• Autism
    • Aspergers
    • ADHD
    • Anxiety
    • Major Depressive Disorder
    • Eating disorder
    • Other Mental Health
    • None

And that is the very reason I posted my response.  Medication may well be required to keep people from harming themselves and others.  Only a trained doctor who examined the paitent is qualified to make those decisions and we shouldn't question them.   "For others with much more serious issues, medication may be the only way to keep them from doing harm to themselves or other people.  We read so many times about someone who has killed someone, kids, wife, strangers because they went off their anti psychotic meds.  While it's true doctors prescribe medications based on an individual and their specific problems, unless we are doctors ourselves with a strong background in mental health issues and have specific study and knowledge of an individual's problems and history, we should not be quick to condemn any doctor for prescribing medications that help someone with their issues function more normally."

• Like 1

Clinical Depression keeps me from ever being bored :o My diapers do help with that somewhat, and because of a most excellent therapist I can handle the disease without Meds now ;) That was a process though, and one which I was very careful with doing because the consequences of a mistake could have been fatal :( Indeed I may one day need to resume the Meds.

If you have serious mental issues it is imperative that you get medical help and treatment. Once you are stabilized then a change of treatments (including Meds) is something which can be entertained but not until then. My oldest friend will never see freedom again because he would sometimes stop taking his Meds which resulted in him doing stupid things he normally wouldn't have done :crybaby: He can't be trusted to not hurt himself or someone else without being in an environment with that kind of control over him. It's forever for him now and all because he didn't take his Meds. I know a few others like that too.

If diapers help you cope then accept the good which is found in them B) But also accept that you may need more than that and if so then accept that too :thumbsup:

Bettypooh

Diagnosed with Partial agenesis of the corpus callosum:

Individuals with ACC have difficulty transferring more complex information from one hemisphere to the other

Bipolar and anxiety during high school. I didn't think about this until last year but a friend seemed to think I had autism based on my behavior, so last year I decided to get over my fear of being labeled and see someone about it. In school I was told a few times by teachers that I might have a learning disorder, but that stopped when I started middle school and people just thought I was weird. I let it go for so many years, and no one ever offered help or thought there was any deeper problem. But I can't blame all my social and school problems on my mental health alone. I made several mistakes but I've slowly learned how to adapt and function as an adult, which hasn't been easy after two break downs in my first years of college. It's taking me longer to work on my degree than other people, but I want to see it through to prove I can be successful too, even if it does take more time and accepting that I can't focus on as many things at a time as other people. 

No known or suspected issues here.

Interesting topic though.  I wonder if being ABDL is more common with people who have some type of diagnosed mental health issue, or if it is just this website?  Because the rates in the survey are higher than in the general population I believe. Regardless, I'm impressed with everyone's openness and honesty and I commend all of those who are doing what is necessary to manage their diagnosis.

:-)

I've not been diagnosed with anything other than anxiety - which I take meds for - but I know I have a bit of OCD and ADHD, my son was diagnosed with fringe Asperger's.  Reading about that made me realize the common traits.  It wasn't until having children - and living in this century - that I came to have any idea that things I struggled with my whole life had a name.

Diapers are definitely calming for me.  They're not an everyday thing and while I'd like to wear more often, the time between only makes me like them more.  This is alot better than hating myself after wearing, and throwing all my diapers and girls clothes away ;_<

Before diapers, it was dressing femme, which was so therapeutic.  I lived in NYC at the time, which was very liberating, because no one gives a fuck, lol!  Being a parent in the burbs, that became more of a problem - my wife noticed and made me stop.  Diapers took the place of wearing panties and leggings, though I have recently gotten back into leggings - either under my clothes or around the house,  I'm just more comfortable and calm.

We are lucky - despite the orange bastard in the white house - that people are slowly gaining more freedom to be who they want to be.  At work today, I was watching youtube vids of transgender kids and, even with all the challenges, how lucky they are to have been born in this century.  

I was four when I first wore girl's panties - due to a wetting accident away from home - and my mom kept them in my underwear drawer and I wore them as they cycled through.  I was too young to understand beyond how they made me feel.  I was just comfortable in them.

I hope this isn't too off topic...

I get depression periodically, but I learned a long time ago how to deal with it.  I just hunker down with no responsibilities for a wek or two & it always goes away again.  That's easier since I retired from work - no need to make up an illness to explain my time off work.  It's never been bad enough to cause me serious problems - the worst was when it happened in the middle of big project responsibilities at work.  I tried antidepressants once - and never again, as that was horrible.  I'm lucky the depression's never been really bad.  My sister's a manic depressive & has been in & out of hospitals many times.

Also, mild (high functioning) Asberger's, but again I've always managed that OK too.  I used to find it impossible to understand the effect I had on other people, & that got me into a fair few scrapes when I was younger.  Most people just do this automatically, but I had to learn the hard way.  I think about other people a lot these days, do voluntary work etc.  Learning the hard way about how to appreciate other people's feelings meant I now attach a lot of importance to it, value other people perhaps more than if I didn't have the Asberger's at all.  I didn;t know anything about Asberger's & autism until I met my wife 20 years ago, but she's an expert (professionally), & knows one when she sees one!

On 2/28/2018 at 4:13 PM, punk18 said:

Abdl is very beneficial. By wearing and regressing you alleviate your mind and let it relax to a lower state like when you were younger. Society would rather prescribe drugs but we have our diapers! ; ) haha

On 3/1/2018 at 12:11 AM, KinsyInRibbons said:

I need to comment here. This is a dangerous statement. I use diapers, and use they do help me manage my anxiety and PTSD. Without my meds though, I would not be able to function, and I know this for a fact because I have lived without my meds. I can not function without them. Many people with mental health issues, like any other medical condition, often times can not function without the medications or treatments required.

I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder about 1 year ago. I wasn't surprised but I really expecting such a diagnosis either. About 6 years ago I had a consular say I was extremely introvert. That was the first I ever heard of such a thing. That got me doing some research. During that I read that ASD has similarities to introvertism. With the others problems I have, I kind of wondered if that's what it was. I isn't really interested in talking to a mental health pro about it though. Over the past few years, I've tried taking some college classes. I noticed I had extreme difficulty with assignments involving writing such as essays. That problem was nothing new since I've had difficulty with a lot of things involving writing for numerous years. I finally decided to talk to someone about it last year. They did all kinds of tests and asks all kinds of questions. The diagnosis does answer a lot of questions about past events in my life and why I do some things or feel the way I do. 

Going into little mode helps me a lot. I kind of wonder if this part of me has something to do with having ASD. I've always wanted to have stuffies, wear diapers, and do other little type stuff even when I was a kid. I deal with it the best I can. There are what I would call "tantrums" on a rare occasion. I can kind of tell when they are coming and do what I can to prevent them.

I voted other since I believe autism and aspergers are grouped under ASD now.

While I'm all for good diagnostics and people being helped, with my age I've also seen another side of this where such things were not well known, were not diagnosed, and were not directly treated in most people. It may not have not worked out well for everyone but most affected people found ways to live with and through their issues even if they didn't have a name :)

Now there's a name for everything, and it sometimes seems to me that if you looked deep enough into everybody there would be nobody without some kind of mental disorder :o I'm not trying to demean anyone- I have my problems too- but it all makes me wonder when they will finally come to realize that a lot of this is simply human nature and 'normal' instead of a disorder ;) I think a lot of this is just human diversity- we're all different and we all see and think in different ways :D There's nothing wrong with that at all, but when you call it a disorder that is going to affect the diagnosed adversely which can make things even worse :angry: It might be better to create a different grouping name, like "tendency" or something, which would better describe what a lot of these things are.

I came to this conclusion in dealing with my own past alcohol and drug use. The usual assistance programs like AA and NA try to make you think you're an addict forever, even after you've stopped using, and it seems this approach has leaked over into the mental health field as well. I will always have a tendency to use addictive substances but I'm not an addict anymore and I never will be ever again. I've overcome my problem; I'm a winner. But those programs and the so-called 'disorders' will not let you have that win :( It's like they want you to stop right there and go no further in life, a concept I totally disagree with :rant:

We may always have our issues and tendencies- understanding them and proper treatments can and do help- but let's also see that we can win our battles and that we're not much different than anyone else when you get right down to it. Everyone is weird, we're all just weird in different ways and that is how it is supposed to be :girl_happy:

Bettypooh

• 3 weeks later...

maybe a little self diagnosed anxiety and panic attacks for sure.  Not sure of any official mental health though talking to therapists was the norm for about decade after my burns.

• 3 weeks later...