LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Which daytime cloth nappies can you recommend?

Stroller

Question

I'd like to switch to cloth nappies for much of the time.  I'm sorted for night-time, as 4ft terry squares are perfect for me.  They're too bulky for daytime though, as they need to fit under street clothes.  To put that into perspective I can just about get away with a Safari under my street clothes, & easily get away with a Molicare.

What I'd like is:

1.  Something I can buy at a reasonable price from the UK.  That probably rules out US suppliers.

2.  Something I can put through a hot wash.  That probably rules out velcro.

3.  Something without tight elastic round the legs, or I'll quickly get weals..

4.  Something without a waterproof layer - I'll wear pants over the top.

5.  Decent absorbency - they've got to hold a couple of wettings at least.

I suspect that rules out most things, so I'll probably have to bend at least one item in that wishlist.  abdlfactory.com do some snap-on pants from fuubuu, whoever they are.  They look possible, although I doubt I could give them a hot wash.  Babypants contour diapers look good, but I can't find a UK importer.  Ditto for babykins pullons.

Has anyone any recommendations?  My plan is to buy one of each "possible", then decide on what works best for me.  Thanks!

12 answers to this question

57 minutes ago, Craisler said:

Contoured diapers would meet most of your requirements.  However, I’m not sure if they’re available in the UK or where you’d find them. There are a couple of US suppliers. The contoured or fitted diaper eliminates much of the bulk in the crotch area. 

I know, but as you say, they seem to be hard to come by this side of the Atlantic.  I've had one for about 25 years I bought from DPF & never used much while I was "under cover" raising the kids.  I wore it yesterday for most of the day, & it fits the bill well.  Velcro, but plenty of it, & not where it will scratch.  An hourglass soaker to match.

It's not the bulk in the crotch that concerns me, it's the bulk everywhere else that's the problem with a nappy square.  I used to have a t-shaped terry nappy.  That was more discreet, but it was still a bit bulky round the hips & anyway I can't see any of those around these days either.  No idea where that came from, but it could have been DPF too.  There wasn't anywhere much else to shop back before the www!

Hi, I’m in the US, and not really in tune with what’s available to you in the UK. But, I have order some from the UK. Anyway, I just thought I’d try and offer some help. You might want to look for cloth pull-on nappies, or the like. Those seem to offer better stealth, under clothes I think. And you can always add booster pads to help increase absorbency, if needs be. The boosters, allow you to put the absorbance where it can work best, and not have bulky hips, or bum. I did a quick search, and found these, http://www.snuggleblanks.co.uk/  I don’t know if they are good, but it’s a start. 

I wanted to also suggest, for a different kind of nappy faster to consider, look at a Snappy. https://www.snappibaby.com/

They have 2 sizes, you need to look for size 2, or toddler. Size 2 will work on adults. They hold great, and very snuggly. This could help with a faster, that still allows regular washing and less hassle. If you wanted to stay with a traditional style daytime nappy, that is. 

Thanks very much Bill.  Snuggleblanks was new to me.  It's Blankencare, but they're new to me too.  I've ordered a couple of things from them, & something from thenappylady.co.uk.  The fuubuu diapers look promising too, but the liners are out of stock at abdlfactory.com at the moment.  I'll report back on what I end up with once I've got them & tried them all out.

You are welcome! I’m no expert, and I’m in diapers/nappies cause, I need to be, but not because of a medical need, I just have always loved them, all my life. I always like to try, and use some of my amassed knowledge, and help out where I can. 

A report back from yourself, on your findings would be good. It may help someone else too? Good luck/hunting! 

Contoured diapers would meet most of your requirements.  However, I’m not sure if they’re available in the UK or where you’d find them. There are a couple of US suppliers. The contoured or fitted diaper eliminates much of the bulk in the crotch area. 

If you use the daytime weight contoured diaper similar to the one from the Adult Cloth Diaper Co., the bulk should not be a problem.  I wore those for years under my jeans.  With a cloth diaper, bulk = absorbency. You have to decide which is more important; a diaper that is more easily concealed or one that has sufficient capacity to not need changing every time you wet it.

OK thanks Bill, thanks Craisler.  I've shortlisted a few possibles, & I'll be trying them out when I've got hold of them.  I'll then decide on what my goto daytime nappies will be, & stock up with enough to get me through.  I think I'll write it up as it might answer a few questions for others.  I'm thinking of rating them for:

1. Comfort.  I walk Binkie 5 miles most days, so this in important.

2.  Bulk/stealth factor.  How noticeable are they under my normal clothes?  My standards won't be as stringent as others, as I wear baggy cargo shorts in the summer & baggy corduroy trousers in the winter.

3.  Effective capacity.  I'm thinking of 2 measures here: (a) how much do they hold with me still confident they're OK (ie normal changing time) & (b) how much do they hold before leaking.  I'll have to be careful with the latter!

4.  How much I like them!

Any suggestions for anything else to rate them on?  I'm going to avoid rating on cost & value for money.  And I won't know how well they last for a while yet, I hope.

My current plans are to include in these tests:

1.  My normal disposables, to give others an idea of how washables compare with disposables.  That's:  Rearz Safari, Molicare Slip Maxi (plastic backed) & Tena Maxi pullups.

2.  My old DPF velcro contoured nappy.

3.  Double thickness terry pants with a soaker (I've got these already, for night-time use, but I'll give them a daytime test too).

4.  fuubuu Snaps Cloth Diaper CD407 from adblfactory.com with a soaker - the soakers are currently out of stock so this will have to wait.

5.  Bambinex adult nappy with soaker from thenappylady.co.uk.  This has a waterproof cover.

6.  Contislip nappy from snuggleblanks.co.uk (Blankencare).  Probably too bulky for daytime, but I'm giving it a go anyway.

7.  Jersey pullup pants with a soaker, also from snuggleblanks.co.uk

8.  Leakmaster contoured nappy with a soaker from adultclothdiaper.com.  But there are out of stock too, so I'll have to wait for this one too.  Just as well really, I've already spent much too much for this month!

Don't hold your breath for the results - this is going to take a few months...

I’d recommend not wasting your money on all-in-one diapers.   They are virtually guaranteed to leak. The absorbent material is sewn right up to the leg gathers in the crotch area. As a result, urine will wick out the stitching holes and be squeezed out the leg openings when you sit. I’ve tried many different brands and they all exhibit this problem. 

I would add, ease of washing, and drying to your appraisal. Some nappies will wash, and dry quickly, others not so much. Depends on what they are made from, how tight the weave is, and how thick. 

I have a very heavyweight, or thick custom made cotton flannel diaper. I love them, the bulky feel I get wearing them, and they will hold a lot, but washing them... Takes time! And getting them dry, even more. I couldn’t tell you the numbers, on dry times off hand, but I put one through an entire heavy dry cycle, and the inner core still came out damp. 

OK thanks very much guys.  I'll add a drying time column to my spreadsheet, although it'll have to be subjective to some degree.  My dryer stops when it thinks things are dry enough & I won't be standing by timing it accurately!  I'll add a washing temperature column too.

I've only included one all-in-one nappy in the trial (I think), & I'll probably wear plastic pants over the top initially in case it really doesn't do the job.

My guess is that I'll end up with the contour nappies from adultclothdiaper.com, with safety pins.  They look simplest & up for a hot wash, & won't be bulky.  I could easily be wrong though.  And they'll have to have them back in stock before I can find out.

1 hour ago, Stroller said:

My guess is that I'll end up with the contour nappies from adultclothdiaper.com, with safety pins.  They look simplest & up for a hot wash, & won't be bulky.  I could easily be wrong though.  And they'll have to have them back in stock before I can find out.

I still like, and use traditional safety pins myself, but I still would recommend you giving the Snappies a try. They make for a good snug fit, they will, unlike pins, help pull your nappy nice and snug, even as you move. Just be sure, if you do want to try them, you look for the bigger size 2 or toddler sizes. With some practice, and a bit of care, they can work well, even on an adult nappy. 

• Like 1

My wife uses both diaper pins (one on each side), and then follows up with Snappies to keep my diapers nice and snug. Since she'll usually put me in thick, nighttime cloth diaper with an insert, even during the day, she doesn't have to change me as often since the Snappies help to keep my diapers from sagging when they get really wet.