LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store
fuzzybunny

Question to any one in management or supervisor?

So these past couple of months I have been busting my rumpus for the past month or so to get a higher position at a another facility 

I woke up this morning to a text from my supervisor basically saying, "there is an opening at another facility until another this date in time I will give you a reference if you want to put my name down. Would hate to loose you." 

Now maybe I'm over thinking. But I mean they never text me ever. 

(Latley I have been saying I wanted more as in more responbilities to my to other workers.) 

I guess does it seem They (is trying to actually help me or get rid of me) 

Never been in management or anything. 

Still applying though. 

Make it clear to your supervisor, you are an asset to the company, you want more responsibly, you are willing to give more of yourself, have good skills, and you want to move ahead. Let them know you want to make more of a contribution, and you think, you can be good for the company. Your supervisor "should" let their superiors know about you, and or, point you to where you can make it known, and what skills you can offer. If they don't, you should get use to where you are and eat it, or start looking for better elsewhere.  Good luck!   

Txts are a way of sending an "unofficial" message. One your boss may wish to convey, but is not considered "official" like an email would be.

It is really hard to say.  I have held some high level management positions at companies.  If I had a go getter like yourself that clearly is taking the initiative and is motivated to become a manager I would recommend him for a position in another division should I have no room for advancement under me.  Sure, it would be hard to lose you but honestly that would be putting my work needs above yours.  I always took the approach as if I am in the subordinates shoes.  What would I do?  What is best for their individual situation or family?  No matter how awesome an employee is the job always continues on in their absence because there is no other choice.  

There is also always a possibility that your manager is fearful of you taking his/her job.  It seems it is getting harder and harder to find individuals that truly have a drive to advance in todays workplace.  I say this based off of managing a 100 man site and it was hard to even find team leaders to volunteer.  A weak or poor manager could be intimidated by your efforts.  Only you really can sense the answer to this.

Regardless do not change what you are.  Always strive for the better position and I promise you eventually you will reap the rewards for doing so.

7 hours ago, fuzzybunny said:

So these past couple of months I have been busting my rumpus for the past month or so to get a higher position at a another facility 

I woke up this morning to a text from my supervisor basically saying, "there is an opening at another facility until another this date in time I will give you a reference if you want to put my name down. Would hate to loose you." 

(Latley I have been saying I wanted more as in more responbilities to my to other workers.) 

Still applying though. 

I was the VP of a medium size company (had 50 or so people reporting to me).    I think you're reading this differently than intended.   I think he meant the opposite.    They'd like to keep you, but they will give you a good reference if you want to go elsewhere.   Sometimes these things are handled outside company channels because there are politics for hiring employees away from one division in favor of another.

There are three ways to get ahead in the workplace:

1.)Be related to the boss/sleep with the right boss. This option is rarely a good choice...

2.) Get ignored, but fight and fight and fight until another place recognizes your worth and recruits you, or until you have so many awards and positive reviews that they are forced to promote you. (This is the route most minorities and women are forced to take.)

3.) Work hard, get recognized by the boss, and referred on up the chain. This looks like it is happening to you. This is the easiest, and best way to advance, as you typically will get a mentor out of this approach! Take it, and keep dialogue open with your current boss!

Was management in the restaurant industry for many years and I know a valued employee when I see one. You've been asking for a transfer and more responsibilities and now your getting it. Stop over thinking the situation and offer. 

Sounds to me like your boss is giving you your wings and your second guessing what he's saying to you. You ask and now your being given the opportunity and the worse thing you can do now is not take the opportunity.

Reasons:

1. If you turn down the opportunity your gonna seem like a whining pain in the ass who's too indecisive. "I want an opportunity to prove myself" "Oh I don't know now" 

2. Your boss listened to you and has given you the opportunity and if you turn it down the it looks like you have no respect for him and you'll never be given another opportunity cuz you wasted his time. 

3. Your boss said he hates to lose and it's probably true. You've become a valued employee to him and one he can really depend on and he's seriously thinking who do I find to fill his shoes. But again hes sticking his neck  out for you and in all honesty to himself he really wants you to succeed because it makes him look good too.

Take the opportunity and the best of luck to you.

Ps. As a boss I hated losing valuable, trustworthy employees but I would never deny them the opportunity to succeed. Seems like your boss is doing the same. He deserves some respect. 

A promotion means more responsibility but also more money (usually).  It also means a step up so you are not low on the pole and always having someone telling you what to do and how well or poorly you are doing your job.  On the other hand, you may be the one telling others they need to get on the ball and work better or your boss will be telling you that your crew isn't pulling their weight!  That can put you in the hot seat to be responsible for how a lot of people under you do their jobs.  I'm not sure what type of work you do now and what the promotion will be, but it's always a good idea (in my mind) to work yourself up the ladder.  I've done that in every job I've had by hard work and learning all I can about everyone else's job when I'm on lunch or break.  The more you know and can do, the more of an asset you are to the company.  The less you know and can do, the more of an ass you are to the company!  I always though middle management was a good place to be.  People under you doing the grunt work, and yes, you have a boss making sure you do your job and your people do their job, but if something really terrible happens and the company starts going bankrupt or the economy tanks, you are not at the top making the decisions that could cause the shareholders to terminate you!

This is a question that no one on this site can really answer. It completely depends on the management skills of the mananager you received the text from. Some managers will groom those beneath them to enable them to move up when the manager moves on. Others will do the opposite and only give them the knowledge and skills to do their current position.

If it were me I’d take the text as a positive sign that the boss has recognized your hard work and wants to reward you for it. Good luck on whatever path you take.

Hugs,

Freta

On 2/12/2018 at 10:02 AM, fuzzybunny said:

Still applying though. 

It sounds like your boss really likes you.  I would consider your options carefully, since they may offer you a better position where you currently work.