LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

How do you pronounce it?

1 hour ago, Alvin Seville said:

Thanks for the info: although no offence I must admit I'm a little confused as to what this has to do with acknowledging Wet Knights (possibly accidental) pun on peeing in a diaper.

It is the etymology of the world

• Like 1

My Granny, who is in her late 90's, always pronounces it di-a-per. My Mom was born in 1938. She grew up pronouncing it di-a-per, but noticed that about the time I was born in 1964 here in Southern California more often it is pronounced with the silent A so that is how she normally pronounces it. I have always used the silent A pronunciation. My husband Don was born in New York City in 1932. When I met him in 1991 he only said di-a-per. Today at brunch I noticed that Don only said die-per. Go figure. Tastes change with generations.

2 hours ago, Alvin Seville said:

Thanks for the info: although no offence I must admit I'm a little confused as to what this has to do with acknowledging Wet Knights (possibly accidental) pun on peeing in a diaper.

Two pees in our naPPy, as opposed to only one pee in their diPur,  is just as deliberate a pun as wet night.

• Like 2

It is like a joke I heard 61 years ago

Spell "dry dipaer"
"D R Y  D I A P E R"
" There's no'p' in a DRY dipaer"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We always say Die-per and leave the "a" silent.  Then again, I'm from the Boston area and the "r" is often silent.  Cah instead of car, yahd instead of yard etc.   I've heard people put the "r" where it doesn't belong for example Pizzer instead of pizza. Personally since learning to speak grootish I just say "I am Groot" and that settles everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Geek report:

Just checking my OED again, & it looks like historically the "a" wasn't silent in the UK.  The preface to my edition was written in 1933, although compiling the dictionary took decades.  Looks like the word came from ancient Greek and/or Latin. 

ok, I'll chime in. I also just call it a die-per, I tried it pronouncing it with the "a" die-a-per, and it just sounds weird, on the other hand, referring it to a nappy would also work I suppose, though I'm not from the UK, however I prefer to use local terms and slang when speaking to those from those regions to avoid confusion.