15 hour of work per week at $8.50 an hour (when I get paid)?  Over $2 per diaper or 22 cents per diaper for something I'll use once and toss away? Keep in mind that as a DL instead of incontinent, you don't have to wear 24/7 to keep your pants dry.  It's a fetish for personal enjoyment, therefor rent, utilities, food, gas for the car and other expenses come first.  What you have left for personal entertainment can go for diapers.  You have to buy what you can afford and make do even though premium diapers would be great to have.  You always have the option of paying 2 to 3 times the price for premium diapers over the store brands and then cut back to wearing diapers only half or a third of the time you normally do, but what is the trade off?  Using good high quality premium diapers and wearing half as much, or being in diapers a lot more of the time but using cheaper diapers?  Of course, it all depends on how long you are in diapers when you wear them.  If just for a few hours when you come home from work, store brands may do you well enough for the costs.  If all day, then you might look at it this way.  You can pat, say, $12 for a package of store brand disposable diapers.  You can pay $28 for a package of good premium diapers.  If you wear all day and have to change diapers 2 or 3 times with a store brand but only once with a premium diaper, would changing less than half the time justify the cost of premium diapers?  It all depends on how much and for how long at a time you are wearing your diapers.  Also, if you are having problems with diaper rashes and you are DL and don't have to wear 24/7, you might be better off with store brands and removing your diaper after 3 or 4 hours and airing out a bit instead of wearing one wet diaper for 6 or 8 hours because it absorbs more and lasts longer.  There are a lot of things to think about and not every one's diaper habits are the same.

my prefered brand of cream is calmoseptine. desitin is good too, but i found the smell to be too much for me. calmospetine is thicker than desitin, and has a light menthol scent.

what i do is a good slather of cream all over and then a layer of powder all over until everything isn't sticky anymore. then diaper goes on and only the lower tapes put on, then a little more powder is puffed in front and back, then i finish taping up and i'm good to go! haven't had a rash yet!

That sounds good. My only issue with most diaper rash  creams is they contain cod paste. I am allergic to all fish. The last time I used Destin this is what  happened: this pic was taken in the abulance. I had a epi- pen sticking out of my leg. I went into anaphylactic shock that day.

20180730_192412.jpg

My question has always been, Desitin is a medicated diaper rash ointment for clearing up diaper rash that someone already has.  Why would you take medicine for an ailment you don't have yet?  I would be more concerned in that area and instead of using a product designed to clear up a diaper rash you don't yet have, I would use a barrier cream or paste designed to prevent you from getting diaper rash, not one designed to heal it after you already have it.