Have you tried cloth diapers?  

642 members have voted

1. 1. Have you tried cloth diapers?

• Yes, Love 'em
    • Yes, Not for Me
    • No, But want to
    • No, disposables only!
    • Other

No, why? :) You have to wear rubber panties with them. Who wants that? That's for girls

I was born in 1964, well before disposables were practical for routine use. I grew up in washable pinned gauze classic Curity diapers as did my three younger siblings. My entire family hugged trees so were anti-disposable. Mom felt ashamed in the summer of 1972 when on a trip we ran out of gauze diapers while our youngest sibling had a case of the runny poopies. Mom had to buy a box of Pampers. That was before the Pampers factory attached the sticky tapes. Mom did her best fastening those Pampers with diaper pins. When we got home our oldest sister, 13 at the time, took Mom to our local supermarket and showed her that next to the Pampers they sold rolls of tape to fasten disposables.

Anyhow I continued to wear just-in-case gauze diaper after I was toilet trained because my bladder was tiny and Over-Active. I only switched to Attends disposables at 17 because my university dorm lacked coin washing machines. Ten years later I returned to gauze diapers for bed. By then I had access to a home washer and dryer.

These days I wear GoodNites Tru-Fit as my day diaper and pinned gauze diapers inside vinyl panties to bed.

Cloth diapers are all I wear. They are easier to hide. Since I don't have the level of privacy I'd like, I can't order, store or throw away disposable diapers without them getting noticed. Besides, I grew up (not really I didn't) wearing cloth diapers and have never used disposables although I wouldn't mind trying them.

I’m one of the older crowd who, can’t actually say, “tried them”. I had no choice, cause cloth diapers were what was used when I was young, and that’s what I knew. So, I started with loving cloth diapers, first and foremost. But, I did, at one point, “try” disposables. I still remain faithful to cloth, but I do like both. 

I'm older.   I wore cloth for sure as a baby but I don't remember it (there are pictures).   I remember my sisters and brother in cloth, though my brother (born in 1967) had some of the early pampers as well.

As an adult, I started with cloth diapers (crudely formed) with plastic pants because that was all that was availablle.   The first crude adult disposables hit the market around me around 1978 or so.   I didn't find a store I could by them in until the summer of 1979 when I just happened to be standing in the pharmacy near my summer job (they had a lunch counter and I was ordering lunch) and noticed they had them on the shelf.

I also ordered some cloth diapers from Sears and Montgomery Ward though these had a plastic panel sewed to them and I didn't much like that (I wanted just cloth).    Amusingly, a young female clerk at the Sears catalog desk saw the invoice and I guess was curious as she insisted on opening the outer package to make sure they were OK.     I was mortified back then.   These days I'd have struck up a conversation.

Later I got a few from Angel Fluff and then I cornered the local market on Birdseye diaper fabric (hitting several fabric stores) and my wife sewed them into prefolds for me.

I've also bought random diapers from ChangingTimes, DD, and that wierd chineast "NiceDiaper" people.

Until I joined this forum, I only knew what I saw on TV commercials for Depends. I didn't want that, didn't want to be seen buying them, and didn't want unidentified, discreet brown boxes showing up on my doorstep. I didn't want to try hiding disposables. So for years I just used old, nearly worn out briefs. 

After joining DD I learned how to do the cloth diaper thing, making my own out of Flour Sack towels. I didn't have to feel weird about buying them at Target, either. They're just multi use towels....right?? 

Cloth diapers are easy to hide. The tricky bit is doing the laundry in a discreet manner. 

I’ve never tried cloth diapers and to be honest I’ve not got any interest in doing so either:

The crinkles and the tapes and stuff is all part of it for me, also I wouldn't bother to wash them so it's probably a good job I'm all for team disposables :)

I've never tried them, but I would like to. I like disposables because they are easy to hide and dispose of at home. Cloth would be hard for me to have because I'd need to laundry them at some point. But I've always wanted to try them.

I originally started in Cloth nappies, I used to "borrow" them and vinyl pants from my bedwetting Brother.

I'm sure my Mother used to wonder where the extra wet terry nappies came from.

I took to wearing nappies like a fish to water, and was hooked from the first time I managed to pin a nappy on myself.

Vinyl pants were just the icing on a wonderful cake.

I could never resist the pull of nappies and it became my secret.

I would wear when I could and was always scared of being caught, I was several times but that's for another time.

When I became Incontinent it started as occasional accidents at night, while sleeping.

This progressed to wetting nearly every time I slept, I thought it was my brain used to forget my bladder existed as soon as I was asleep.

I used disposables and always found that I was stretching the absorbency of everything they gave me to try.

There would often be wet patches on the bedding by morning.

I got fed up leaking at night and I also began to loose daytime control, that began as occasional leaks and progressed to regular uncontrolled wetting.

I solved nightime leaking by using cloth nappies and vinyl pants, I have since found out that many heavy wetters cannot go a whole night in the same disposable nappy and

they eventually find they need the additional wicking power of thick cloth nappies.

So I'm a cloth nappy fan, I think they are far more comfortable to wear than disposables but a lot more bother due to washing and drying, but they do work for me.

Finding decent pants to cover them with is a problem here in the UK as all the old favourites have stopped making them.

I get my current favourites from China-via Ebay.

21 hours ago, BabyJune said:

Cloth diapers are all I wear. They are easier to hide. Since I don't have the level of privacy I'd like, I can't order, store or throw away disposable diapers without them getting noticed. Besides, I grew up (not really I didn't) wearing cloth diapers and have never used disposables although I wouldn't mind trying them.

You are not missing anything; the pampers experience and ecosystem REEKS of institutionalization

• Like 1

I'm switching from disposables to using cloth whenever practical, mainly because I'm feeling guilty about the amount of rubbish I've been sending to landfill.  I'm happy in either, although I was in terry nappies as a real baby of course.  I'm waiting for delivery of more cloth nappies at the moment, & when they arrive I'm intending to use them whenever I can   (I've only got 2 at the moment).  The main practical pros & cons apart from landfill so far:

1.  I find changing a cloth nappy is harder, if it's not an all-in-one.  You've got a wet lump that has to be put into something else before it's safe to put down, & you have to rinse out your pants too.

2.  Washing & drying, which have to be done discreetly if I have others in the house, e.g. kids.  Takes time, too.

3.  Clean cloth nappies take a lot of space up, so storage is going to be an issue.

4.  Out and about is much harder, & I've not tackled this at all yet.  Changing a cloth nappy in a public lavatory at a service station?  And what do I do with the used nappies if I'm away for more than a few hours?  On holiday would be OK if we had our own washing machine & drier, but I go camping as well.  I think I'll have to stay in disposables for camping trips.

5.  Bulk.  So far, it looks like I'd need 3 cloth nappies a day, plus one for overnight, whereas I can usually get through the day with only 2 disposables.  That's because the cloth nappies are bulkier, so I'm more limited as to how much soaker I can fit discreetly under my street clothes.  Still, it's early days for me on this one.

6.  More chance of nappy rash in cloth.  That's only theoretical for me so far though, luckily!

I love cloth diapers but rarely wear them: disposables are far more convenient and less tough on my skin. If my diapering were someone else's chore instead of my own, then I'd want cloth diapers to be the mainstay. 

Bettypooh

hi,i grew up in the age of cloth diapers too,it was all me and my siblings knew.i have long loved seeing others in cloth diapers too.i love long clotheslines of fresh washed curity flats,flapping in the breeze.i am now partially incontinent with diabetes and urge inco.cloth diapers are all I have in my house.

As a baby in the late 1960s in Australia, it was strictly a cloth-nappy-under-plastic-pants affair.  That remains my preference today.  I prefer the bulk and the sheer security as well as actually feeling a little warmly-wet down there.  Also as a side-sleeper, anything less in bed automatically means wet sheets and a disrupted night’s sleep.

Laundry logistics are a pain – especially if I’ve messed and drying can be a challenge during those monsoonal-moments we can have in our long, sub-tropical summers.

I will wear disposables if nothing else is available.  If I ever get the opportunity I crave for a bout of 24x7 wearing, I would definitely have to use disposables during work days for the simple practicality but evenings, nights and weekends would most likely remain cloth.

I cannot comprehend how I could manage wet cloth nappies, pins and plastic pants in a corporate environment and I’d be constantly worrying about odour.

i was a cloth baby as a child.. I was a chronic bedwetter and also had a lot of daytime accidents.. my mother punished me with cloth diapers and gerber plastic pants. to this day I hate cloth diaper. I am back in diaper 24/7 but i only wear disposable.. cloth diapers feel like a wet washrag from the second they are wet until you take it off. Disposables on the other side of the coin. only feel wet once they are completely soaking wet. other than that they feel fine

When I was wearing cloth nearly exclusively, I was on a three day (or two day) laundry cycle.    Fortunately I have the HE / large cap washer/drier.   I wash the diapers and plastic pants together, but I pull the plastic out to air dry.    The high speed spin cycle on the HE washer gets them pertty near all the way dry anyhow.

I guess I’m somewhat older too. I wore cloth as a baby and for the most part they are my go to diaper today. As it comes to my baby time I don't remember. I do remember me being some four years old being back in diapers, I have some strong memories about that. Today I'm switching back and forth between disposables and cloth.  In general I find disposables more discreet. In order to get the same absorbency you’ll need a whole lot of cloth to get the same level and your urine squeezes out more easily. I have no issues as it comes to washing & drying, I have a place for my own so that won’t hold me back. However changing your diaper while at work or something similar is not really practical and cloth diapers do tent to smell sooner. Cloth overnight is the best if you’d ask me 360 degrees absorbency.

I have a couple of heavy cloth diapers, and both a pull-on, and a snap-on plastic pant. I wear them occasionally, and find them comfortable, but mostly prefer plastic-backed disposables.

I voted not for me, but there should be another choice, maybe Love the feel of cloth getting wet, but would rather just go what I say is the energy efficient way, Disposables. our summer cooling bills are $500 and more a month for a small home, so we cut the electric bills any way we can. and washing drying cost more than disposables when we pay 21-43 cents a kWh. 

In the winter time I do use cloth sometimes, I would dry them outside in the summer but not quite ready for my neighbors to see them drying on the clothesline 

I wore cloth diapers till age 12 for bed-wetting but now its plastic-backed disposables.

I live in a RV and use the RV park washer and dryers.

And i have never found cloth diapers that can come close to holding as much as premium disposables.

I was raised in the early 80s and was  in cloth diapers. One of my family members bought my mother a diaper service subscription, so it was pretty much cloth until I bought my own disposables much later on. I do remember heisting disposable diapers from any other places I could, whenever the opportunity arose.

I do quite love the assortment of adult cloth pocket diapers I have now. They are worlds better than what you could have bought even 3-5 years ago. I have some adult prefolds and plastic pants and they just don't hold a candle to snap pockets.

On 7/4/2018 at 10:39 AM, Angela Bauer said:

I was born in 1964, well before disposables were practical for routine use. I grew up in washable pinned gauze classic Curity diapers as did my three younger siblings. My entire family hugged trees so were anti-disposable. Mom felt ashamed in the summer of 1972 when on a trip we ran out of gauze diapers while our youngest sibling had a case of the runny poopies. Mom had to buy a box of Pampers. That was before the Pampers factory attached the sticky tapes. Mom did her best fastening those Pampers with diaper pins. When we got home our oldest sister, 13 at the time, took Mom to our local supermarket and showed her that next to the Pampers they sold rolls of tape to fasten disposables.

That's a great story! :)  By 1964 I'd been out of diapers for abut 7 years! I think I was potty trained way too early and that's why I need/want them today!

On 7/4/2018 at 10:00 AM, Little Christine said:

No, why? :) You have to wear rubber panties with them. Who wants that? That's for girls

Oh yeah you NOT wearing 4 cloth diapers and 4 inserts. We do luv our rubbers don't we? Better than sliced bread. Better than.... :)