LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

How can I avoid leaks sleeping on my side?

I've been wearing most of the time during the day for a long time, but I don't often get the chance to wear at night - only when my wife's away.  I'm aiming to start wearing at night full-time soon, either together or separate beds if she prefers that.  I can wet lying on my back - not easily but after a night or two it's easier & I'm confident that'll get easier.  But, I generally sleep on my side, & if I wet then, I tend to get leaks.  That's not good, & the worry means it's difficult to relax to wet anyway.  So, I need some advice please, on what nappies work for other side-sleepers.  I suspect cloth nappies tend to be better for this, but what works best?  And are there disposables that will hold for side sleeping?  I'm fairly slim btw, & usually use Molicare plastic-backed nappies during the day at the moment.  What works for you?

I would recommend to try diapers designed for ABDLs - for example Rearz, ABU or Bambino. They are way better than conventional adult diapers. I am very satisfied with them during night time. :-)

• Like 1

I'm a side sleeper and I have zero bladder control. I have been wearing cloth prefolds covered with plastic pants for many years. I sleep leak free. I used to wear disposables to bed but they all leaked no matter which brand I tried. I started wearing a pair of terrycloth pants over the disposables covered with plastic pants. I still ended up having to wash the terrycloth pants every morning. I can't do long periods wearing disposables as I end up getting nasty rashes from wearing them. I seldom get a rash from wearing cloth diapers. I only wear disposables when I am traveling out of town for a few days. I wear two disposables covered by plastic pants. The rest of the time I wear cloth with plastic pants. They offer me the best protection available. 

I am a side sleeper when I sleep and use cloth,and rubber bloomers ,the reasoning behind this is with disposables if it gets past your diaper even with an over pant it's going to trouble , cloth diapers are absorbent everywhere so even if your diaper doesn't catch it the first time whatever type of waterproof pant you wear will contain it and be absorbed .

ABDL diapers help in that they are more absorbent and have better wings , but doesn't completely solve the issue the way cloth will,good ABDL diapers are also expensive and don't solve the issue completely ,for about the cost of three cases of ABDL diapers you can have cloth for the next 15 years .

You can never absolutely 100% end leaks you just have to accept that, as an IC because i wear diapers my bed and furniture does also,so in case my disapering or diapers fail i have a backup, I sleep on a bed pad and have special sheets that have a virtually undetectable waterproof membrane sandwiched between the 2 sides so my back up has a backup of its own ,just accepting they happen occasionaly is part of a diapered life ,but being prepared for when they do happen is important.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'd be fascinated to hear how you've gone with THAT marital negotiation?

Anyway, to answer your question (as a side-sleeper but merely intermittent overnight nappy wearer): for me it's cloth or washing the sheets.  The solution that soggy bottom boy highlighted (terry-lined waterproof pants over a disposable) has also worked for me but I found it less reliable than simply wearing a thick cloth nappy (Babykins pull-ups with twin layer terry booster pants) and also somewhat the worst of both world (throwing out disposables AND washing wet terry pants).

I once had the opportunity of spending two months wearing every night when I was away from my wife for work reasons.  Towards the end, I had one or two incidents whereby I dreamed my way through nocturnal urination.  It seemed to me that the risk of becoming a bedwetter via habituation is quite real so you might need to plan for that too.

This is a problem all side sleepers face. I have tried a few disposables and have yet to find one that works when I sleep on my side, I have used pillows to stop me rolling over during sleep also. As I have spinal injuries and sleep on a hospital bed leaks are not really a disaster as the bed is fully leak proofed. Moving the bed to a sitting position is the only way round this problem. Or as many say use a terry pad with waterproof pants.

1, Put on a good disposable.

2, Wrap a terry nappy or towel round waist.

3, Add waterproof pants.

stevewet:  I just rely on mattress protection and don't worry about leaks. 

That obviously is fine for you, but the original post is about the fellow finding diapers that will work and not leak for a side sleeper.  QUOTE: " But, I generally sleep on my side, & if I wet then, I tend to get leaks.  That's not good, & the worry means it's difficult to relax to wet anyway.  So, I need some advice please, on what nappies work for other side-sleepers.  I suspect cloth nappies tend to be better for this, but what works best?  And are there disposables that will hold for side sleeping?"  No offence, but if he wanted to leak all over and just rely on a mattress protector he wouldn't be asking and posting these questions.

I've been wearing most of the time during the day for a long time, but I don't often get the chance to wear at night - only when my wife's away.  I'm aiming to start wearing at night full-time soon, either together or separate beds if she prefers that.  I can wet lying on my back - not easily but after a night or two it's easier & I'm confident that'll get easier.  But, I generally sleep on my side, & if I wet then, I tend to get leaks.  That's not good, & the worry means it's difficult to relax to wet anyway.  So, I need some advice please, on what nappies work for other side-sleepers.  I suspect cloth nappies tend to be better for this, but what works best?  And are there disposables that will hold for side sleeping?  I'm fairly slim btw, & usually use Molicare plastic-backed nappies during the day at the moment.  What works for you?

http://www.babykins.com/store/terry-lined-plastic-pants/

OK thanks very much to all of you.  I think I'll try out disposable/terry pullups/separate pants over the top & see how I get on.  Arizona Care (UK-based despite the name) sell cheap terry pullups so I'll try some of them - their polyurethane pants are great & have been my pants of choice for years.  Keeping the terry & waterproofs separate seems a good move to me as the terry should be quicker to dry.  I can always switch to cloth nappies later.  And no, I've no idea how far I'll get with this while still keeping my other half on side, but I've got to try.  And I need a solution for when I'm on my own overnight anyway.

Let me just say an M 1 would be like try use an alcohol wipe for me ?

Babywear what mattress are you using ? I have an Invacare Tempurpedic mattress that they don't make any more , so I have to find a new mattress, I got ten years out of it but it's not doing the job I need it to do, so I am open to suggestions , this mattress was a dream come true because it had a built in bumper and grab points so I didn't have to use rails because they don't make pads for the rails on this one, so I think I might have to get an entirely new bed and mattress because if I use rails they have to be padded because i am epileptic.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

As many others mentioned... Cloth. Before I moved (or, really, was moved) to cloth, leaks were a weekly, at least, occurrence, with occasional really bad floods.  Once I figured out how to use cloth properly, leaks are very, very rare, and if they do occur it is often because the plastic pant had a hole or something. 

I usually use a night weight prefold, with a baby diaper up front as a soaker.  If I've had a few beers, I might add a second baby diaper horizontally across my stomach, which acts as a great backstop when I sleep on my front or side.

• 1 month later...

Four words; cloth diapers rubber panties. I can count the leaks in 35 years on my fingers and one foot, and those only because I overdid it

I am a side sleeper and I wear disposables at night with very few problems.  I think because I sleep on my side but rolled over to be more on my stomach.  This forces the flow more into the baby diaper stuffer and distributed into my main diaper.  Any seepage is caught by my plastic pants.

I gave up worrying about leaks from my nappies ages ago. Our bed is well protected. I pee a lot while asleep and often my nappies and plastic pants can't stem the flow. Having a washable bed pad keeps things warm so the wetness doesn't wake me.

Yes, leaks don't bother you after all these years (as you said earlier in this thread), but Stroller is bothered by them and wants ways to avoid them.  Lots of good advice here.  Aside from premium disposable diapers and stuffers, often times plastic pants will help over a disposable depending on how large or small your leaks are.  Disposable diapers used to have side padding back in the 1980's, but now they mostly do not.  Even if they did, the nature of disposables will tend for them to leak quicker than a cloth diaper.  Some people will wear a disposable diaper with a cloth diaper and plastic pants over it to absorb any leaks they have, or even cloth lined plastic pants.  For side sleepers leaking at night while sleeping in disposable diapers is a problem.

25 minutes ago, stevewet said:

I gave up worrying about leaks from my nappies ages ago. Our bed is well protected. I pee a lot while asleep and often my nappies and plastic pants can't stem the flow. Having a washable bed pad keeps things warm so the wetness doesn't wake me.

I use disposables, with layers, and I only leak on heavy nights. but my bet is well protected. I do place a towel under my and sometimes it is damp.

Hi All,

I've found wearing a good (ABDL) disposable with a toddler prefold as a soaker works great for side-sleeping. The cloth seems to do a great job of wicking into the rear of the diaper, even on my side!

I sleep somewhat on my side, 1 leg straight and 1 leg bent and have yet to leak

Somewhat like the "Recovery Position"

Always use premium diapers, mostly Tena Slip Ultima now

I wear an Abina M4 with and a terry lined plastic diaper cover over the top to bed. I've never had a leak and I'm a heavy wetter and side sleeper. My bed has a plastic mattress cover just in case.

15 hours ago, nappylover78 said:

I just roll over onto my back to "use the facilities" then go back to sleep... certainly a lot easier than getting up to use the toilet anyway ;)

That would work great if you wake up in bed needing to pee, but if you are sleeping on your side and just pee without waking up, you are still going to leak.

On 5/16/2018 at 6:48 AM, rusty pins said:

That would work great if you wake up in bed needing to pee, but if you are sleeping on your side and just pee without waking up, you are still going to leak.

Yeah, exactly!  If only I could just wake up and use the diaper 'properly' so there were no leaks... but if I had that choice then I'd just stop wetting and not need the diaper!  :)

So, I said it above, but... leaks always happen, so protect the bed, but cloth diapers folded and positioned in a way that works for you will substantially reduce the risk in a way I've never been able to achieve with disposables.