LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Messy diaper smell?

Im just wondering, how long does a messy diaper smell last? Today I spent about 3 hoursin a soaked diaper before I messed it then cleaned up. I took a shower and scrubbed my diaper area with a perfumey body wash 3 times as well as sprayed some body spray down there once I dried up. Though I still find a messy diaper smell is lingering and getting into the fabrics of my pants? Does this smell go away quickly or does it take hours for it to clear out?

If you change, dispose of the diaper in a plastic bag and shower, the smell should be gone after that. However, if you have the diaper not sealed up, the smell will permeate everything and the smell will remain.

Short of cremation (brutal, but effective), I found having less or no hair down there helps a lot.  Even that’s not perfect but maybe a 70% reduction.

If you have the opportunity, a subsequently worn nappy that gets wet only seems to deal with it near perfectly.

I have a theory that is somewhat confirmed by a show I saw on TV.  Weather it's feces or urine, the smell can sometimes linger well after you shower and clean up for a few reasons.  You may not clean up well enough, but when you do shower, you usually use very hot water.  That opens up your pores more.  Your pores work 2 ways.  They allow moisture in to help hydrate your body when you need it, and they also open up to sweat when you are hot.  If you are in a wet or messy diaper, some of the moisture will be absorbed into your skin and pores.  When you shower with hot water, more water will be absorbed because your pores open up more.  You dry off, get dressed and as you go about your day, your pores will open, not to absorb but to sweat or just cool down your body some.  That will allow the previously absorbed urine or feces smell to exit the pores causing some odor, however faint or strong it might be.

Lets look at a gasoline senario such as I saw on TV.  This fellow on one of the reality shows got gasoline splashed up in his face, mouth and upper body.  He ran to wash it off with soap but was stating you always want to use cold water because hot water will open up your pores and allow the gasoline to be absorbed into your body, which can really harm your liver and kidneys.  I believe that to be true.  If it absorbed into your body only to come right back out and be gone a few moments later, then your liver and kidneys wouldn't have any problems.  Evidently, when it absorbs into your body it stays there for a while.  How many people have splashed some gas on your hands when filling your car, lawn mower or gas can?  You wash and wash but no matter how much you wash you can still smell the gas a few hours later.  I'm not one to shower in cold water after removing my wet diapers, but I have sometimes noticed a slight urine odor hours later if I sweat a little no mater how much soap and hot water I use when scrubbing my diaper area when I shower.

14 hours ago, Fulldiaper said:

If you change, dispose of the diaper in a plastic bag and shower, the smell should be gone after that. However, if you have the diaper not sealed up, the smell will permeate everything and the smell will remain.

I think he is talking about the lingering smell on his body after having wet and messed his diaper and showered, not the smell from the used diaper itself once thrown away.

Part of the problem is body hair.  The hair also absorbs urine and fecal odor. I’ve found that removing all hair in the diaper area helps minimize lingering odors and eases clean up. 

I read on a nursing forum that you should wash in cold water first and then hot.  They should know since they handle lots of messy stuff.  I googled getting poop smell off skin and came up with lots of solutions.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:02 AM, rusty pins said:

I have a theory that is somewhat confirmed by a show I saw on TV.  Weather it's feces or urine, the smell can sometimes linger well after you shower and clean up for a few reasons.  You may not clean up well enough, but when you do shower, you usually use very hot water.  That opens up your pores more.  Your pores work 2 ways.  They allow moisture in to help hydrate your body when you need it, and they also open up to sweat when you are hot.  If you are in a wet or messy diaper, some of the moisture will be absorbed into your skin and pores.  When you shower with hot water, more water will be absorbed because your pores open up more.  You dry off, get dressed and as you go about your day, your pores will open, not to absorb but to sweat or just cool down your body some.  That will allow the previously absorbed urine or feces smell to exit the pores causing some odor, however faint or strong it might be.

Lets look at a gasoline senario such as I saw on TV.  This fellow on one of the reality shows got gasoline splashed up in his face, mouth and upper body.  He ran to wash it off with soap but was stating you always want to use cold water because hot water will open up your pores and allow the gasoline to be absorbed into your body, which can really harm your liver and kidneys.  I believe that to be true.  If it absorbed into your body only to come right back out and be gone a few moments later, then your liver and kidneys wouldn't have any problems.  Evidently, when it absorbs into your body it stays there for a while.  How many people have splashed some gas on your hands when filling your car, lawn mower or gas can?  You wash and wash but no matter how much you wash you can still smell the gas a few hours later.  I'm not one to shower in cold water after removing my wet diapers, but I have sometimes noticed a slight urine odor hours later if I sweat a little no mater how much soap and hot water I use when scrubbing my diaper area when I shower.

I think he is talking about the lingering smell on his body after having wet and messed his diaper and showered, not the smell from the used diaper itself once thrown away.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2018 at 10:52 PM, Fulldiaper said:

It's not that simple unfortunately. The smell is so strong, I find that even after an intensive cleaning with a soapy washcloth in the shower, I can still smell the poo on the towel that I dried by back side with. I find the best thing to do after a shower to get the smell off your bottom, is to simply put on another diaper (with lots of baby powder in the seat of the diaper) after a shower. Then sit down and play a computer game for an hour or so.

Essential oils will help better than anything. I use one of the many varieties of “Thieves’ Oil” for those special times when you need a non offensive smell. Some are absolute fakes and others are very good. It’s a hit and miss kind of thing. Once you get one you are satisfied with, you will find only a few drops in an entire bath tub full of water will be enough.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 5/25/2018 at 1:12 AM, oznl said:

Short of cremation (brutal, but effective), I found having less or no hair down there helps a lot.  Even that’s not perfect but maybe a 70% reduction.

If you have the opportunity, a subsequently worn nappy that gets wet only seems to deal with it near perfectly.

Totally agree, I find having no hair in my bottom crack reduces the pooey smell loads

Those above pretty much said it but keeping a smooth hairless diaper area is REALLY useful for reducing lingering smell as well as making the cleaning process much smoother (pun intended :thumbsup:). As long as you clean up afterward by scrubbing with soap and cold water you should be able to remove 99% of any poop smell; using scented wet wipes for clean up can also be effective though not as effective as the soap and water method.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Over the many years I've been in messy diapers, I've found the "lingering smell" after a thorough washing to be somewhat psychosomatic.

Even if I think I can still smell it, I will ask my girlfriend, who every time has said that there is no trace (and she's not just being polite), and has a better sense of smell than I do.

One thing I can attest to is that putting on a fresh well-powdered diaper afterwards is a good remedy, even for the parts that are just in your head. Also, ensuring that any messy diapers are disposed of in a sealed bag (and immediately thrown in the outside trash bin) makes an actual difference to smells which may linger in your home.

Can be psychosomatic..but could the smell be lingering on your fingertips & under your fingernails...So you notice it more than other people because you regularly put your hands near your mouth?

If you've thoroughly bathed/showered I suspect this is much more likely to be the source than your bum & genitals area which are designed to be pointing in the opposite direction.

If you take a pair of pants or panties which you or anyone else has been wearing all day & give them a good sniff you'll notice all sorts of aromas but if people have good personal hygiene & wash regularly, use perfume or deodorants & put on fresh clean clothes daily generally nobody notices.   

Try getting an old-fashioned perfumed bar of soap (seems to work better than modern gel for this) & a nail brush to give your fingers a good going over afterwards .it does the trick for me.

I have re-usable cloth diapers & incontinence pants which I hand wash in the sink before putting in the washing machine. They come out dry smelling fresh & clean even though I just use a regular wash cycle on a low temperature.

I believe it also has to do with what you eat.  Some foods put off a nasty fecal smell that can knock out a maggot though there are medicine you can buy that will help lower the smell.

I plan on getting them from Amazon or if I can find it in walmart.

https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Activated-Charcoal-Packaging/dp/B0006LCQ4Q/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_121_bs_lp_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8CJMCCRKJ19G7MP7CP6Z

https://www.amazon.com/Nullo-Internal-Deodorant-60-Caplets/dp/B000Q6HBIW

that might help as well.

I'm using activated charcoal, natures way. It is very effective in masking the smell. A pair of plastic pants or rubber pants on top of my diaper, too, and I'm able to be in a messy diaper and no one can tell, unless the the diaperbulge is too noticeable in the back.

Im just wondering, how long does a messy diaper smell last? Today I spent about 3 hoursin a soaked diaper before I messed it then cleaned up. I took a shower and scrubbed my diaper area with a perfumey body wash 3 times as well as sprayed some body spray down there once I dried up. Though I still find a messy diaper smell is lingering and getting into the fabrics of my pants? Does this smell go away quickly or does it take hours for it to clear out?

I had it all day today from the night before, get some cologne and make sure your hair down there is clean as a whistle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 4 months later...
On 9/22/2018 at 6:45 AM, PP Rebel said:

Can be psychosomatic..but could the smell be lingering on your fingertips & under your fingernails...So you notice it more than other people because you regularly put your hands near your mouth?

Sorry to bring up an old thread... but GLOVES man GLOVES. I thought this was common knowledge but maybe not. Buy a pack of surgical gloves from the pharmacy and whenever dealing with something messy, put them on, and dispose of them afterwards.

On 6/5/2018 at 12:33 AM, crawling-in-diapers said:

The smell is so strong, I find that even after an intensive cleaning with a soapy washcloth in the shower, I can still smell the poo on the towel that I dried by back side with. I find the best thing to do after a shower to get the smell off your bottom, is to simply put on another diaper (with lots of baby powder in the seat of the diaper) after a shower. Then sit down and play a computer game for an hour or so. 

+1 to that. For some reason (that i won't bore you with the chemical explanation of) talc based baby powder will kill the odor quite quickly.

For those that believe that it remains on your skin, or enters the sweat glands, there is partial evidence for this, however only if you're in it a long time. The absolute BEST solution to these problems is to use a good barrier cream like Sudocrem or Nappy Goo before you put on your diapers. These will keep the poop from ever actually touching your skin at a microscopic level (even though it still feels like it) and makes cleanup a lot easier. Therefore, once you manage to wash these greasy and polymeric lotions off your skin, your golden. Note: they are not easily soluble in water, and further polymerize with alkalines like soap so for that I use a weak acid like vinegar to remove them, then apply fragrant soap.

As always, I hope I helped, and i hope you learned something.

9 hours ago, Idzy said:

Sorry to bring up an old thread... but GLOVES man GLOVES. I thought this was common knowledge but maybe not. Buy a pack of surgical gloves from the pharmacy and whenever dealing with something messy, put them on, and dispose of them afterwards.

If you're a carer or healthcare professional cleaning up other peoples messes, especially those who are sick or infirmed, then of course it's got to be surgical gloves every time. . 
But I've been wiping my own arse after going to the toilet, as well as my once in a while messy toilet 'accidents', for over 50 years now . I don't wear surgical gloves for this but do thoroughly wash & scrub my hands afterwards, & in all this time there has never been an apparent ill effect on my health .
 I have no idea if bdmw96 wears gloves to clean himself up afterwards, & was suggesting his hands might have been the source of his poop smell to try & be helpful...If he does wear gloves I guess he might have said so already in reply.
Wearing gloves in addition to scrubbing hands is of course an option, but not one which I would personally recommend as essential, except in the event of someone having a known personal health condition & being recommended to do so by a qualified medical practitioner.