LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Increasing a Disposable's Absorbancy

Hi,

I know for some of us, the holy grail of a disposable diaper is cute prints. Then there are those who are more interested in a disposable's capacity. After all, the more it will absorb, the less the likelihood of leaks. And the longer you can wear the thing without needing a change from too much wetting.

We know it's the super-absorbent polymer (SAP) that soaks up the pee and locks it into a gel. Probably why Pampers can seeming absorb huge amounts for their sizes.

SAP is a relatively standard product can be purchased online. It's not that expensive depending on where you buy it. Amazon even has it, although there are other businesses that sell the stuff in various crystal sizes and quantities. You want the really fine crystals. Some people use them to make the cloth "cool bandanas" you hold under the faucet and then put around your neck to stay cool in the summer.

You can also pull the plastic backing away from the stay-dry layer at the top of a disposable diaper exposing the fluff and SAP that is in there. What about putting a couple more teaspoons of SAP in the front to boost absorbency? Assuming it's the same product already in the disposable, it should be safe for the skin. Then just fold the top part of the plastic backing over and your capacity just went up.

Having said that, someone will probably get carried away and put so much SAP in their diaper that it will be able to hold a gallon or more and it will look like they have a basketball in the front of their jeans when it hits capacity.

Just a thought...

Bob

My blog under development: http://ourbedwettingfun.com/

Edited by Your Wet Friend
spelling error

But don't you have to make a hole into the diaper to put more SAP there? (Yes, the hole from inside, but still).  I have very good experience with booster pads to increase capacity. :-)

6 hours ago, Firzen said:

But don't you have to make a hole into the diaper to put more SAP there? (Yes, the hole from inside, but still).  I have very good experience with booster pads to increase capacity. :-)

You are right. A tear a the top of the "stay dry" liner on the inside / front. Shovel a few spoons of SAP in there. Then fold the outside backing sheet over and in as normal.

Just a thought. It seems like it's the amount of SAP that really makes the best disposables what they are? I'm no engineer.

If the booster pads are working for you great. I know some try to put a Pampers inside, but the snag is it shields part of the main adult diaper from getting wet unless you remove part of the waterproof backing of the Pampers. I don't have the patience for all that work.

Bob

You can buy higher grades of SAP which will lock away more moisture but distributing it thru the diaper would work better them everything swells proportionally. And my suggestion would be make like a quarter inch incision and then use a urinary catheter to distribute it , kind of like how liposuction is done but in reverse,with that smaller slit and even distribution you might have a winning idea.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

On 21/02/2018 at 5:12 AM, Your Wet Friend said:

If the booster pads are working for you great. I know some try to put a Pampers inside, but the snag is it shields part of the main adult diaper from getting wet unless you remove part of the waterproof backing of the Pampers. I don't have the patience for all that work.

They make booster pads without plastic backing, which let excess fluid go to the diaper. It's really absolutely great, and booster pads are very cheap. You should give it a try! ;-)

I agree booster pads can be awesome with lots less work ,I use the non backed Tranquility ,and Northshore and out of necessity I wear a double boosted Northshore about 1 a month to go to the doctors for 14 hours no leaks,what ever the liners can't handle gets passed to the diaper proper .

To make sure everything does its job I wear a high rise PUL pant with a bodystocking and onesie.

Though I would not reccomend it you could triple boost the Northshore but with 3 you run a significant risk of swamping the standing leak guards and then you have guaranteed a leak.

I use a medium brief and a large pair of boosters The large booster absorbs more than the medium and obviously for that amount of time, I will leverage every advantage I can.

2 hours ago, Firzen said:

They make booster pads without plastic backing, which let excess fluid go to the diaper. It's really absolutely great, and booster pads are very cheap. You should give it a try! ;-)

Terrific! Want to suggest a brand?  Some seem like they are all just fluff. I'm sort of convinced it's the SAP that makes the difference? I'm sure we've all seen a Pampers we used as a stuffer when it's at capacity -- swells up so much the thing almost starts to resemble a cylinder.

I've kind of had fun with the extra SAP in the front of an Abena. Some goes to the crotch area which is fine as well. The thing does get pretty huge when fully wet, even with about four teaspoons of SAP added.

Then there is the problem guys can have, especially if peeing while seated -- the front gets saturated while the bottom/back stays dry.

Bob

1 hour ago, Cruiser 03 said:

I agree booster pads can be awesome with lots less work ,I use the non backed Tranquility ,and Northshore and out of necessity I wear a double boosted Northshore about 1 a month to go to the doctors for 14 hours no leaks,what ever the liners can't handle gets passed to the diaper proper .

To make sure everything does its job I wear a high rise PUL pant with a bodystocking and onesie.

Though I would not reccomend it you could triple boost the Northshore but with 3 you run a significant risk of swamping the standing leak guards and then you have guaranteed a leak.

I use a medium brief and a large pair of boosters The large booster absorbs more than the medium and obviously for that amount of time, I will leverage every advantage I can.

So Northshore boosters are the best? Put inside what disposable diaper?

Thanks,

Bob

That's the reason for parking up,I almost always park up in my wheelchair, at night i park down were my cloth diapers are thickest,at night i wear super heavy weight nite diaper with 3 boosters,with bloomers and onesie to wrap it up . I know many who find it umfortable to park down due to erections but i seldom have them and cloth doesn't realy have the natural "give" that a disposable does so it pretty well restrains and contains .

1 hour ago, Cruiser 03 said:

That's the reason for parking up,I almost always park up in my wheelchair, at night i park down were my cloth diapers are thickest,at night i wear super heavy weight nite diaper with 3 boosters,with bloomers and onesie to wrap it up . I know many who find it umfortable to park down due to erections but i seldom have them and cloth doesn't realy have the natural "give" that a disposable does so it pretty well restrains and contains .

This site is hilarious. If more people knew how much fun all this is, the community would no doubt grow exponentially just as people wanted to be a part. (Okay, I got carried away again ... but only by a bit.)

"Parking" is a new term for this act. I don't give "parking" much thought. Perhaps I should. Anyway, to be honest, with regard to erections, with some of the meds I'm on -- how does the joke go? I'm jealous of a stiff breeze.

Bob

For us old guys we remember diapers as thick because there was no SAP.
Which translates to press out pee, and the half moons of diaper death.
Today's diapers balance the SAP and fiber ,which makes For thinner diaper going on with swollen and expanded after use .
25 years ago Attends and Depend were available every where and were thick formidable diapers.
Like when I was kid and did something wrong getting spanked was " this is going to hurt us more than you".
Between pants ,rubber pants and thick diapers it was more mental discipline than physical cause your butt was a q-tip .
My diapers were bought in 60 or 61 because i was the youngest so my brother and sister broke them in for me .

Anyway I kinda point to SAP were we went wrong and right because diapers have not been the same since. Depending on were you look at diapers from either it was revolution De evolution .

10 hours ago, Your Wet Friend said:

Terrific! Want to suggest a brand?  Some seem like they are all just fluff.

I use Lille boosters: https://www.nappiesrus.co.uk/lille-healthcare-classic-pad-maxi-pack

They are probably mostly fluff, but absorb quite a lot as well. I have tried to put them under water, and they grown maybe 4 or 5 times.

If you are looking for inexpensive boosters to add to your diapers, this.  https://www.toysrus.com/product?productId=108292126&_br_psugg_q=diaper ins  Be aware the add says they are reusable but they are disposable with an adhesive strip on the bottom to hold them in place inside your diaper.

As far as adding SAP or even any type of insert to your disposable diaper, what I have done in the past is take a few disposable diapers and at the very top in the back of the diaper, I use sissors to cut between the inner lining and the outer backing.  I cut it all the way across so I can open it up and put my hand down inside.  I can add a doubler, baby diaper or even SAP if I want to and I can add it either by putting it between the padding and the backing, or between the padding and the inner liner.  The fact that I have opened up the diaper all the way across the top back means I can put my hand and arm inside all the way to the front of the diaper if I like.  That will spread your SAP or your doubler throughout your diaper anywhere you want it, not just in one spot as if you opened a small hole and poured it in.  If you add it between the padding and inside lining, there isn't a problem.  If you add it between the padding and the backing, you may have to work your hand between the two as the padding is usually attached lightly to the backing.  Doing so will not hurt or affect the diaper.  This is what you do when finished.  Run a bead of glue, Elmer's or even Elmer's wood glue along and under the lining where you cut it open with the sissors.  Glue that seam to the backing and let it dry.  Yes, it will be a few hours before you can wear the diaper but if you prepare a few diapers ahead of time, then when you are eventually ready to put them on they will be good to go.  By gluing the lining where you cut it, the diaper will be as good as new, no filling to escape from any holes and there is no scratcy discomfort where you glued it.  Just make sure when you cut the lining at the top of the diaper, you cut it above where the padding ends, not below it or you won't have anywhere to glue it back together.  You must glue the inner lining to the outer backing, not the padding.  I will also tell you if you use a baby diaper as a stuffer and place it inside the diaper between the padding and the outer backing, it works just as well as putting it inside your diaper, but it gives a great look to the back of your diaper!  You have a very pronounced bulging area right down the center of the back of your diaper and even with shorts or pants there is no mistaking you have a diaper on!  Although I am DL and not AB, it looks remarkably like a baby diaper with the pronounced bulge running from top to bottom down the center of your diaper.

We are a dedicated bunch. And innovative, too.

I have considered buying the largest Pampers available then cutting them in half and dumping the contents into a plastic container. I could then slit the top of my adult disposable at the top/front, and stuff as much of the Pampers insides into the front of the adult diaper (where guys often need all the help they can get). You can fold the top of the backing of your disposable over and tuck it in next to your waste, thereby avoiding the need to seal it back up.

Just a thought, anyway.

Then again, if the booster pads offer enough extra absorbency, that's probably the way to go.

Bob

6 hours ago, diaperedboilerman said:

I gave it  a try. This morning I got a 6 tab Attends diaper. This diaper usually I can wet two times in and must change. Usually once sitting down, and the second time must be standing or it leaks. I gently opened up the inner liner at the top and put 4 teaspoons of polymer in the padding. It was very difficult to get the padding not to rip apart, and also quite hard to spread the polymer evenly. I then stapled the top back closed with 3 staples across the top so it stayed to the plastic as it was supposed to.

I sat here at my computer and peed two times sitting on my chair and again standing up and no leaks. It was really odd taking it off as the front was thick and squishy and the  back still paper thin! LOL But it worked! Attempting my second one now before I leave for work! 

Hi,

I know what you mean. It's easy to just make a slit at the top / inside of an adult diaper and scoop a bit of extra SAP in there. I've had the same experience you have had: The thing swells up in the front to the point where it gets sort of noticeable. It behaves more like a real Pampers which if completely soaked, swells up so much that it almost takes on the shape of a large sports bottle.

As a guy, I don't care about the SAP in the back. In fact, that gets sort of frustrating in that the front and crotch are soaked and the back is dry. What a waste. So shoveling a bit of SAP into the front is quick and it does cause the thing to swell up considerably as it retains more wetness. Call it a personalized product improvement program.

The SAP I used is marketed "as diaper SAP," so I presume it is safe and non-irritating. But that's up to anyone who tries this to check it out.

That said, this is not to disparage those who have found boosters to work. Whatever gets it done for you!

Have fun,

Bob

On 2/24/2018 at 6:02 PM, diaperedboilerman said:

I have to agree. A buddy of actually has been working on some way to help get the urine to the back of the diaper for us guy's so we can get better use from the diaper.....However I have noticed the Northshore supreme actually does a pretty good job of wicking even under my fat rear end while seated.  But still the front fills up first no matter how I am "parked" :D  LOL

Yeah I went on Ebay on Tuesday and bought some "diaper Polymer" and it arrived yesterday, so this morning before work I tried it out! :) At work now in a normal Dry 24/7. I don't experiment at work. Had enough diaper failures in the past few years to know better than to bring up my chances by playing around with one I am wearing! :) 

Great! If you buddy figures out a way to get pee to distribute itself into the seat or back of a disposable diaper, I'd love to hear it. It's frustrating to have a leak when almost the entire back is bone dry.

Adding SAP into the front of the diaper between the stay dry lining and plastic backing is kind of fun. At least for those guys who enjoy the front of their disposable diaper really swelling up to well over an inch thick. That stuff they use in baby and adult diapers is amazing. 

23 minutes ago, Yooo said:

Any links of were to buy SAP in the US?

IMO, I usually use the always overnight with slits cut in the back, or a NorthShore booster.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes. There are manufacturers that sell it in bulk. But you can also buy it from Amazon. I thank a pound is about $20.00. You can do a search there, or you can click on my blog below for a link to the product. Full disclosure: I am an Amazon Affiliate, and I would make a buck or two if you order it by clicking on a link at my site. That fact is also revealed at the bottom of my blog. If that fact bothers you, just go to Amazon directly and search for diaper SAP. You'll find some choices. :)

Bob

50 minutes ago, diaperedboilerman said:

Bob I tried it using your search box and this is what I got? 

diaper poly.jpg

You may have an ad-blocker on your browser that's stopping the Amazon ads from showing up. They are at the bottom of the home page and the bottom of each blog post. You don't have to use the search feature on my blog. In fact, as you found out, it only searches for stuff on my site.

Here's a screen shot of what the ads look like.

Bob

Capture.JPG.1b3e3666e42a1df52f4279202f219e91.JPG

7 hours ago, diaperedboilerman said:

Oh now I see. I thought you had direct links to the products and you got money from that, so I was looking for them. The biggest issue I had before with that polymer in bulk is that over the summer it took on air from our super humid summer air and it was hard when I wanted to use it again.....and it was in sealed plastic bag. :( So I am scared to buy more than a small bag at a time even though I really want a lot as it is cool making my cheap diapers work like a premium! :)

Yeah, I've used the one on my ads on my site. If I recall, it comes in a plastic jar with a screw on top. I had no problems, but my home is not especially humid. The label on the product specifically mentioned "diapers," so I figured the crystals were just as fine as the ones actually used in diapers.

The stuff does swell up like mad. If Pampers crams that stuff into their diapers, which it appears they do, no wonder they absorb so much and swell up to the degree they do. It's crazy.

Bab

3 minutes ago, diaperedboilerman said:

Alright, thanks, I will check it out for sure via the link on your page! :)  yeah it gets quite humid here in the summer and it was an issue. I suspect if I keep it in the plastic or a  glass jar with plastic wrap over the top and a tight lid I might be ok! worth a try for sure. 

You make a great point. A glass mason jar should do it for sure. If that leaks, then a lot of stuff our mothers or grandmothers canned should have been health disasters.

Bob

I got about 10 pounds from a someone i know that buys it by the #2000 pallet load for lawn use.

To keep a green lawn out here in the calif desert you have to use SAP to hold the water.

Running dry large grain type sap through a blender will make it fine like the type used in diapers

On 2/27/2018 at 9:01 PM, Yooo said:

Any links of were to buy SAP in the US?

IMO, I usually use the always overnight with slits cut in the back, or a NorthShore booster.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes, you can buy SAP from Amazon in 1 pound containers for $20.00. You can do a search at Amazon. Or you can go to my blog shown below. Iand there is an ad on most of my pages for the stuff along with other ABDL stuff. Full disclosure:  I am an Amazon Affiliate and earn a bit on stuff bought from those ads. If that bothers you, just go to Amazon directly and do a search! :)

1 hour ago, anned said:

I got about 10 pounds from a someone i know that buys it by the #2000 pallet load for lawn use.

To keep a green lawn out here in the calif desert you have to use SAP to hold the water.

Running dry large grain type sap through a blender will make it fine like the type used in diapers

And the creativity of this community knows no bounds.

Carry on!

Bob