LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

RIP - Toy's R us

I still can not believe that the number one store for kids and baby's went out. We can once again thank the world wide web. Like Tower went away from Napster and other peer to peer sharing networks. Things are changing too fast in this world, and it's going to get really scary I hate to say.

With the first - New AI chips about to be released into the world, (chips that can learn on their own at a very basic level,  which will only improve). Then you have places like Boston Dynamics making robots that do back flips of tables, the Terminators are just around the corner, I promise this. Jobs, that's another scary topic when robots take them all.  But as far as Toy's R us, it was really sad to see it go. I use to like walking around and buying things. The days of walking into a store and seeing what you're getting are soon to be gone. Now we're buying everything on line. When your item is broke, or missing a part, you now have to slap a packing label on in, drive to UPS, or FedX, spend more money and wait two or more weeks. It's amazing how fast computers are changing things, and it's going to change even quicker with the new light diode CPUs that will no longer use the traditional transistors. Science will evolve and the world will change exponentially. Somethings will be good, but the robots have me freaked out. I'm fascinated by the technology, but worried about what it will do for jobs: The interviewing process of profiling, Human replacement,  and our privacy.

Goodbye  Toy's R us and Babies R us

I was saddened by the news of their closing:crybaby: I remember it was the main toy store that I would go to when I was little. When I was just about 3 or 4 their was another big toy store but I am not sure if it was a national chain store. Does anyone remember LIONEL PLAYWORLD? I can’t remember how old I was when they shut down and Toys “R” Us took over. Let’s see if anyone remembers their theme song. I don’t how I do but: “I don’t wanna grow up - I’m a Toys “R” Us kid - There’s a million toys at Toys “R” Us that I can play with - from bikes and trains to video games - It’s the biggest toy store there is - I don’t wanna grow up cause if I did - I wouldn’t be a Toys “R” Us kid.” I know there’s more but that’s all I remember.:whistling: Now it will probably be stuck in everyone’s head, sorry!

I'm glad that I'm getting old. I a couple more decades I may be pushing up daisies  and won't care. I feel bad for the young who will have to put up with all this crap. You're right about things getting worse. Seems like we're spinning out of control.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, BBoy said:

Come to Canada. Toys r Us is still going strong

Huh? My immediate family left Canada in the late 60's because of socialized health care, gun control, and other things the government had no business sticking their nose into your business. Are you sure it's the same chain as that in the US? Is it subsidized by the government (picking winners and losers)?

3 hours ago, ppdude said:

Huh? My immediate family left Canada in the late 60's because of socialized health care, gun control, and other things the government had no business sticking their nose into your business. Are you sure it's the same chain as that in the US? Is it subsidized by the government (picking winners and losers)?

What??? The Canadian government doesn't pick winners or loosers, where would you get that idea? 

As for Toys r Us, if you don't believe me go to www.toysrus.ca  of course this site could be fake news, like a successful health care system...

1 hour ago, BBoy said:

What??? The Canadian government doesn't pick winners or loosers, where would you get that idea? 

As for Toys r Us, if you don't believe me go to www.toysrus.ca  of course this site could be fake news, like a successful health care system...

Your government decides, like ours, but without citizen involvement, who wins using tools such as regulations, tariffs, and stupid positions like the minister of culture whose job is to keep you politically correct. I hated the cereal boxes having English on one side and sissy French on the other side. Boring and not as cools as the US because they had things you could get with box tops. Much more fun.

Here's info from the Toys"R"Us Website:

"Toys"R"Us (Canada) Ltd. announces the completion of the acquisition of its business by Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited. Toys R Us Canada is now a proudly Canadian-owned and operated business employing more than 4,000 Canadians and Canada’s only exclusive coast to coast business with over 80 locations dedicated to kids and babies across Canada."

Yep, you're right... It's fake news. Not the original.

On 7/10/2018 at 7:32 PM, ppdude said:

Your government decides, like ours, but without citizen involvement, who wins using tools such as regulations, tariffs, and stupid positions like the minister of culture whose job is to keep you politically correct. I hated the cereal boxes having English on one side and sissy French on the other side. Boring and not as cools as the US because they had things you could get with box tops. Much more fun.

Could you give an example of these politically correct police?  You can get sued for defamation or charged for claiming the Holocaust didn't happen. But there isn't a government department in charge of politically correctness. In fact there is no Ministry of Culture. Where do get these ridiculous ideas?

I'm not sure you really know what goes on up here in Canada...

Let's keep politics and bashing of all sorts out of here or I will do some official bashing of my own <_< Back on topic please!

Many retail businesses have lost out to online selling because that allows for cheaper prices and greater company profits. Just how the world works today. Though it's been ages since I read it, the book "Future Shock" by Alvin Toffler is a must-read. Written in the 60's it forecast much of what we deal with today and it's predictions are still being fulfilled. To know what is coming is scary, but we need to know that to deal with it. After you read it you will understand the why of us losing our old ways including retail stores. Add some deeper thought to that and you'll see where this will all end which makes me happy that I'll be dead before it happens.

To me anyway, the saddest part of the Toys r Us story is that the founder had to see his fulfilled dream crumble. The idea was genius and succeeded beyond his wildest dreams, then things beyond his control destroyed everything. Books a Million and Barnes and Noble have suffered a similar fate, and oddly enough the one same company was responsible for much of this- Amazon, who started as a book-selling site. EBay helped. The world changes and it you don't change with it you get left behind. As we shop on price and convenience we're doing this to our own selves, and it's always too late when we finally see what we've done to make it better.

Bettypooh

TRU had been failing for a while, it's nice to see them finally put into the grave. The last several times I went in their products were overpriced and selection wasn't that great. In days where pretty much anything you want is available online for 10%-25% less than in a brick-and-mortar store and will be delivered to your door in two days at no additional charge those still operating the brick-and-mortar stores better be on top of their game... b/c half measures just won't cut it.

• Like 1