LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Screw that

$40 is a drop in the bucket.    I spent almost a thousand on septic pumps.    They pumped my tank down and told me to be judicious with the water use.   I figured I'd use diapers all day and get one quick shower in.

7 hours ago, Dubious said:

Get a outdoor toilet, dig a hole in the ground and shit in it

Might not be so popular if you live in the city...

Been there done that when I was young, today people would never want to be subjected to such an inconvenience, but they may have to some day.

I've had sewage problems too for that past 5 days until yesterday when I finally got it to drain. 

The sewer line is that orangeburg sewer pipe and it was collapsed part way and then when I took section by section off and dug it all out by hand with a shovel and dug up a 10 foot section of it I then was able to get some PVC water line down it and finally after blowing some air down it through the PVC water line it finally unclogged. 

I sure wasn't gonna be digging that whole sewer line up by hand and I didn't and don't have the money for a backhoe. 

I was using a bucket for a toilet for those 5 days but I would've used diapers if I had any but I didn't. 

After that experience I'm sure thinking it would just be easier to wear diapers for my toilet if I could afford it and heck it might be cheaper to wear diapers if I hired a plumber to come out and do the job. 

After I got those collapsed sections removed from near my house I thought that was the problem but it still wouldn't drain and I thought oh crap I hope it isn't collapsed further down. 

Thankfully it wasn't and something was just clogging it towards the connection to the main sewer line. 

It's working now and I hope it continues to work until I get more money sometime. 

Orangeburg pipe will fail- the only question is when. Replacement is the only option with it; other types can often be repaired. Lowes now rents mini-trackhoes for a reasonable price ;) I don't know the details but it sure beats hand-digging!

Bettypooh

10 hours ago, Bettypooh said:

Orangeburg pipe will fail- the only question is when. Replacement is the only option with it; other types can often be repaired. Lowes now rents mini-trackhoes for a reasonable price ;) I don't know the details but it sure beats hand-digging!

Bettypooh

hmm, can you describe what a trackhoe is or does? Could I use it to dig out around my foundation?  I tried searching on their web site and don't see it.

@2sail2

It has an arm and bucket like a backhoe, but runs on tracks instead of wheels. The cab rotates 360 degrees and it's about the size of a Bobcat skid-steer machine. Google "Case CX17C" for an example of one of the smallest ones. From what plumbers tell me these are better than the Bobcat backhoe attachments and they seem to do well in the semi-hard clay soil we've got here. 

Bettypooh

2 hours ago, Bettypooh said:

@2sail2

It has an arm and bucket like a backhoe, but runs on tracks instead of wheels. The cab rotates 360 degrees and it's about the size of a Bobcat skid-steer machine. Google "Case CX17C" for an example of one of the smallest ones. From what plumbers tell me these are better than the Bobcat backhoe attachments and they seem to do well in the semi-hard clay soil we've got here. 

Bettypooh

ah, thanks, essentially a mini back-hoe.  I did have a guy who was interested in doing it who has one of these, but he never gave me the quote.

Where I live everyone in town has a septic tank. There is a guy that lives a couple houses down the street from me that pumps the sewage out of the tanks for our town and the surrounding area. Our septic tank is located in our back yard and every once in a while we have to dig up the lawn to gain access to the lid. Once that lid comes off, good hell does it stink. You can’t ever say your shit don’t stink after that..:lol:! Anyway, we had just spent money on sod to cover the back yard and the damn septic system “craps” out on us so we had to dig up the entire back lawn once again! It ended up costing us several thousands dollars!

16 minutes ago, baby-dandan said:

Where I live everyone in town has a septic tank. There is a guy that lives a couple houses down the street from me that pumps the sewage out of the tanks for our town and the surrounding area. Our septic tank is located in our back yard and every once in a while we have to dig up the lawn to gain access to the lid. Once that lid comes off, good hell does it stink. You can’t ever say your shit don’t stink after that..:lol:! Anyway, we had just spent money on sod to cover the back yard and the damn septic system “craps” out on us so we had to dig up the entire back lawn once again! It ended up costing us several thousands dollars!

We have a septic tank, but it's a simple job to take the gravel & concrete slab off the top.  Then we get someone to come along & pump it out.  Every couple of years, & it only costs  about £200, shared between 2 houses.  Think I'll stay in the UK.  We did have a problem a few years ago when willow roots got into the drainage pipes out of the tank, but that's just once in 20 years, & only cost me about £300 I think.

I've been on Vacation (at my Brothers place in Florida) for 10 days, and not having brought diapers along (because they would be hard to hide and inconvenient to deal with) I had pooped on 3 days and all 3 times it was too much for the toilets to flush and it would have been convenient just to have diapers to poop in so it didn't happen; but thankfully it didn't take too much to get the toilets back to working order.

That seems to happen a lot with me.

I have lived on a septic tank and drain field for 20+ years. Never had it drained, never had a problem. But I grew up on a septic so I taught my wife and kids about all the things you can't flush. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WetDad said:

I have lived on a septic tank and drain field for 20+ years. Never had it drained, never had a problem. But I grew up on a septic so I taught my wife and kids about all the things you can't flush. 

My whole town is septic tanked. Each summer you can't mistaken the smell of fresh cut grass flowers and rotten eggs

On 6/14/2018 at 9:32 PM, Bettypooh said:

Bettypooh

The whole pipes needs replaced eventually and I'm hoping it will hold out until my house is paid off which will be in December of 2024 so not that far away. 

I would replace it now but don't have the funds available to even rent a backhoe or pay for the pipe. 

I can replace it myself and operate the backhoe but the money just isn't there right now. 

I made a connection to the orangeburg pipe with a rubber connector that clamps on and attached a pvc sewer pipe to that. 

So far it's still draining and I hope it does continue to work until either the house is paid for or I can get some more money saved. 

I hated digging that little spot out by hand for the sewer pipe as it took me a few days to finally get it dug out but thankfully I got it working. 

If I had the money a backhoe would've been rented for sure. 

It's not the most pleasant subject for discussion but septic tanks are by far the safest and 'greenest' way to deal with human waste. If they are sized, installed, and used correctly they should not need attention for 10-20 years. Coupled with a 'gray water' system they give a near-zero footprint of human activity, get clean water back into the aquifers faster, use far less water overall, have less chance of accidental spillage or overflow, and cost a huge amount less than a sewer and treatment system. It's one of the most perfect things mankind has ever devised. But it takes some land and it can't be done everywhere plus most folks abuse them without knowing it.

Anyhoo, back to specifics. When the time (and money) comes along it might be wiser to simply re-do the entire drainfield in one fell swoop rather than only replacing the pipe. The cost shouldn't be that much higher but you'll have more grass replanting to deal with. At least check the surrounding soil for compaction and 'perk' first or you may end up having to do that anyway somewhere down the road. My preference is to use perforated PVC wrapped with soil fabric laid in a gravel bed contained by soil fabric. That gets you the best of everything. Nowadays everyone has gone to using the corrugated wrapped 'direct burial' pipe because it's cheaper and easier to run. Oftentimes that doesn't give enough flow, especially in dense or clay soils. Using a 'rooter' to clear obstructions destroys it and nobody knows for certain how long the pipe will last. Plus it crumples more easily should you need to drive across it to do tree work or access another part of your yard with a truck. Like so many other of today's 'engineered' building products, what reality does is different than what the testing labs went by so the results you get often negate anything you saved. Do it right and do it once- try to save money and you'll probably end up doing it again later on as is the situation with Orangeburg pipe. In my 40 years of being in the building business I've learned that the old ways are still often the best ways but not always. Let experience teach you which is which , not the design engineers.

Bettypooh

when me and the g/f got our house, everything seemed alright. but one day early on we found water in the basement and a wall seemed damp. after some quick work with the sawz-all, i found the black iron sewer main in the wall had a split in it.... after some more investigation, pipe removal, re investigation, more wet basement, more pipe removal, and many frustrating days/weeks, i found the crack went all the way up the wall and it turned out the elbow at the top had it's outer side MISSING!! after that, i wound up removing all the back iron pipe i could reach as a precaution, totaling 20+feet of pipe cut out and replaced with pvc. luckily my mom lives about 15min north of us, we were able to live and shower there while we renovated. gotta love old houses :P 

i could probably live without toilets, but i need my shower, damnit!

• Like 1

I live on a 10 Acre ranch with 2 houses that share a Water Well and a Septic Tank. Was doing laundry and as the washer was draining I went into the down stairs bathroom to find that the water draining from the washing machine was backing up into the bathtub. We lived 4 days with no shower, Toilets. decided F**K it! I am wearing diapers if I need to pee. Found out that the Idiot plumber used a T Fitting instead of a Y fitting to connect both houses to the septic tank. Took a 25 Dollar sprayer from the local hardware store on the end of a garden hose and ran 60 PSI of water from the house with the clog and walah! We had Excellent drainage after that. It would have cost around $4,560.00 To pull up the sewer and have it redone. 

Arrh, to be sure,   One hasn't lived life to the full, till one has been on the wrong end of a drain cane.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2018 at 12:58 PM, Stroller said:

We have a septic tank, but it's a simple job to take the gravel & concrete slab off the top.  Then we get someone to come along & pump it out.  Every couple of years, & it only costs  about £200, shared between 2 houses.  Think I'll stay in the UK.  We did have a problem a few years ago when willow roots got into the drainage pipes out of the tank, but that's just once in 20 years, & only cost me about £300 I think.

Hey, Stroller 

The reason it cost us so much to do our septic system is that we had to redo our whole backyard. Where I live, there is a main house that my parents live in and just behind that there is a small garage that has been turned into a studio apartment; which is where I live now.  We had just laid sod down over the entire back yard because it was in rough shape when we moved in. The original septic tank for the house was put in over 70 years ago and it is solid concrete. The apartment bathroom is at a lower level then the house bathroom. The contents (oh, let’s just say wee-wee and boom-boom) get stuck in the pipes because the level of the pipes is at almost the same level as the tank itself and does not drop down on it’s way to the tank. Now, because of all this we had to hire someone to dig up the whole back yard so we could put a bigger plastic tank and all new pipelines deeper down so there would be more of a vertical drop so the contents could make it safely there. After all this was done we once again had to redo the entire backyard. You gotta love these old houses, if you have to do repairs you find that nothing is level and it takes awhile to find the right part because they just don’t make them anymore.

On 6/12/2018 at 9:31 AM, Dubious said:

Get a outdoor toilet, dig a hole in the ground and shit in it

Might not be so popular if you live in the city...

OMG!!! We can't do that! It might pollute the ground water!!! Poor animals might die! Like they don't poop on ground or in water. Screw that! :P

@baby-dandan

You're so right about old houses, and that's why I love them. They need a different approach but the reward is that you have unique history while everyone else has bland cookie-cutter "clone homes" which are not special at all. And your's will probably outlast theirs too! 

Bettypooh

i got a worse story than that, last year, my toilet kept getting backed up, we thought maybe the tank needed pumped, so we got a company to come and pump it out, not only did we find out that didnt work, the access we thought was for the septic line turned out to be to the leach field, which didnt need anything done to it, so the other side of the tank had to be dug up, allowing access to the line, it was backflushed, and it worked ok for a little bit, a couple weeks if i remember, then we had to call that company back out, turns out the guy was suppose to have ran a camera up the line, he didnt, he was fired.

the new guy came, flushed it out, ran a camera and showed us a break in the line, the company wanted almost a thousand ontop of what they charged for the first flushing and for the pumping(no charge for the 2nd flushing because it was a callback). we couldnt afford that, fortunately an uncle has a friend who has a boy that needed some money, and that boys friend needed some too, they spent all day digging up the 20 foot line, which broke where the tools hit because it was fragile as a chicken egg(well not really that weak but you get the idea), and it was too thin, maybe 1/8th inch roughly, the new schedual 40 pipe cost about 66 bucks, and the boys was paid 175 each, and they installed a cleanout, which there wasnt before, and that helped diagnose a problem later. that worked alright for about a month if i remember right, then backing up again, the boys friend went under the house, saw that there were 2 right angles in the line(dumb, the idiot husband of my cousin must have done that, if he had a brain he would be dangerous), he changed that out for a more straight line, well that worked better, the waste was moving faster from what we could see in the cleanout,

then early this year we had yet another toilet fuckup, turns out what the uncles friend thought was right wasnt when he directed the first repair, what he did was slip new 4 inch pipe over the existing 3 inch pipe, nothing there to step it down, he said the dirt would just pack in around it and seal it, NOPE, when it rained the water percolated down and took some mud with it into the pipe, and where there was maybe a quarter inch gap where the 2 pieces of pipe met in a connector(the connecter overlaps the pipe ends, but there was a quarter inch where it wasnt fully seated i think) and mud must have collected there, building up, and we had a clog there, that is where the cleanout helped us track down the problem, the guy my mom was dating at the time came up and helped us get it working with a temporary fix, we ran a snake up it from teh tank end, used a clothes hanger to snag the end and pull it up out of the cleanout, wrapped a handtowel around it and secured it with some clothes hanger wire, and i pulled it back through, that cleared the blockage, and it came POURING OUT, he said it was like a cow taking a crap, it was like the line had diahrea and it filled the entire diameter of the pipe, he took a travel blanket and trashbag and temporarily wrapped the bad connection and we havent had any more trouble, im hoping it holds until we can get that fixed right(she isnt seeing him anymore), next year we should have the money to get that done right, 7 more months and the car will be paid off, and we can kill some debt and free up some funds.