LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Ever had one of those days?

wearer24/7

Hi everybody, I've just had the day from hell. I don't hide the fact that I drive a delivery van for a living and tody was the worst. 

I set off from the depot and headed up the M6 motorway, set the cruise control to 60 and ended up in Scotland on my way towards Stranraer to catch a ferry to northern Ireland. However all did not go well. I had just come off the motorway and was heading along an A road when the engine made a crack and the rear axel locked up, the back end skidded into a shallow muddy ditch at the side of the road before I had chance to drop the clutch and free wheel. 

Anyway I was stranded, the engine was completely totalled. Don't know what the hell has happened but it is going to probably need new engine, possibly a new gear box and rear axle. 

As advised by my company I stood on the side of the road waiting for the pick up truck from work to lift my van and get it back to depot, anyway in a bit of a panic I exited the van out of the passenger side and the wind  took the door and slammed the door shut. Our vans have an automatic deadlocking system so I was locked out in the freezing cold, in a nappy which I had changed about two hours ago and I was getting cold. I was informed that the lifter from our depot was going to be about 4-6 hours as it was on the other side of the Penines lifting another vehicle which had been smacked into. 

I was in a bit of a predicament as I usually keep my changing bag in the van and I had no access to it. I stood there for at least an hour and was when I got the chance feeling my nappy to see when I was close to needing a change. 

I've driven this route many times and there is a quiet lay by about 30 miles towards Stranraer where I usually have a change before waiting to board the ferry but I was nowhere near there so I took action, I went into the bushes and looked for anything I could break the passenger window with. Anyway to cut this story short I found a rock, actually half a brick and used the corner to break the window. I got I to the van retrieved my keys and went into the back of the van to get changed, I was just taping up when there was a banging at the rear doors with a voice booming Come out or we will be forced to open the doors and send the dog in. It was the police, somebody had seen me breaking the window of my own van and called the police. I taped up very quickly made myself decent and opened the door only to be immediately placed under arrest for trying to steal a motor vehicle. I examined to the officer that the van had broke down, it was immobilised and that the wind had locked me out. Now here is the difficult bit! I then had to explain why I had to break Into my own van and why I didn't open the door immediately. The officer was very understanding but I bet I will be talked about at there local police station for some time to come. 

I didn't get to Ireland and ended up back at base having to do the same journey tomorrow in a different van. I was hoping  to be back for the weekend but that is out of the question now. 

Not something you can do with a delivery van, but I always keep a separate key to both my cars in a key case in my pocket.  If something should happen and I lock the keys in the car, I can use the spare to get in.  Maybe suggest to your company that they issue 2 keys, one to use in the ignition and a spare for your pocket just in case, especially if the vans have an automatic deadlocking system.  It would be cheaper for the company than either replacing a broken window or the down time waiting for someone to come and unlock the van.

just an update for you guys. When I got back to the depot I had to explain what had happened to the van! My boss is the kind of guy that just shrugs off incidents like this but today he was asking all sorts of questions. I told him why the window was smashed, and that i had to get in to the van as a matter of urgency. He was nearly on the floor with busted ribs from laughing. 

Anyway, my van breaking down like this has led to the mechanics being placed under scrutiny because it looks like work that had been charged for on the fleet of vans had not been done but had been charged for. My van was supposed to have had a new cambelt last year but it looks like the belt was ancient and not even touched. This is what caused my van to destroy itself.

Oh what a bad day for sure.  As far as the police being called due to you need to break in, I would have simply said that I was freezing and had to be back into the van, period.  With regard to being in the back, that is a different story, but I would have started with checking my load as you mentioned having to leave the road abruptly.   If pressed I would have gone on to the part about your other load needing attention, but only as a fall back.

In any case, glad that you were ok after all that, could have been a lot worse if you lost control of your van.

Better days will come for sure

I'm just wondering if your boss already knew you were incontinent and wore diapers. :rolleyes:  If so, I can see how he could understand. ^_^  If not, how embarrassing to have to explain to him that your diaper was soaked, you were about to leak and get your pants wet and had to get inside in a hurry to change into a dry diaper.  :o

Keep us up to date as much as you can about the mechanics and what your company does about it.  In house mechanics or out sourced?  If they charged for work that was not done, I hope some people get fired over it!  Harsh words, but I used to travel the interstate 120 miles a day, 5 to 6 days a week for 12 years.  It's one thing to break down due to a serpentine belt breaking because they didn't replace it but said they did.  It's another thing when worn bushings, tie rod ends, transmissions, U-joints and when bearings (and more) are not replaced.  Those go out suddenly on the highway and you could lose control and kill yourself or someone else.  Repairs and upkeep on vehicles is not something to be taken lightly, especially heavy work vehicles that are used all day long 6 or more days a week.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny thing is rusty, my boss does know and is great in that matter. What I told my boss was a bit different from what I told the police? I told my boss that when I went off the road I must have dislodged a brick at the side of the road and it broke the passenger side window. Anyway, he bought it. 

The mechanics are outsourced but work in a workshop that they set up on our premises. My boss had an almighty shouting match with the chief mechanic and is currently recouping the cost of a similar van and the costs of recovery, time wasted, ferry crossing missed, my wages etc etc. He is not pleased and has asked to see all parts replaced from now on. The trust has gone between him and the mechanics, I also found out over a pint in the pub with him he is now looking to get another firm to do the mechanics job. He said that the mechanics rent a space from him and the work is given to them ad-hoc they have no contract with him at all. So he is now basically going to stop giving them any of our work. He thinks they will default on the rent within two months and he is putting the rent up by 100%in April just to give them the hint to get out. 

I've known my boss since I was about 18 we live in the same neighbourhood and drink in the same pub. He has known me both before and after my surgery and he has supported me all the way. 

Glad to hear it all!  Nice when your boss knows you wear diapers but is cool about it.  Makes explaining situations like this easier and less uncomfortable.  I think he is doing the right thing.  You have a company that tries to get away with charging for no work done (A serious safety issue) and that just shows what kind of people they are.  Crooked and dishonest.  This time they got caught and it will cost them a lot of money for reimbursement plus all their jobs!  Now how do they feel about it?  Too bad, so sad!  Do your job right next time if you want to stay employed!