LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Hard and crackling

Why do plastic pants become all hard and crackly in the front and crotch area, but remain soft and supple everywhere else? This seems to be happening to all my plastic pants over a period of time even when washing by hand.

Perhaps:

Chemical reaction with urine and laundry products when applied directly to the front and crotch - whereas the other areas are not treated with the harsh agents ?

And you are NOT using a dryer to dry the plastic pants - simply hanging out to drip dry (out of the sun) ! 

Sometimes I will tumble them in the dryer for a couple of minutes with other items on low or no heat just to get rid of some of the wetness remove from dryer and then  hang dry.

As far as I know this is related to oil and fat on your hands, very little you can do about it. Most DL’s or AB`s for that matter like to touch their diapers and / or plastic pants. Oil and fat on your hands will transfer onto the vinyl causing it to harden. Same thing goes for oil and lotion they usually do not go well with plastic

If you have favorite plastic panties that you'd like to rescue, and if you can get to a craft store (or get it online): Sculpey clay softener can sometimes soften and rejuvenate vinyl that has hardened.

In a nutshell, PVC plastic is actually hard and brittle (think PVC pipes). Manufacturers add softeners (called "plasticizers") to it to make  it soft and flexible. Oils break down those plasticizers. So will heat and ultraviolet light, so don't hang your plastic panties out to dry in the sun. The softer and thinner the vinyl of the plastic panties, the quicker this process occurs.

Sculpey "clay" isn't really clay, it's powdered vinyl suspended in a plasticizer base. Sculpey clay softener is just a bottle of liquid plasticizer to soften vinyl clay that has gone hard, but you can use it on any vinyl to soften it. There are videos of people using it on pool toys made of thick, stiff vinyl to make them much softer and more rubbery. As usual, though, your mileage may vary: your plastic panties might be softened up really well, or the vinyl might be too damaged from the oils to ever go back to being soft again.

Especially if you wear your plastic pants next to your skin, your penis is the warmest part of you that they cover - in addition to being the part you're most likely to touch.

My pants are all polyurethane, & they don't seem to do this at all.  And they're very soft.  No good if you want baby prints or crinkly pants of course, but they don't seem to perish like PVC & vinyl, & last a long time despite being very thin.

• 2 months later...

With Comco, the material would be in good condition after the elastics were totally worn. That may be an attribute of the 6 and 7 mil panties. But I have a good number of panties where the elastics are totally worn but the body of the panty is fine

• 4 months later...

The reason vinyl pants get brittle and crack is from the oils on your skin or oils you use when diapering and is you mess in them and fecal comes into contact with the vinyl in the crotch area.  That is what I observed and heard after years of using them and having to constantly replace them.  A little over a year ago I tried something new and they are Polyurethane pants from Fetware.  They say they are not affected by oils and chemicals.  I purchased some and found them to be the best plastic pants ever.  They are extremely soft.  They are extremely comfortable.  The elastics are the most comfortable.  After I am still using the same 4 pairs 2 small and 2 medium over and over with washing in between use.  They are still in the same condition as when I purchased them other then getting stained from contact with fecal matter.  I have 4 other pairs of each that I have not even used yet.  I wear a small with my 38 in waist because they are snug on my diapers and help hold them up when wet.  Then I use a medium over that to stop any possible leakage.  I use the no wick pants and they do not leak through to my clothes.  Only occasionally do I get some leakage past the small pair and it is always contained in the medium.  

Modern waterproof fabrics such as polyurethane laminate (PUL) are practically indestructible and easy to clean. I've used my homemade ones for years without a problem with the exception that if I get a really wet diaper, there is a little wicking at the leg openings past the double-fold elastic. On rare occasions, you might get compression wicking if you sit too long with a diaper that is wet in the rear.

But PUL is as authentic as a politician. It does not feel like real baby panties to me and I would have to change my name from Christine to Madison or Ashley

Back to topic. Being a boy, it is not surprising that something in your undies would be hard and stiff

PUL is not the same as Polyurethane pants.  These pants are plastic pants is all aspects.  They are not a fabric pant with a waterproof liner.  Check them out at Fetware.  They have both types.  They have the PUL and the Polyurethane pant.  The pants I am talking about are exactly like plastic pants other then being see through.  They do come in colors but are also see through.

Polyurethan has a kind of rubbery feel to it. Besides, the idea of panties made from a furniture finishing material is a bit off-putting to me

10 hours ago, Wet Knight said:

And yet you delight to sleep between sheets made from adhesive !

Polyurethane waterproof pants are just so comfortable, that they are hard to beat for everyday  wear.

From what you have said before, I thought that you were nothing but real, and expensive, rubber panties

I have no problem with the Gary 7 mil panties with the Babykins rubber panties. Just get the right size and elastics

• 1 year later...

I read on here that you can soften up a hardened pair of plastic pants. I have a few favorite pairs I like that are indeed very stiff and noisy and they used to be softer. They said use Sculpey softener from the art stores. Is it a liquid and how do you apply it? Rub it on the surface. Do you clean it off once it softens them? Can it be handled or you need a cloth? This is important because for years I was trying to find out how to re soften them again.

On 10/30/2020 at 11:30 PM, MikeDJ said:

I read on here that you can soften up a hardened pair of plastic pants. I have a few favorite pairs I like that are indeed very stiff and noisy and they used to be softer. They said use Sculpey softener from the art stores. Is it a liquid and how do you apply it? Rub it on the surface. Do you clean it off once it softens them? Can it be handled or you need a cloth? This is important because for years I was trying to find out how to re soften them again.

I got all my information from this video before I tried experimenting:

It's a liquid, and it's supposed to be non-toxic, but you should always wash your hands afterwards. I've softened quite a few of my pairs of plastic pants with it. I always just used my bare hands. This is the procedure I used:

1. Turn the plastic pants inside out.
  2. Squirt some Sculpey softener inside - the more you use, the softer your pants will get.
  3. Massage the pants to get the Sculpey evenly spread around. At first, the vinyl will feel oily, slick, and will look super shiny.
  4. Fold them up and let them sit.
  5. Massage them a couple times a day to keep the softener spread around.  After a couple of days, the slick feeling will start to go away. After a few more days, when your pants don't feel oily or look as shiny anymore, they should be as soft as they can be with the amount you used.
  6. Hand wash the pants in slightly warm water and just a bit of mild laundry detergent.

I had a few pairs that were hardened in the crotch from me constantly touching the plastic. Those, I "spot treated" by just using a little bit of softener and rubbing it in with my hands.

I had other pairs that I wanted to make super soft and rubbery, so I did what I describe above. It took about five or six days, but now they almost feel like rubber instead of vinyl.

Just keep in mind that your mileage may vary. The thinner the vinyl or the softer it is to start with, the less softener you need and the less time it should take. The thicker the vinyl is, or the harder it is, the more softener you need and the longer it will take. It's possible that some plastic might not be able to be softened this way if it's too far gone or too damaged. Always start with a little bit and repeat as necessary to get the softness you want.

Oh, I almost forgot. If you go "super soft" like I did, keep your plastic pants away from direct contact with hard PVC or polyurethane. The softeners in your plastic pants will want to leech out and into those other plastics, damaging both of them! If you've ever seen what rubber worms can do to a plastic tackle box, you know what I'm talking about!