LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Children's television and movies

nenog613

Kid's television and movies  

61 members have voted

1. 1. When watching shows or television created for kids, do you prefer watching stuff you grew up with or new programming

• Shows/movies I grew up with
    • Shows/movies that are current

just curious

me myself, i can't get into any current kids shows. like i'll flip by and think "that sucks" or "that's not that bad", but keep on going because i'm not the intended audience. however i have no problem watching i stuff grew up on no matter what age its intended for

• Like 1

Same as you. Kids stuff now is nothing like what was on when I was a kid. The stuff that was on when I was a kid was much more innocent & to me it is nostalgic.

I'm picky when it comes to new stuff. All the "I want to be famous" kids shows are just sad... and most live action kids shows suck, but there are some cartoons I really enjoy (Amazing world of Gumball, Fox sunday lineup) and I like "family" movies where the movie maker treats the audience as intelligent enough for real characters and deeper story lines.

When I was a kid, there were great shows and stupid ones!  Back then there were TV hosts that would have a show and interact between showing cartoons.  Garfield Goose in Chicago http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0322367/  Ray Rayner also in Chicago http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397006/  Captain Kangaroo http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047718/ and of course, Bozo Circus from Chicago http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0254011/  You had shows like Kukla Fran and Ollie  back then and Saturday mornings were always Bugs Bunny cartoons, maybe The Adventures Of Superman or Roy Rogers.  Rocky and Bullwinkle as well.  Many of those old shows had adult appeal as well as some hidden inside humor was above the understanding of many kids.  Unfortunatly, the powers that be determined in their infinate wisdom that many cartoons were too violent for kids and so they were either edited or removed completely.  I always wondered where the average 7 year old was going to buy a keg of explosives to bomb the neighbor kid, or an exploding rocket to fire at the local Road Runners in their sub division.  Such was the beginning of the end of Bugs Bunny on the 3 available network television channels we had long before cable TV.  Of course, now no one thinks anything about the TV shows kids watch with teens getting pregnant, violent shows and movies where people get killed all the time and the sexual inuendo's on prime time TV shows (Two Broke Girls especially).  With all that violence I can't help wonder why so many people can't understand how a teenager can pick up an assault rifle and kill his classmates!

Naturally, people get older and the hosts of these children shows like Captain Kangaroo, Garfield Goose, Bozo, Roy Rogers and others retire or pass away.  I re,member what I considered very stupid shows like H.R. Puffnstuff!  Just the memory of that show makes me want to puke!  When I thought all was lost, the saving grace came along in 1969!  Scooby Doo!  Even today it lives on!  The first 2 or 3 seasons were great, but even then they had to dumb it up later with the characters "Scrappy Doo" and "Scooby Dum" .  What a great show though!  There is something to be said for being a kid in the 1960's!

I like the old stuff, I grew up with. Rusty Pins named a few I’m down with, I’m a Warner Brother, Loony Toons worshiper. There were so many, but I think Warner has to top the list. In the New York Metro area, we had Captain Jack Mccarthy, Chuck McCann, Bozo, Sonny Fox, Bob McAllister, all kid show host, there were plenty of others as well. 

As Rusy Pins mentioned, along came Sid and Marty Krofft, and they made some real funky stuff. Who remembers The Bugaloos? That stuff was so bad, it was good! LOL. 

Hmmm. I watch a lot of shows on Netflix that are not current but that I also didn't watch while growing up.

As far as kids' shows and movies, I like some of the Disney movies coming out these days (like Sing, not like Frozen), but I prefer old school cartoons. I'm still pretty bummed nearly every cartoon today is computer animated. A computer animated Charlie Brown? Charlie Brown should not be shiny. He lives in a dark world of his own self-loathing, best drawn by hand.

• 3 weeks later...

I will still watch the occasional new disney movie but for shows I always watch the shows I grew up with like scooby doo, tom&jerry, rugrats, etc.

• Like 1

You really need a "both" option. I grew up in the 90s, so - on average - the animated kids content made nowadays is just as good as the stuff that was being made almost 30 years ago.

Man, I wish I had the option for both, but that would be too easy! 

I don’t watch many kid shows from my childhood, but I certainly do watch movies from then. I’ll see some of the new kids stuff, depending on how good it is and if it interests me. The only show I really watch from this era is My Little Pony, but I did watch all of Gravity Falls, if that counts at all.

I once read many years ago that one reason half hour animated shows can be made each week is due to the number of cells produced for each show.  For example, compare Scooby Doo from the 1970's to Bugs Bunny from the 1940's and 1950's.  For every 6 animation cells for a Bugs Bunny cartoon, shows in the 70's and 80's like Scooby Doo would have only 2 cells.  Good enough and quicker and cheaper to produce, but you can tell the difference if you really watch them.

Part of the charm of Rocky & Bullwinkle and the other shows by Alexander & Scott was the cheesy animation. This started wit Ruff & Reddy in the late 1960's and even the late mid-50's FELIX THE CAT by Trans-Lux and the sinilar timeframe Popeye animation whas pretty low end. It workded will with THE JETSONS as it, and the futuristic art made it somewhat surreal. On the other hand the quality of the original FLINTSONTES was much higher as it was going prime-time. From the 1980's ROBOTECH, SPEED RACER, VOLTRON , STARBLAZERS and THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS were quite good though the VLOTRON plots were pretty bad, and FORCE FIVE was a bit tacky as was, sadly, THUNDERCATS (I tried to like it: Hey; it was CATS!). HE-MAN was better plot and characters than animation. I liked TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES in a comical way and MASK (Mobile Aremored Strike Kommand) had some nifty gatgets but the plots were kinda chintzy. Same old VENOM, got tired quickly. Two of the more fascinationg ideas were SECTAURS and ZONE-RIDERS. I preferred GO-BOTS to TRANSFOMRERS as the latter was too ponderous in story telling and I liked the Go-Bots better, though both suffered from "same old same old" for adversaries

Yep; I wished there was an All of the Above option too haha, but I voted for shows I watched as a kid of course. 

Barney & Friends, Sesame Street, Teletubbies, Curious George, Winnie the Pooh, Clifford the Big Red Dog, Rugrats, George Shrinks, Dragon Tales, Blue's Clues, Scooby-Doo, Mister Roger's Neighborhood, Arthur & Friends, Garfield & Friends, Zoboomafoo, Reading Between the Lions, and many others I'm sure haha; Veggie Tales at Sunday School. XD Then there were the less babyish shows of the 90s such as Pokemon, (and every spin off lol) Batman the Animated Series, Samurai Jack, Superman the Animated Series, Spongebob Squarepants, Dexter's Laboratory, Cow & Chicken, Ed, Edd & Eddy, Hey Arnold, Doug, Recess, Spider-Man the Animated Series, Justice League, Teen Titans, Power Rangers, and many others I'm probably forgetting that I'd kick myself for forgetting lol. 

I like some of the newer stuff too though; PJ Masks, Paw Patrol, Bubble Guppies, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse....and I guess I watch more of the new kids movies rather than TV shows lol. Movies like Up, Over the Hedge, Madagascar, Zootopia, The Secret Life of Pets, Rio, Boss Baby, Sing, the Croods, etc. I've also seen Tangled, Frozen, Brave, all the TV adaptations of them, as well as Sofia the First, My Little Pony, Barbie movies and tv shows, in addition to Vampirina, Dora the Explorer, and just about every single firggin Disney Princess movie or TV show you could possibly think of! ....I have two little nieces; ages 2 and 5. They MADE me watch those ones, the little monsters lol. XD

PS: I also of course love the classics like the Flintstones, Jetsons, Loony Toons, Popeye, and many others haha. 

• 2 weeks later...

Voted for the first one, but when it comes to movies its a toss up between the 2, I love Disney, Pixar and Dreamworks films, and collect them, but I also like many older films, mostly Disney. As far as cartoons go, old ones (Discounting anime, I love all anime), this subject we've mentioned before and my old cartoon favorites are Hanna&Barbara cartoons, Warner Bros., Disney (Gummi Bears, Tail Spin, Duck Tales,Rescue Rangers), Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato), M.A.S.K., Transformers, and many others. More recent kids cartoons tend to be horrible, with a few exceptions such as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, yes, I admit it, I like that one, watched it with my niece, but when it comes to newer animation I stick to Anime.

• 5 weeks later...

I really despise the extra "kid-sized" way a lot of shows are made today. Then again, maybe they were also that way in the past. That said, a lot of the shows I grew up with were actually simply "considered" kid shows, which doesn't mean none were, but it does mean they weren't to a full extent, at least to my understanding. A lot of them were things like Card-captor Sakura and Digimon (which was intended as a giant commercial, but the writing was actually taken more seriously than some current "adult" movies...). So either by the real quality I can now appreciate or due to nostalgia goggles, I am still truly attached to those shows I grew up with, and those are the ones I would watch.