LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Diaper Sizing?

bdmw96

So Ive been wondering, how do you choose your diaper size? Do you go with your waist size within the parameters of the size? So if a small is 27-36" waist size and a medium is 32"-40" waist with your waist being 32". Would you go with small or medium?

This plus the fact that I'm only an occasional wearer illustrate the reasons why I like flat diapers. With flats, you can fold them to fit you exactly. And in the case of flats, too big is better than too small.

You want to try and fall in the middle range. So, if you were size 32 waist, size small with a range of 27-36, would be best suited to you. But as already pointed out, the stated size, is not always what it would seem. Best you can do, is first order samples, if you can. That way, you can see what size works best for you. Once you have, you could then place an order, for the whole pack, or case of the best fit. That is, if we are talking about disposables. 

Watch the RISE factor the amount of diaper coverage similar to a bikini LOW RISE or a grannie brief HIGH RISE (think just below the navel).

Girls got this down pat...

Men don't normally have to worry about multiple sizes... and I am not even sure if they really need to worry about it with diapers... but when they list ranges like this do, it is very helpful for us girls.

I have to worry about two measurements, my waist and hip size. This is why even though my waist is in the upper end of a lot of girls pants/shorts. etc... I can't wear them, because my hip size is to large. So when I see a range, I pick the one in which both my hip AND waist fall. Which for Rearz is medium. For Bambino, it is none, so on so forth.

I would recommend learning your hip and waist measurement and do the same... and if they are close, like I imagine most fit guys would be, then you probably want to go one size up, as with adjustable, it is easier to adjust down than up.

• Like 1

Everyone gives good advice. There's not much to add except to call the supplier's customer service and ask them. They are usually familiar with their products and can recommend a size. I found this very helpful and informative.

7 hours ago, drnkrdnck said:

I would like to add, most people assume there pants size is there waist measurement. It is not, I wear a 38 and my measurement is quite different. 

Yes. Pants are usually fitted around the top of the waist bone while diapers are fitted under the ribs I beleive

In my case, I usually wear dress type pants in size 44, but my jeans I get in size 42.  They have some streach over time at the waistband and they fit better, not as baggy as the 44 size.  Seems with jeans, manufacturers go from size 42 well fitting to size 44 really baggy!  As far as my diapers, I get what they have at Goodwill and thrift stores.  Usually store brand types like Prevail, Attends, Mckesson and others.  I still fit well into size large but I also get size X-large when they are what is available.  I pull the tapes farther over in front when taping them and around the legs they may not always be as tight as the Large size, but since I only wear for about 3 hours in the morning 2 or 3 times a week, they work well.  The X-large size diaper has more diaper overall and it absorbs better than the same diaper in the next lower size.  If I do go out in my diapers I usually wear plastic pants over them for extra security.  With my jeans up over my disposable diapers and plastic pants, everything is held tight.  I've actually over wet so bad a few times when out that there were pools in the bottom of my plastic pants but my jeans remained dry.  I think a lot has to do with not only your body shape and size but also what you do when in diapers.  if just a cloth backed disposable around the house with nothing else on, fit may be a lot more critical to help prevent sagging and leaks, especially since cloth backed disposables tend to loosen up as you wear them.  If just sitting watching TV it might not be as bad as if you are really active and always doing someting and moving around a lot.  With plastic pants, compression or fixing pants or even regular underpants and then jeans over the diaper, I think the size it's not as critical if you are inbetween sizes as long as you don't over wet your diapers. 

I've got a 34-inch waist, and I've always bought Medium nappies and plastic pants, or Large plastic pants if they're for over bulky cloth nappies.  They've nearly always fit well, across a range of manufacturers.  I've had to be a lot more careful with clothes - onesies particularly - as one maker's Medium can be another's XL!

7 hours ago, Stroller said:

I've got a 34-inch waist, and I've always bought Medium nappies and plastic pants, or Large plastic pants if they're for over bulky cloth nappies.  They've nearly always fit well, across a range of manufacturers.  I've had to be a lot more careful with clothes - onesies particularly - as one maker's Medium can be another's XL!

I too have same waist size. I have found that, for the most part, mediums are the standard pick, although, there can be variations within that general range. Tranquility ATN is the exception as the mediums got too small. ID Slip Maxi's were cut lower so they didn't add anything to the waist. Dry 24/7 are "full" cut as the fall somewhere near the belly button and make pants tighter. I wear and wet 24/7 and have encountered a wide range of activities with various trouser styles. I prefer jeans as they keep the disposable and rubber tight. In the past 20 years, only a handful of leaks. Not to mention  the occasional "getting sick" poop that just kind of happens and makes a giant mess. It goes with the territory, so I tell myself "get over it" and who cares! Not too many people pay close attention as they are wrapped up in their own little world. :rolleyes:

I'm luckily in the middle of 'medium' so I have no problems, but only by trying can you determine best fit. There are different body shapes involved here, and different expectations of fit too. My belly protrudes such that fitting a diaper on it means it will fall down in short order :( I fold the cover down inside in the front so that it fits where it will stay put, thus the back will ride lower or higher based on the diaper's length, and they all vary in that. Plus the leg cuts and crotch width vary too, which can lead to premature leakage. Like @GhostGirl says, women's clothing all varies so much that any size description is only a starting point for trying something on. My sometimes perverse sense of humor goes off when I hear guys complaining about this; now you know what girls go through constantly and you deserve it :P

Bettypooh 

• 3 months later...

I go by hip size. if I went by waist, then I would be buying diapers that are too small or barely fitting me. Same goes with pants too. I have to go by hip size, not waist or I might not be able to get them up past my thighs. 

As for medium diaper sizes like 28-36 waist, I just go with medium because I know they will fit me well and the tabs will be in the front. Hip sizes are not that accurate as the package says. 

I feel mediums are getting too big because of how close the tabs are at the top and are lop sided. So I want to try size smalls now, but will sample them first. I got a pack of Prevail size small that fits waist 20-31 inches and guess what, it's too small. I can get the top fastened but not the bottom and the diapers look a lot like big kid diapers. They are a little bigger than a size 7 and 8 but the sides do not stretch like baby diapers do and pull ups. My waist size is 27, sometimes 26. But I can fit into a Tena size small, US and EU. But I always stuck with mediums because they hold more. I probably won't buy diapers that say they fit up to 31 waist. 

Also what I find weird is adult diapers or youth diapers may say they fit hips 20 or 15 but I measured my children and their waist sizes are 27 and 25 and their hips are bigger than 20 inches and they are 4 and 7 so I am finding the hip sizes off on these packages and not adding up. My son is very skinny. My daughter is built different but she isn't fat. My children's hips were about a inch smaller. 21 inch hips is a size of a toddler like one years old. I guess children could wear size small adult diapers including bigger toddlers if they outgrew baby diapers because that is basically what these prevail size small diapers are. The only good thing about these diapers is the rise isn't too high. With mediums, they are too high so I am always tucking the tops down to make it not so high.