LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Gel beads harmful?

BbEve

Question

Hello, 

Had an explosion of beads from a diaper this eve. I am a bit worried about the possibility that the beads could have traveled inside. I read they are non-toxic, Any experience out there able to weigh in? 

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

The chemical in diapers which absorbs water to become gel beads is sodium polyacrylate (or some close equivalent), which is a non-biodegradable (doesn't naturally break down into anything else) complex polymer, comparable to a plastic molecule. It doesn't react with anything else at body temperature, so it won't have any chemical effect inside your body, nor will it change into anything that will. The worst it might do is swell up to block something, which might be a major problem if you swallowed or inhaled a large amount of powder, but it's very unlikely to go far enough up your urethra to actually block it, much less get to your actual bladder and swell enough not to come out again. Obviously, if you did find yourself having trouble peeing, then maybe go to the doctor, but such a thing seems very unlikely to occur, if not near impossible (I've never heard of it happening, and with all the diaper wearers in all the world, the possibility must have been well tested by now. Anything that went up would almost certainly flush back out again with the next wee - the more expanded the beads are, the more jellylike, lubricated and easy to pass they would be). Anything in your rectum or vagina would have enough space to expand however it wanted, and just come out again by itself eventually.  

Here is a link to the 'Material Safety Data Sheet' from Wikipedia, which is a standard thing to show the risks of any chemical. It may set your mind at ease to see all the zeros! https://www.howtor.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Sodium-Polyacrylate-MSDS-Material-Safety-Data-Sheet-issued-by-SGS.pdf

TLDR: You don't have to worry about absorbent diaper gel any more than you would about expandable bits of soft plastic. I wouldn't stick it up there on purpose, but sitting in a little bit isn't going to have any likely effects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, R682 said:

The chemical in diapers which absorbs water to become gel beads is sodium polyacrylate (or some close equivalent), which is a non-biodegradable (doesn't naturally break down into anything else) complex polymer, comparable to a plastic molecule. It doesn't react with anything else at body temperature, so it won't have any chemical effect inside your body, nor will it change into anything that will. The worst it might do is swell up to block something, which might be a major problem if you swallowed or inhaled a large amount of powder, but it's very unlikely to go far enough up your urethra to actually block it, much less get to your actual bladder and swell enough not to come out again. Obviously, if you did find yourself having trouble peeing, then maybe go to the doctor, but such a thing seems very unlikely to occur, if not near impossible (I've never heard of it happening, and with all the diaper wearers in all the world, the possibility must have been well tested by now. Anything that went up would almost certainly flush back out again with the next wee - the more expanded the beads are, the more jellylike, lubricated and easy to pass they would be). Anything in your rectum or vagina would have enough space to expand however it wanted, and just come out again by itself eventually.  

Here is a link to the 'Material Safety Data Sheet' from Wikipedia, which is a standard thing to show the risks of any chemical. It may set your mind at ease to see all the zeros! https://www.howtor.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Sodium-Polyacrylate-MSDS-Material-Safety-Data-Sheet-issued-by-SGS.pdf

TLDR: You don't have to worry about absorbent diaper gel any more than you would about expandable bits of soft plastic. I wouldn't stick it up there on purpose, but sitting in a little bit isn't going to have any likely effects.

thank you captain science pants.. lol j/k

:baby-waving-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon: