• Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Athiest
    • Agnostic
    • Indigenous
    • Alternative
    • Other/no opinion

On 4/5/2018 at 5:11 AM, Brudda Voodu said:

I am a devout servant to the faith of Aghori.

Would you be willing to explain what your beliefs as an Aghori are, if that's ok with you?

On 4/8/2018 at 3:46 PM, LittleAmytheil said:

I'm a little of everything, so I guess I fall into the 'other' catagory.

Roman Catholic by birth, non-denominational as a young adult, and commonly mistaken for Jewish for my large knowledge and respect on common religions where I work.  (I'm in charge of seasonal and items relating to Holidays, thus I often know when Passover, Easter, and Ramadan occur).  My two partners are also Atheist and Jewish respectfully, so I follow a bit of each.

I also know a little bit about all the major world religions, plus a little bit about some indigenous ones as well.  Nice to see that someone else keeps an open mind about religion as well.

I'm a pagan. I believe in many gods and the spirits of the earth watching over, guiding, and protecting us. My brother is the moon. I've known him since I was little and the night is my friend. My personal beliefs system is that all the gods of the old religions are connected and rule us all in a fuedal type system with the specific gods of that pantheon being regents of sorts over parts of the earth but ultimately have total power while one God the creator rules them all.

• Like 1

Pentecostal Christian here. Literal belief in the Bible and its infallibility. Probably disagree with many people. but happy to debate it Biblically. If it is a debate on opinion, then I'm not interested. I've always been on the position that if God says it, then that's it. We dont have the right to disagree with what he has clearly said.

Rosalie, I highly recommend to to you this book. It is written by a Pentecostal-raised leading New Testament scholar, whose lifelong study of the Bible from within the church has led him to become an agnostic.

What he shares in the book is based on 150 years of study by Christians, for Christians on what is known about when, why, and by whom each part of the Bible was written.

This is not particularly controversial knowledge (lots of debate about details and strong evidence for the overall conclusions). He begins the book by saying this is likely what was taught to most ministers, who do not have the courage or the skills to share it with fundamentalists in their congregations, and so they keep silent. 

He is your age, educated at the Moody Bible Institute and Princeton, and currently teaching in North Carolina. He's the author of 30 books, others of which also relate to this subject, in masterly and fascinating detail.

https://www.amazon.ca/Jesus-Interrupted-Revealing-Hidden-Contradictions/dp/0061173940

• Like 1

An atheist but that does not mean that I don t respect other peoples believes,I think religion is something personal so what you think is the right path might not be the right path for others.

I'm a Buddhist of the Soto Zen school. I was raised in a nominally Jewish household, more cultural than religious. I started seriously exploring religions in my teens, and theology is still one of my favourite topics of study. For those above discussing the 'body and the blood' the transubstantiation is a wonderfully knotty topic but this isn't the time or place. I eventually found that Buddhist cosmology fits my world view best. I've long considered joining a monastic order but I'm not sure how my gender would affect things. 

For those who don't know about the various forms of Zen Buddhism, the Soto school was founded by Dōgen in the thirtieth century, after studying in China with a number of Chen Masters, Chen is the Chinese form of Zen, the distinction is important for separating the schools, who's teachings form the back bone of the school's teachings and is where most of the famous Koans come from, "what is the sound of one hand clapping" and all that. Though the most important teaching of the school, which is why I eventually chose it, is the zazen. While it is a part of all the forms of Buddhism, simply meaning seated meditation. Dōgen's great teaching is "just sit". This is so important because it cuts to the heart of Buddhist philosophy, the Buddhaself is innate in everyone, but we allow the world to distract us. But if we just sit, be in the moment, perhaps we can see the beauty in everything.   

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

We should be careful of threads like this one because it can cause problems especially if someone misunderstands someone else's religion like what happened above, and it can lead to antics such as in Old England around the Colonial times.

"My father can whip your father"

"All you Deos stay off of the gra-ass."

This is exactly the kind of argument that can start if we are not careful to respect each other.  Regardless of what our heart feels is true, I don't believe this is the place to discuss any teachings in depth because for any real communication of the truth of God, there has to be the right atmosphere or spirit, so that the "Holy (Ghost) Spirit" or whatever else you might call it for your own religion or sect of Christian religion to actually work.  This is a secular site meant to explore a fetish, that while I don't believe is strictly against anything in the Bible or against God, it is not a religious space and not meant as one.

This is just my opinion, so please don't think I mean to argue anything by it.  I really don't.

I respect everyone.

"Love thy Neighbor as Ye love thyself!"

That was the second most important commandment that Jesus gave.

Buddha, if I understand it right, has teachings along the same lines.  Most all (Godly) religions have some form of Loving your brother in it, in my opinion.  Again, that's just my opinion.  Don't think I want to start a war over it.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Ishigreensa said:

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

We should be careful of threads like this one because it can cause problems especially if someone misunderstands someone else's religion like what happened above, and it can lead to antics such as in Old England around the Colonial times.

"My father can whip your father"

"All you Deos stay off of the gra-ass."

This is exactly the kind of argument that can start if we are not careful to respect each other.  Regardless of what our heart feels is true, I don't believe this is the place to discuss any teachings in depth because for any real communication of the truth of God, there has to be the right atmosphere or spirit, so that the "Holy (Ghost) Spirit" or whatever else you might call it for your own religion or sect of Christian religion to actually work.  This is a secular site meant to explore a fetish, that while I don't believe is strictly against anything in the Bible or against God, it is not a religious space and not meant as one.

This is just my opinion, so please don't think I mean to argue anything by it.  I really don't.

I respect everyone.

"Love thy Neighbor as Ye love thyself!"

That was the second most important commandment that Jesus gave.

Buddha, if I understand it right, has teachings along the same lines.  Most all (Godly) religions have some form of Loving your brother in it, in my opinion.  Again, that's just my opinion.  Don't think I want to start a war over it.

You make a good point there.  However, in my personal opinion, God (or the equivalent in other religions), would be understanding of personal matters such as abdl as long as people do their best to not let it interfere.  (For example, a Muslim making sure that they are clean before praying.)  But then again, I'm not an expert on world religions.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm Agnostic with sympathies towards Buddhism, Christian Gnosticism (Neoplatonism) & some elements of paganism.
I was brought up as Church of England but rebelled against it in my adolescence for being hypocritical becoming an Athiest.
As I grew older  I began to realize life has a spiritual dimension, with lots going on below the surface, & started to feel Atheism (at least in its more dogmatic forms) was inadequate in coming to terms with my ' human condition'.
These days I'm Spiritual but not Religious. I still tend to regard organized religions with suspicion & see them as being manipulative & controlling but recognize there's more to life than meets the eye.

I am basically Protestant Christian in my beliefs, but follow nobody's doctrines except my own which came from me doing my own learning after finding glaring flaws in everyone else's teachings. I have also integrated some other teachings which my chosen religion did not address. 

Bettypooh

Christian, and more accurately Of the United Memorial Sect of the Protestant denomination. My Reverend was always keen on teaching us about love, compassion, and understanding. 

On 7/7/2018 at 8:21 AM, Bettypooh said:

I am basically Protestant Christian in my beliefs, but follow nobody's doctrines except my own which came from me doing my own learning after finding glaring flaws in everyone else's teachings. I have also integrated some other teachings which my chosen religion did not address. 

Bettypooh

So basically non-denominational?

1 hour ago, swinginpendulum said:

Newly Catholic. Although the state of the church is regrettable, I don't think any other church out there holds the presence of Christ more legitimately and simply than the Catholic church. OG Christianity for 1500 years!

I agree.  Have you recieved your confirmation and everything?

Atheist. Always have been despite attending Sunday school as a child and being present at several churches growing up. Not to mention being kicked out of them. It's cost me friends and family, but so have a number of my world views. It cost me a broken arm at one point along with several other physical assaults. To this day, I'm looking over my shoulder no matter where I am, but that just seems to be part of it. The fact that I'm a lesbian likely doesn't help, either. If I had the money, I'd move to a more atheist friendly country, but, for the time being, I'm stuck in the US.

Cheers!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, alissaK said:

Atheist. Always have been despite attending Sunday school as a child and being present at several churches growing up. Not to mention being kicked out of them. It's cost me friends and family, but so have a number of my world views. It cost me a broken arm at one point along with several other physical assaults. To this day, I'm looking over my shoulder no matter where I am, but that just seems to be part of it. The fact that I'm a lesbian likely doesn't help, either. If I had the money, I'd move to a more atheist friendly country, but, for the time being, I'm stuck in the US.

Cheers!

That's terrible that people would do that to you.  Anyone who believes in that (physical assault against 'non-believers') is not a true christian.

• Like 1