LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Disposing of heavy disposable diapers

I live in a rural area and have a local company that picks up my trash once a week. I've been concerned with the extra weight of all my diapers. I wear one a night, so 7 then wear several days during the week. The premium night time get real heavy as I drink and pee a lot. I just put them in a trash bag but it is too heavy for one bag. I mean 7-12 diapers and the premium night time have to be 5-6 lbs each so over 35 lbs. I end up splitting them up into different bags. 

Recently I decided to give something a try. I sometimes add a booster to add bulk and prevent leaking. I remember someone mentioning using a terry towel inside, so I decided to give it a try. I figured it would take some of the weight off and I could just rinse it out in the morning. 

Been trying it for a few days now and love it. Adds the extra bulk, that I and most others love. Also saves the cost of not having to buy the booster pads.  Not sure if I'm eliminating much of the weight but every little bit helps.

Is this costing you more money? 

The only thing I can suggest, and assuming you drive to less rural areas from time to time. Would be, to save the bulk of your diapers up, and then drop them in an industrial dumpster somewhere, like a local restaurant, or an apartment complex. Not a very neighborly thing to do, but it’s a suggestion. 

Our trash removal companies use automated lifters and specially designed trash cans for domestic garbage.  AFAIK no one has to physically handle my wet diapers besides myself....

51 minutes ago, drynot said:

Our trash removal companies use automated lifters and specially designed trash cans for domestic garbage.

This.  Does your trash pick up have an automatic lift that picks up your trash can and dumps it in the truck?  Mine does.  The truck pulls up along side my can, 2 forks on the side of the truck extend out, clamp around my can. hoist it up over the truck and dump the contents inside.  Then it sets it back down in it's original spot.  The driver does it all from inside the truck.  Gone are the days when trash men rode on the back of the truck and picked up all the bags to toss in, at least in my town.  I'm sure there may still be those who manually pick up trash by hand and heave it into the truck.  In fact, about 25 years ago I had a friend who put out an extra bag of trash for the pick up and the trash guy got angry and said only one bag was allowed.  Next week there was only one bag, but it was filled with newspapers soaked with water!  The trash guy had to pick it up per the rules and contract, but he must have gotten a hernia doing it!

Let us know how your trash is picked up.  Manually by hand or automatically with a hydrolic lift on the garbage truck.  Unless your trash contract has a weight limitation, I wouldn't worry about the weight of your diapers in the trash bags.  It's their job to pick up your trash and I'm sure plenty of neighbors have heavy bags of trash from time to time. 

Curbside trash pickup here is usually done with a lift on the back of the truck. Two guys collect the wheeled bins and roll them into position, then put them back once emptied. Sometimes the lift doesn't work or they're using an old spare truck as the newer one gets fixed which doesn't have a lift. I feel for them on those days as my bin is at least 50% diapers which are heavily wet, and that bin is heavy! My trash is bagged inside but they do break open sometimes, thus I'm sure those guys know I wear. No problems so far after about a decade of this. It takes me two weeks to fill the huge bin so about half the time I don't roll it out weekly and wait till it's full. It can get pungent in the summer heat if a bag gets torn cramming boxes in so I try to do it weekly in the summer. 

A couple weeks ago my sister visited and she remarked that it smelled like something was dead out in the yard. I said "Yeah, I noticed that too." After I missed a week and had had a couple messy diapers go in there. apparently that bag got torn, thus the odor, even though the messy diapers were in doubled plastic shopping bags.

Do NOT take your diapers to a private dumpster that you don't have permission to use- in most places that is a crime and you can get arrested for that. Then whoever pays for the dumpster will know, the Cops will know, and if you have to go to Court anyone else in the Courtroom will know and among that many people someone is bound to mention what you put in there. Almost like taking out an ad in the local paper announcing that you wear diapers and are a cad too. And used diapers can be classified as medical or hazardous waste, generating more problems for you, so don't dispose of improperly.

Bettypooh

To clarify things. My rural trash pickup is just a couple of guys in a truck with a large box bed with fairly high sides. One guy has to grab each trash bag out of my barrel and throw them up and over the sides. All my diapers in one bag tend to be extremely heavy and would be a real chore to throw up and over the side of the truck. 

I don't have a small digital scale so here is how I came up with my guesstimation. Most premium diapers are rated at 4000ml or more. Most tests and reviews put the number around 2000ml before leaking. I know I don't 'fill' them up to 4000 but I'm sure some get to 2000 or somewhere close. Some being fuller and heavier than others. So...2000ml equals a little over half a gallon. A gallon weighs a little over 8 lbs. That means that my full ones are at least 4 lbs. So 5-6 might be a tad optimistic.

Bottom line is, I don't really care how much the trash weighs, they will have to deal with it. 2nd. I really like adding the terry towels for the extra bulk, and might be saving a few ounces here and there...hehe.  

Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Trash get picked up same way as Bettypooh, and the can is fairly small, but heavy with my diapers

With the amount of diapers I wear, I have to use the local dump sometimes, so I put the extra diapers in bags, then into a big black bag

I should go hiking more, cause then I could use the "hiking-bin"

I live at an RV park where they only  empty the dumpster 4 times a week and the one on my side of the park gets full first and some times maintenance puts a bunch of trash bags in their golf cart and takes them to the other dumpster  when the one on my side is overflowing so to hopefully keep used diapers from being seen I put them in a bag in a soda box until it's almost full then throw the soda box in my trash bags because I always buy one about twice the size of my trash can so when I lift the bag out its got room for an empty soda box full of diapers I know it cant be seen but some times I wonder if my trash bags are suspiciously heavy oh well the only way to figure out who's trash bags are who's would be to ask and that wouldn't be worthwhile and I doubt any one just sits and stairs at the dumpster all day 

Even if someone was to see that you have diapers in your specific trash bag nobody is going to care one single bit!! I’m willing to bet that even if the babiest of baby printed diaper was to accidentally fall from your bag not a single person is going to realize it’s even an adult diaper let alone care. Plus they’d have to look up from their cell phone to notice in the first place. [emoji75][emoji75]

Squishypants Out!!!!

agree with squishy. No one is gonna give a rats arse and my guess is if these guys have been throwing trash for any amount of time (up and over the side of a walled truck) then they've thrown bags heavier than one that's 35 lbs.  Hell between my two boys and myself my kitchen trash can weight that much.

Another thing, if they're anything like one of my poker buddies who owns his own recycling/trash and dumpster rental business, about a year after I helped him with the legal aspect of purchasing the company he told me he went from being able to barely lift his weight to lifting nearly three times his weight.

If you're concerned about the bags breaking then sure split them up into two bags but I'm not sure that even matters much.  Just don't get the el' cheapos from the dollar store or where ever get the good stuff and you should be alright.