LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Cloth diaper inserts

Slim27

I'm trying to save money by extending my diaper usage but don't like plastic pants because they're too hot so i wanted to use cloth diaper inserts in my disposables but am not sure which ones are good so hoping to find an answer here thank you

I have found flat flannel baby diapers by Gerber are an inexpensive and versatile option to premade diaper doublers. I fold them into thirds to get an absorbent and comfortable doubler. When I want to really extend my time between changes I will double the flannel giving me 6 layers. An added benefit is when you wash them they wash and dry as a single layer. I often replace a wet flannel with a dry one if I am not quite ready to get cleaned up.

I recommend against using cloth in a disposable, as you are basically nullifying all the advantages of a disposable in the first place, in terms of its ability to lock up urine as gel, and thus keep you comfortable over a longer period. Instead, you will find yourself with sodden cloth clamped against your skin after the first wetting, and as soon as this cools and starts to chafe, it will become uncomfortable enough you'll probably want to change sooner than you would without it. Also, urine saturated towelling will see urea turn to ammonia quicker than if it were fully 'locked up' and accompanied by the deodourising compounds used by most modern diapers, so you will also start to get more issues with odour if trying to wear longer term without changing.

Instead, I recommend trying to get some disposable 'booster pads', which can be acquired fairly easily through sites like eBay etc, and are relatively cheap considering the boost they give to the capacity of a diaper. Alternatively, if that's not possible, you can buy a pack of cheapest generic baby diapers, and use a blade to cut the absorbent pads out from the centre (with the cheaper brand diapers, you'll generally find that the pad separates cleanly from the plastic outer once cut down the sides, back and front). Then use these pads in the seat of your regular diaper the same way.

If you want to wear cloth, I suggest you go all the way, and wear cloth entirely, with a good pair of plastic pants. Be prepared to change more often than with a disposable, though, not less (unless you like the feeling of sitting in cold stale pee!), and to pay a sizeable initial outlay for a quality starter set of cloth diapers (they will pay for themselves eventually through reuse, not to mention the environmental benefit) - though as I've detailed in other posts, it is of course possible to improvise with regular towels if you're only going to be wearing at home.

14 hours ago, R682 said:

I recommend against using cloth in a disposable, as you are basically nullifying all the advantages of a disposable in the first place, in terms of its ability to lock up urine as gel, and thus keep you comfortable over a longer period. Instead, you will find yourself with sodden cloth clamped against your skin after the first wetting, and as soon as this cools and starts to chafe, it will become uncomfortable enough you'll probably want to change sooner than you would without it. Also, urine saturated towelling will see urea turn to ammonia quicker than if it were fully 'locked up' and accompanied by the deodourising compounds used by most modern diapers, so you will also start to get more issues with odour if trying to wear longer term without changing.

Instead, I recommend trying to get some disposable 'booster pads', which can be acquired fairly easily through sites like eBay etc, and are relatively cheap considering the boost they give to the capacity of a diaper. Alternatively, if that's not possible, you can buy a pack of cheapest generic baby diapers, and use a blade to cut the absorbent pads out from the centre (with the cheaper brand diapers, you'll generally find that the pad separates cleanly from the plastic outer once cut down the sides, back and front). Then use these pads in the seat of your regular diaper the same way.

If you want to wear cloth, I suggest you go all the way, and wear cloth entirely, with a good pair of plastic pants. Be prepared to change more often than with a disposable, though, not less (unless you like the feeling of sitting in cold stale pee!), and to pay a sizeable initial outlay for a quality starter set of cloth diapers (they will pay for themselves eventually through reuse, not to mention the environmental benefit) - though as I've detailed in other posts, it is of course possible to improvise with regular towels if you're only going to be wearing at home.

Well the  thing is you are wrong with saying ;urine saturated toweling will see urea turn to ammonia;.The thing that turns pee into ammomia is lack drinking liquard.If you drink enough our pee will not smell like ammonia.I know cause for years I did not drink enough and me pee stunk of ammomia and when I started drinking drinking more water and stff my pee stopped stinking.

1 hour ago, waynecook52 said:

Well the  thing is you are wrong with saying ;urine saturated toweling will see urea turn to ammonia;.The thing that turns pee into ammomia is lack drinking liquard.If you drink enough our pee will not smell like ammonia.I know cause for years I did not drink enough and me pee stunk of ammomia and when I started drinking drinking more water and stff my pee stopped stinking.

Um, no. Urea in urine breaks down into ammonia, as a natural process. If it's more dilute, of course there will be less urea per volume, and therefore less ammonia when it breaks down, true. But urea does still turn to ammonia over time, as the result of bacterial action: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea.  If you don't believe me, it's easy enough to test. Urinate on a towel, smell, then leave it for six hours in the warm, and smell again... Urine doesn't smell of ammonia at first, no matter how concentrated it is, but over time it begins to break down, and ammonia is formed.

Not looking for an argument, though. :-(   Decide for yourself, and go your own way.

Rearz and Bambino (etc.) is kinda like cloth diapers as they are shit at keeping skin dry

Its the only diapers I have to use a booster in front, but can't be arsed with cloth

23 hours ago, Slim27 said:

I'm trying to save money by extending my diaper usage but don't like plastic pants because they're too hot so i wanted to use cloth diaper inserts in my disposables but am not sure which ones are good so hoping to find an answer here thank you

Terry cloth pullups (made special) and vinyl pants work well for me... 

Here are the valid points.  He is trying to save money.  Buying disposable inserts or booster pads is not saving money as they are a one time deal that get's thrown away after use and has to constantly be replaced.  If he was going to spend the money on disposable boosters all the time I'm sure he would just buy more expensive and absorbent diapers instead.   Plastic pants are also a cost even though they are reusable.  They still tear and wear out eventually needing replaced.  He states they are too hot for him as well, therefore terry cloth pull ups and vinyl pants are also not what he is looking for.  He's specifically looking for a cloth insert to use in his diapers that he can wash over and over and keep using.  He's looking for advice from members on what type of reusable cloth insert or booster pad might work best inside his disposable diapers to extend their usage.

For cheap, I agree with cutting up an old terry cloth towel to whatever size you think would work best.  You could try cutting it into different lengths, widths, folds until you find what works best and feels the most comfortable.   If you make a mistake, who cares?  It's just an old terry cloth towel and I'm sure there are more where that came from.  You could even layer 2 or 3 of them if you want to experiment ho how absorbent they are.  My DL friend mostly wore cloth adult diapers with plastic pants but instead of one thick heavy adult diaper he wore thinner diapers and layered them in the center with folded up cloth baby diapers.  That way he could add or subtract absorbent layers where he needed them most depending on his situation.  The added benefit was the faster drying time thin diapers took as opposed to one thick heavy cloth diaper.

For absolute cheap and reusable, I suggest cutting the old terry cloth towels and reusing them instead of throwing them out.  For a little money, check out the local thrift and goodwill stores for donated cloth baby diapers at a cheaper price than retail in a store.  True, if you use cloth inside a disposable diaper you will feel wetter as the cloth will wick wetness though out the entire diaper, but if you use it only as a doubler or booster pad in the crotch, the rest of your diaper will remain comfortable, especially if you don't extend the cloth insert way up in the seat of your diaper.  Your body heat will also keep the cloth part of your diaper warm and not cold when wet.  It's not like wetting your bed, leaking and sleeping in cold sheets. 

On 4/20/2018 at 9:06 AM, BabyJune said:

Go to wazoodle.com and check out a product called Zorb and Zorb 2 to use as a soaker insert for cloth diapers.

I checked that out and it sounds good which one should i get and how many layers and where from as i dont know how to sew or have a sewing machine

6 hours ago, Slim27 said:

I checked that out and it sounds good which one should i get and how many layers and where from as i dont know how to sew or have a sewing machine

I just got a sample of Zorb II Dimples. I think the 30" fabric is affordable enough to be worth the experiment. 

Well I'm one who is using clothdiaper inserts in my disposable. It not only adds absorbancy meaning you stay longer in your diaper before needing to change e.g. performing just like a disposable diaperbooster. But where a clothdiaper booster really adds to the absorbancy of a diaper, is the superior wicking of wetness. Meaning wetness will be spread out in your diaper so you utilize more of the padding. However you do need to drink more water so your pee doesn't smell as strong (that you gave to anyway when wearing and using diapers, when being among others). I use pul pants on top to help reducing smell. But honestly I never had any problems smelling my wet diaper, even with clothdiaper inserts.
I use 4 layer microfiber inserts 10x40cm

Sendt fra min BTV-W09 med Tapatalk

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:13 AM, Slim27 said:

Go with Zorb II (Zorb 2) as it requires no sewing. Unlike standard Zorb, Zorb 2 can be worn against the skin. All you will have to do is cut the sheet into whatever size soaker panels you want to use. You can order it either directly from Wazoodle of get it through amazon.com. It is sold by the yard. You can use as many layers as you want, but one or two should be fine. I make soaker panels that are approximately 10" by 17" and only use one, although two would absorb more but be a bit bulkier.

On 4/23/2018 at 8:07 AM, BabyJune said:

Go with Zorb II (Zorb 2) as it requires no sewing. Unlike standard Zorb, Zorb 2 can be worn against the skin. All you will have to do is cut the sheet into whatever size soaker panels you want to use.

I was looking at my sample swatch and wondering about that little detail. Thanks for that.

I avoid having extra materia between my legs becasue it slows the exit of wet from that part of my body. The skin in that area is quite delicate and wet is quite harsh, so that is not exactly a marriage made in Fairyland. This is especially important since I am in the same diaper for up to 16 hours (usually more than 10). The secret is thicker or multiple diapers. What happens with me is the wet quickly passes through the part between my legs and comes up against the rubber panties. It then spreads along the outside of the diaper so that the diaper wets from the outside in. Now, my diapers are very thick bit it is like having a diaper that is 3 layers of material all around instead of something that is 2x4x2. The diaper can be put on at 7:00 pm and not be chanted until 9 or 10 AM. Also the lack of extra material between the legs allows air to move around so it is all good

You should try Walmart "Flour Sack Cloths" which can be found in the kitchen section with the dish towels.  They cost only $5 for five 28"x 29" flat 100% cotton cloths which you can fold into any configuration or thickness you desire.  You can even start with two or three cloths and fold them together to make a super absorbent pad.  Since they are flat/one layer they wash and dry very easily.  I add one folded into six layers into my nighttime diaper and add a PUL pant over that.  Using this combination I've had zero leaks get outside of my diaper much less out of my PUL pants.

Update: I just got 2 layer zorb 2 dimples diaper inserts and i am very unimpressed but happy that i didn't waste too much money. The claim was that they can absorb 10 times their weight but they only absorbed 2-3 times their weight so it's back to the drawing board for me for diaper inserts

On 4/20/2018 at 7:56 AM, diapered dewayne said:

I have found flat flannel baby diapers by Gerber are an inexpensive and versatile option to premade diaper doublers. I fold them into thirds to get an absorbent and comfortable doubler. When I want to really extend my time between changes I will double the flannel giving me 6 layers. An added benefit is when you wash them they wash and dry as a single layer. I often replace a wet flannel with a dry one if I am not quite ready to get cleaned up.

Can you please send me a link to get those, I found birdseye and gauze flatfolds but i could not find the flannel flatfolds

On 4/20/2018 at 8:06 AM, BabyJune said:

Go to wazoodle.com and check out a product called Zorb and Zorb 2 to use as a soaker insert for cloth diapers.

I ordered a sample of Zorb II some time ago and am favorably impressed. After several washings, it has fluffed up quite nicely. So just today I ordered a half yard. 

• Thanks 1