LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

How heavy do my diapers really need to be?

A lot of the premium disposable diapers I see advertised claim they can hold 2000 or even 3000 mL of liquid. Is this too much capacity, or are they just exaggerating? There's no way I have a 2 liter bladder, and I won't be wearing while asleep.* At the same time, I read posts by people who leak at night with these high-capacity disposables, and I know those grocery store briefs aren't designed for a full wetting.

I'm still new to the game, and my activity would consist mostly of (awake) wetting games and little regression. If these are meant for multiple wettings, how many? I don't want to go 24/7, just have a little fun on weekends.

*I'm actually a little afraid of untraining. I want to keep the option of control, even asleep.

The ratings published by manufacturers are laboratory test results and do not represent real-life situations.

As a rule of thumb take the published capacity and cut it in HALF. That will leave you with a better representation of how the product will perform out in the real world. The manufacturers test rigs do a poor job of accounting for "press out" or "will it leak if I sit down." If you are standing up a diaper will hold tons, but if it all goes squishing out the sides when you sit down then what good is it?

Now for me, I wear 24/7 and use the Dry 24/7. On a day with what I'd consider "normal" fluid intake and "normal" activity levels I can get 8-10 hours out of one. Heavier fluid intake or activity can cut that time to 6 hours, less fluids and activity can extend it to 12.

So, as the old saying goes "Your mileage may vary." For anyone new to diapers I would suggest trying numerous different brands so you can see what works best for you.

• Thanks 1

You wouldn't have to worry about "untraining" just by wearing to bed, despite what stories say it is very difficult to "untrain" and you wouldn't do it by accident.

• Like 1

Actually, I was just struggling with this issue tonight! Currently I'm on 3 different types of blood pressure medication, one of which is Hydrochlorothiazide and Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic that helps lower blood pressure by increasing the amount of urine produced in the body, causing your body to filter out salt and water. So because I take this medication every day, I have to use the restroom a trillion times a day. This becomes more of an issue when I go to the movies, which is every Tuesday (all of my furry friends meet up every Tuesday for dinner and a movie). Tonight we went and seen Avengers: Infinity Wars (which is long as hell!) And I always wear a diaper to the movies. With how often I have to use the restroom during a movie, not wearing a diaper would mean getting up 2 or 3 times during the movie!

So I go to the movies diapered so that I don't miss the movie. The problem is, I usually have to go so much that by the time the movie is over, my diaper is ALWAYS at its limit and I'm at risk of leaking at any minute. Matter of fact, there have been several times I had to put a towel down on my car seat because I knew the second I sat down in my car, my diaper was going to leak! Tonight it was a real issue because the movie was so long that I could not risk the diaper leaking during the movie. I had already wet twice(I'm talking 2 full bladders worth, the kind that is difficult to hold) and when the 3rd full bladder crept up (which was towards the end) I decided to make myself wait till the credits so I could rush to the bathroom and use the potty afterwards (since my diaper was already close to the limit and wetting anymore could have been disastrous) but when I got up I was already at the point of desperation where every step I made actually hurt to hold in. Once or twice on the way to the bathroom I let a little out just to relieve the pain of trying to hold it that long. Once I finally made it to a stall and attempted to pull down the front of my diaper just enough to go standing up, I tore the plastic on the front of the diaper. 

So to answer the question, yes! It is VERRY necessary to have diapers available that will absorb 2000 - 3000 ml of liquid and on top of that, I think diapers need to also use thicker plastic! Currently I'm wearing Tykables overnight diapers (an older version that I bought a little over a year ago that I've now heard have been slightly re-designed?) And while I have no clue how absorbent they are exactly, at one point I remember they pushed the boundaries of absorbency and they are not absorbent enough (the plastic isn't thick enough either). Regardless of what diapers I end up buying next, I will most likely invest in diaper stuffers just so I can feel more confident that my diaper will be able to handle the amount of wetting I will be doing while at the movies! For me, the more absorbent and thicker they are, the better! I'm pretty good at hiding the diaper poof and if I end up with diaper butt or a diaper outline then so be it. People are not that observant in public spaces! 

On 5/9/2018 at 12:23 AM, padded_husky said:

Actually, I was just struggling with this issue tonight! Currently I'm on 3 different types of blood pressure medication, one of which is Hydrochlorothiazide and Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic that helps lower blood pressure by increasing the amount of urine produced in the body, causing your body to filter out salt and water. So because I take this medication every day, I have to use the restroom a trillion times a day. This becomes more of an issue when I go to the movies, which is every Tuesday (all of my furry friends meet up every Tuesday for dinner and a movie). Tonight we went and seen Avengers: Infinity Wars (which is long as hell!) And I always wear a diaper to the movies. With how often I have to use the restroom during a movie, not wearing a diaper would mean getting up 2 or 3 times during the movie!

So I go to the movies diapered so that I don't miss the movie. The problem is, I usually have to go so much that by the time the movie is over, my diaper is ALWAYS at its limit and I'm at risk of leaking at any minute. Matter of fact, there have been several times I had to put a towel down on my car seat because I knew the second I sat down in my car, my diaper was going to leak! Tonight it was a real issue because the movie was so long that I could not risk the diaper leaking during the movie. I had already wet twice(I'm talking 2 full bladders worth, the kind that is difficult to hold) and when the 3rd full bladder crept up (which was towards the end) I decided to make myself wait till the credits so I could rush to the bathroom and use the potty afterwards (since my diaper was already close to the limit and wetting anymore could have been disastrous) but when I got up I was already at the point of desperation where every step I made actually hurt to hold in. Once or twice on the way to the bathroom I let a little out just to relieve the pain of trying to hold it that long. Once I finally made it to a stall and attempted to pull down the front of my diaper just enough to go standing up, I tore the plastic on the front of the diaper. 

So to answer the question, yes! It is VERRY necessary to have diapers available that will absorb 2000 - 3000 ml of liquid and on top of that, I think diapers need to also use thicker plastic! Currently I'm wearing Tykables overnight diapers (an older version that I bought a little over a year ago that I've now heard have been slightly re-designed?) And while I have no clue how absorbent they are exactly, at one point I remember they pushed the boundaries of absorbency and they are not absorbent enough (the plastic isn't thick enough either). Regardless of what diapers I end up buying next, I will most likely invest in diaper stuffers just so I can feel more confident that my diaper will be able to handle the amount of wetting I will be doing while at the movies! For me, the more absorbent and thicker they are, the better! I'm pretty good at hiding the diaper poof and if I end up with diaper butt or a diaper outline then so be it. People are not that observant in public spaces! 

Despite their name Tykable Overnights are definately more of a day time diaper.  I used to wear them or Barebums diapers to work everyday and I found myself changing very often.  They were awesome for discreetness but not so great for capacity.  After a few uses and they began to swell they would stay almost permanently wet.  This is the reason why you are experiencing "press out" leaks. 

This is also not great for your skin as it keeps constantly moist.  I found when wearing these diapers I would experience diaper rash and chaffing a lot more than I do now.

For day to day use I now only use Rearz diapers designed for overnight use or ABU Simples.  These diapers are much better at absorbing your pee pee and have much higher capacity.  An eight hour work day is no issue for both of these diapers and I experience diaper rash very rarely.  A lot of people believe that Rearz diapers are impossible to keep discreet due to their thickness but I absolutely respectfully disagree as I wear them around my family and to work everyday without anyone noticing.  The cost of these diapers is what will hurt and if cost is a factor I would recommend ABU Simples or ABU Space diapers.

Of course fit is another factor.  Some diapers fit our individual bodies better than others which is very important for both leak protection and diaper rash prevention.

Dry 24/7 diapers are great and relatively inexpensive for their holding capacity.  They are the best bang for the buck so to speak.  The absolute pet peeve I have about them is that when I pull them down to use the potty for #2 the fluffing breaks apart and all clumps around in the crotch area making the diaper very ackward and uncomfortable.  This has never happened to me when wearing a Rearz diaper even after pulling it up and down three or four times.

9 hours ago, padded_husky said:

Actually, I was just struggling with this issue tonight! *snip*

Have you tried the Dry 24/7s? They have top-notch capacity and the outer shell is quite rugged. 

So I actually use to wear Dry 24/7 diapers and then when Tykables released their Tykable Overnight diapers in extra large, I ordered a case... that was over a year ago and I've been wearing them ever since, manly because it's been taking me so long to go through them. I don't always get to wear as often and for the past year I haven't been able to go to the movie meets due to my work schedule but I'm finna getting towards the end of my diaper stash. I haven't decided what I was gonna go with but I was trying to decide between ABU Simple diapers and Dry 24/7. I also wanna invest in booster pads but I have no idea what to go with. I use to buy Abri Let Maxi booster pads until they changed their design. Now I have no idea what to get. I will say that ABU claimes ABU Simple holds 5000 ml (or 169 oz of liquid) where as xpmedical claims dry 24/7 holds 95 oz (roughly 2809.5 oz of liquid). So it seems like ABU might be the better option? Though depending on price; it might be a better option price wise to buy dry 24/7 with boosters? 

4 hours ago, padded_husky said:

So I actually use to wear Dry 24/7 diapers and then when Tykables released their Tykable Overnight diapers in extra large, I ordered a case... that was over a year ago and I've been wearing them ever since, manly because it's been taking me so long to go through them. I don't always get to wear as often and for the past year I haven't been able to go to the movie meets due to my work schedule but I'm finna getting towards the end of my diaper stash. I haven't decided what I was gonna go with but I was trying to decide between ABU Simple diapers and Dry 24/7. I also wanna invest in booster pads but I have no idea what to go with. I use to buy Abri Let Maxi booster pads until they changed their design. Now I have no idea what to get. I will say that ABU claimes ABU Simple holds 5000 ml (or 169 oz of liquid) where as xpmedical claims dry 24/7 holds 95 oz (roughly 2809.5 oz of liquid). So it seems like ABU might be the better option? Though depending on price; it might be a better option price wise to buy dry 24/7 with boosters? 

I recommend that you try a sample of ABU Simples.  The sizing of these diapers is unusual compared to other diapers.  Their size range is very small and specific which is awesome for finding the proper fit.  With a lot of diapers sometimes they are either too small or too big.  In almost every other brand of diaper I wear a size L but with ABU Simples I wear XL.

ABU also now sells the ABU Simple Ultras which have greater capacity but honestly the extra cost is not worth the purchase in my opinion.  At $161 for a case of 80 diapers that are scented in babyish perfume that is barely over two dollars a diaper for the ABU Simples.  This is not a bad price but it is more expensive than Dry 24/7 diapers which cost $107 for 72 on Amazon.  

I do not use booster pads so unfortunately I can not recommend you this type of product.

ABU simples always leak on me very fast. I guess my body shape just doesn't fit with ABU's design.

As @diaperboilerman says, Betterdry are one of the best and most absorbant diapers out there, though you have to trade discreetness when wearing Betterdrys, as they swell insanely in the front.

• 1 month later...

I feel there is a misconception that a thicker diaper can not be worn discreetly.  I wear thick diapers in public everyday.  This includes at work where I am amongst co-workers and in meetings with my bosses.  When I am on the road on a service call I am thickly diapered through airport security and on the airplane ride to a customer's site.  I climb around industrial machines and meet with high level executives all while heavily diapered.  I wear thick diapers when I am fishing and I wear thick diapers to the family Christmas get togethers.  So what is in common with all the places I am thickly diapered in public?  The answer is no one around me knows I am wearing diapers.

Recently I have proven this.  The best Project Coordinator in the world sits in a cubicle immediately next to me at work.  She is one of the smartest and most observant individuals I have ever known.  Not only does she not miss anything she also previously had experience in the medical industry.  If anyone in the world could pick a padded butt out of a diaper line up I promise you it would be her.

Yesterday I told her for the first time that I have been wearing diapers permenently for the last eight months and she was completely dumbfounded.  Besides from being so smart she also is very honest.  She is not someone that would notice and not say anything.  She would pull you aside and say "what is going on because I know you are wearing diapers."  Not to embarrass you but to simply make sure you are okay and to offer her support in any way.  This wonderful woman had absolutely no clue.

So do not be afraid to wear thicker padding when out and about.

1 hour ago, MarkSmith said:

So do not be afraid to wear thicker padding when out and about.

I'd go with that too.  Just don't wear skintight clothing.  Dark colours, baggier fits, thicker fabric all help.

On 5/8/2018 at 5:53 PM, LilLew said:

A lot of the premium disposable diapers I see advertised claim they can hold 2000 or even 3000 mL of liquid. Is this too much capacity, or are they just exaggerating? There's no way I have a 2 liter bladder, and I won't be wearing while asleep.* At the same time, I read posts by people who leak at night with these high-capacity disposables, and I know those grocery store briefs aren't designed for a full wetting.

I'm still new to the game, and my activity would consist mostly of (awake) wetting games and little regression. If these are meant for multiple wettings, how many? I don't want to go 24/7, just have a little fun on weekends.

*I'm actually a little afraid of untraining. I want to keep the option of control, even asleep.

Convert that to English units. If you believe that you can go around carrying 2-3 QUARTS: over 1/2 GALLON around in your panties. I have some lakefront property to sell you. You can inspect it for yourself by looking up at the moon at night. That is right in there with the claim that you do not need rubber panteis -- until you do

Take it from the little girl; the Emperor is buck nekked; bollicky bareass

If you want to know how much a nappy really holds, you'll have to try it yourself, or talk to someone who has.  Weigh the nappy before you put it on, wet it until you think it's full or until it starts leaking, then weigh it again.  It will only be a fraction of the claimed capacity, but it will be realistic.  Do it a few times to get a decent average.  The manufacturers just measure how much liquid the nappy will hold when laid out flat, not with a body in them that's moving around.  I'm testing a few disposables & washables like this, & I'll post the results when I've got them.  This is just to find the best washables for my own use, but the results could be useful for others, so I'll share them.

On 5/8/2018 at 2:53 PM, LilLew said:

Think of it this way. Babys dont need as much absorbency because well...they are smaller so dont produce as much. Adults are about 8x production and size of a 3 year old so you want a diaper that equals what a child would need but adult sized if that helps. So 3000ml is about what the basic line of huggies snug and dry would be for adults

There are several diapers which hold an amazing amount of urine. I've not measured any but I'm sure some get close to 2L or maybe more in actual use. At that point they want to slide down with me, or tapes pop, or plastic stretches so only my pants hold them on.  With the ones which fit me well there are no leaks; a good fit means everythying regards leakage. I've worn a few high-capacity diapers which leaked long before they should have because they didn't fit me well; those exact same diapers get raving reviews from most other wearers. A good fit is crucial to getting the most out of the capacity.

The thing you have to ask yourself is whether you need that much capacity and if there isn't a better approach.  Often it's best if you can simply change once or twice through the time you're going to wear. Several hours into use, the urine becomes stale and begins to stink. Diaper padding might clump and loosen. There's a much higher chance of a press-leak when you sit down after standing for awhile. And they are going to be swelled quite a bit. I manage almost all my workdays with one Molicare Slip Maxi, but I know that it's not optimum, only a workable approach for me. A mid-day change would be best, but my job makes changing diapers at work very problematic. 

I've been rather thickly diapered for years with no one the wiser. Clothing choice and consistency makes all the difference here. Since I'm always 'thick' nobody really sees that, but if my visible shape changed significantly that would be quite obvious. I started with thinner lower-capacity diapers then 'outgrew' them as my bladder control lessened so the shape-change was kind of gradual which helped alot. It's all worked out perfectly for me, and now I can enjoy being thickly diapered all the time, just like I want to be. 

I was given a case of small cloth-backed Molis which I can't tape up as I'm too big. I decided to try them as stuffers in the cheap pull-ups I wear around home. The capacity is nearly as good as my medium Moli's which was quite a surprise. When wet, my butt looks huge and the 'diaper sag' is somewhat obvious but I'm finding that to be kind of fun. I enjoy being thickly diapered more than I worry about discretion except at work where discretion is a necessary evil. So yeah, you too can wear high-capacity diapers with the right approach. That sure beats wearing low-capacity diapers and constantly worrying about leaks, and it can be lots of fun too!

Bettypooh

• Like 1