LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Thoughts on Cloth Backed Disposalbes

Hi there, I have always been one that loves plastic backed diapers.  The only down side to them is the noise they make when you’re in a situation where you don’t want to be discovered.  With one of my orders from Northshore I got a couple of free samples of their Air Supreme diaper.  Well I tried them and have bought some more.  On my first order I accidentally got the Air Premiums but that’s another story. 

I thought I’d share what I like and don’t like about them and get some feed back from the community on your thoughts about cloth backed diapers. 

1.       I like the fact that you can refasten several times.

2.      I don’t like the fact that have to refasten several times.

3.      Even though I don’t like to have to refasten or feel like they are falling off there is something appealing about having the wet diaper sag between my legs.

4.      I both like and don’t like that, for me at least, I feel wetter in the cloth backed diapers. I don’t like it because it makes me feel like I might leak (which hasn’t happened yet) I do like it because feeling like I’ve wet my pants makes me feel naughty and more like a little boy again.

5.      I also like that if I want to use the bathroom I can easily take them down and tape them back up again. And because they fit looser if they seem to be at or near capacity all I have to do is stand over a toilet pull my pants down and I can pull the diaper aside a little while still wearing it ad maneuver my “special purpose” out the side and pee in the potty. That way I get to stay wet and not over saturate it. Best of both worlds really.

Over all I like them a lot and will continue to use them for my daytime use.  I’m also thinking that for the summer I might switch to the Air Supreme for my bedwetting issues since I don’t think they will be as hot.  Now as for the air premiums that I ordered by mistake.  They are much thinner than the Supremes and I frankly thought they wouldn’t hold up well but, surprise, surprise they work awesome too. I’ve been in one now for 5 hours and I don’t think its at capacity yet and I’m sitting on a hard chair with no press out. 

Well that’s my experience, I’d love to know what everyone else thinks about the cloth backed diapers and if you have another brand you think is awesome as well.  I’ve never had an ABDL diaper just because I’m not sure what my wife would say.  Who knows, maybe NS will send a couple samples of Krinkles and then I can just say they were samples.  Well gotta run, everyone have a great day.

Kappy aka Groot

If I had the choice all the time, I'd use plastic backed diapers.  The thing is, unless you go with premium diapers or AB adult diapers, most of what you find for people with incontinence these days is cloth backed.  In their infinate wisdom. manufacturers are trying to make adult diapers seem not so much like diapers for the stigma it might cause people who need them.  Cloth is quiet and discreet and that's usually what you find.  I did score 2 packages of Attends 4-tape plastic backed diapers at the local Goodwill the other day, 24 diapers per package for $4.50 each.

I work part time and money is very tight for me, so I get my diapers at the thrift stores when they have them.  Usually cloth backed diapers like Attends and Prevail and they work for me.  I find that they are still absorbent, the only difference is cloth verses plastic backing.  Since I enjoy wearing diapers a few times a week, I have little choice but to buy what is available.  With cloth backed disposable diapers I do have to reposition the tapes a lot more to keep them tight.  It's just a fact that the cloth side panels will streach as you move and your body temp rises.  What I usually do is either wear a pair of underpants, briefs over my diaper and that holds it up against my body even if the tapes do loosen up do to streaching.  Sometimes I'll wear plastic pants over my diaper for the same reason with the added benefit that if I do leak a little the plastic pants will hold those leaks.  With jeans on over my diaper and underwear/plastic pants, everything is held tight and I don't have a problem with a loose diaper even if it streaches around the waist.  Therefore, while I do like plastic backed diapers, the cloth backed were well enough for me, especially when I can get a pack of 18 large for about $3 at the thrift store.

With all that said, it's true that sometimes a cloth backed diaper can leak or wick wetness to the outer cover if you wet them too much.  You still have to be aware that it's a diaper and will have a limit to it's capacity weather it's a premium diaper or a store brand.  Any diaper will leak if you wet too much.  The above mentioned plastic backed Attends I got at goodwill, for example, leaked yesterday mornings while I was sitting here on Daily Diapers reading the posts and chatting in the chat room.  If I know I will be out somewhere and might reach capacity before I can change, I will use a booster pad and plastic pants knowing the limitation of the particular brand of diaper I choose to be wearing that day, weather plastic backed or cloth backed.  While plastic backed is my preferred diaper, I probably wear cloth backed disposables a lot more because that is what is available most of the time.  Either way, I enjoy both of them.

In privacy, I love a good, thick, plastic-backed disposable.  But for out and about in public, discreteness is important to me, I go for cloth backed disposables.  I probably wear cloth backed a lot more than I do plastic backed. What everyone's already mentioned about cloth backed is true.  Especially adjusting the tapes on active days. I also do tend to change my cloth backed diapers  a little sooner than I would a plastic backed one.  But I've had all kinds of diapers leak- everything from thin pull-ups to Dry 24/7s and Rearz Safaris. 

Ugh.  I can't stand cloth backed disposables.  I mean...they're still diapers but I just don't enjoy wearing them as much as I enjoy wearing plastic backed.  I understand that they fill a need but they're just not for me at all.

I've grown to like the current cloth-backed Tena Slip nappies but there's still situations you have to be careful with them, and wear net support pants for example. The important thing is to give the waistband a good stretch before putting them on, then fasten it tightly.

I haven't had any luck with cloth back, the mostly leak, I can use a cheap plastic backed that is saturated with a puddle sagging and it holds it if I am standing up. I use a cheap plastic backed for night, with what ever kind of cloth backed inside ( I use a razor knife ti make slits in it so it will leak in the middle of the outer diaper) I also love a baby diaper to be the one against my stuff. If my night is heavy I will get some leakage onto the towel under me. But my bed is well protected. And I am one that sleeps on the plastic wit no sheets, its the only way.:thumbsup:

Just an observation.  Disposable baby diapers used to be plastic backed and then they changed to cloth backed.  It makes sense that the older people here were probably raised in plastic backed disposable diapers and the younger ones probably raised in cloth backed disposable diapers.  I may be all wet with my theory, but of the people who responded, the ones who like plastic backed are ages 50, 71, 45 and 56.  The ones who like both are age 58 and 52.  The ones who prefer cloth backed diapers are age 27, 50, 37 and 28.  Do you think it has something to do with the type of diapers people wore when they were younger?  I really don't know as I'm not sure when baby diapers changed from plastic backed to cloth backed.  Maybe only the 18 to 23 year olds experienced actual cloth backed Pampers and Huggies when they were toddlers.  I never wore disposable diapers myself as a baby or toddler so I am not one to know.  How about those who respond stating what they wore as toddlers or what they remember wearing as kids, plastic or cloth backed and what they prefer these days?  It would be interesting to see if what they wore as kids influence what they prefer as adults.

We don't have a lot of experience with the Seni line but the samples my SO has tried work better than any other cloth backed. I think the looseness issues with cloth backed might have more to do with the backing being very thin and thus weak and less to do specifically with being cloth backed. At least that's part of the problem. Seni are very well made so seem to have less issues in that regard. 

Still no reason to not use plastic backed other than lack of availability. 

11 hours ago, rusty pins said:

Just an observation.  Disposable baby diapers used to be plastic backed and then they changed to cloth backed.  It makes sense that the older people here were probably raised in plastic backed disposable diapers and the younger ones probably raised in cloth backed disposable diapers.  I may be all wet with my theory, but of the people who responded, the ones who like plastic backed are ages 50, 71, 45 and 56.  The ones who like both are age 58 and 52.  The ones who prefer cloth backed diapers are age 27, 50, 37 and 28.  Do you think it has something to do with the type of diapers people wore when they were younger?  I really don't know as I'm not sure when baby diapers changed from plastic backed to cloth backed.  Maybe only the 18 to 23 year olds experienced actual cloth backed Pampers and Huggies when they were toddlers.  I never wore disposable diapers myself as a baby or toddler so I am not one to know.  How about those who respond stating what they wore as toddlers or what they remember wearing as kids, plastic or cloth backed and what they prefer these days?  It would be interesting to see if what they wore as kids influence what they prefer as adults.

i was raised in cloth and plastic pants. I have a thing for plastic. Perhaps it is my age? Or was I potty trained too early?

I like plastic back but prefer cloth backed when out walking alot or working, cause i wore a confidry to an amusement park to see if it would last all day and it did, but the problem was the middle of the diaper was sagging after a while and rubbing against my thigh irritating it wear as a cloth diaper wouldn,t

4 hours ago, Angela Bauer said:

When I wear a cloth-like Attends Breathable I cover those with snug knit ladies' briefs to keep the diaper snug.

I've worn cloth-like and it just doesn't feel like a "real"  diaper (meaning a disposable with plastic backing). They sagged, came apart , tore and generally made a big baby mess :huh:, even hiked up with plastic panties. The plastic panties kept the mess somewhat contained. The best baby feeling is a cloth or plastic disposable with the ever present plastic panties. I like plastic (like I had to tell y'all that... NOT! :angel_not:).

I've thought about this thread, & whether I prefer plastic or cloth-backed disposables, & I think I've got a preference for plastic, although I don't really know why.  It's not likely to be connected with my experience as a real baby/toddler, as I'm of an age when babies wore terry nappies here in the UK.  When I started wearing nappies again, I started with terry, but switched largely to plastic-backed disposables because they were more practical - no washing problems & less obvious under street clothes.  When the cloth-backed ones appeared I used them too.  I've switched back to Molicare plastic-backed now - they just give me a bit more confidence.  I'm not convinced the cloth-backed retain odours as well.  Mind you, I'm always in plastic pants too, & I do wear cloth-backed pullups some of the time.

I came to the conclusion that the baby side of me doesn't really care, as long as I'm comfortable.  The adult side of me still has to worry about what to put baby into, & why, but my baby side just rolls with whatever happens.  If mummy was nappying me, I'd be happy to leave the choice to her.  If wishes were horses...

I don't like cloth-like backed diapers but there are some which perform very well and I can understand why many would prefer them. The best one I've tried is Seni and I was amazed at how well it did :D Among the cheap stuff Depends seems to leak less through the cover than the store brands ;) While I never want to be 'discovered' inadvertently it's not a big thing for me and I'm not going to let a little added discretion make me stop wearing plastic-backed diapers.

Bettypooh

I have recently changed to advance cloth backed nappies and found them pritty good. I do were a plan black onesie with them to stop the sagging wich works well. I found a supplier ho sells them at nearly half the price of other suppliers so thay are affordable for me. There pull ups are good as well. 

I understand the "fear" of discovery and being discrete. That's how it was for me decades ago. Now I don't care and sometimes try to get people tol notice the bulk and/or the crinkle. Most people are distracted by the look or noise but very few will actually say anything before they're distracted by the next shiny object. I also wear onesies to help hold up the noisy diaper and noisy plastic pants. I look like a pencil with almost no hips and very little butt.

On 5/18/2018 at 3:39 PM, Kapelmeister said:

So far not too many people like the cloth backed diapers.  I'm surprised they even make them.

Yeah, I don't get it either. But somebody must be buying or pushing them...

On 5/18/2018 at 3:39 PM, Kapelmeister said:

So far not too many people like the cloth backed diapers.  I'm surprised they even make them.

They work well for the elderly, who are still the largest market, aren't as active as younger folks and are changed more often. Cloth-backed disposables do breathe better and stay cooler, which is especially important for older people with more sensitive skin.