LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Diaper Pins

I didn't see anything recent on this subject so I figured I'd start a thread on these ;)

I have some plastic baby-style pins I bought at WalMart which are pretty but the metal is soft and bends so they often unsnap in wearing- BIG problem. I also find those rust easily too. They also sell plain brass pins which do fairly well but again the metal is a bit soft. I've also got some huge "Horse Blanket" pins which are fun and more proportioned to my bigger body but they are impractical for normal day-to-day wear. I'm wanting to get back to wearing cloth diapers more often, but without reliable pins it's tough. And I'm not interested in 'Snappis' or anything similar- I'm an oldster and I want my diapers pinned on only just like they were when I was young :baby_smiley3:

So I'm now on a quest and can use some help. I'm looking for safety pins of the normal plain type but in a 2 1/2- 3 inch length (2.65-7.7cm) which are made with thicker gauge wire that is not soft and bendy. I might also buy some with plastic heads, either rounded or with animal shapes. As we know sharpness counts as does rust-resistance- I don't need popped pins or rust making life harder than it needs to be <_<

What I'd like is specific recommendations or links  from those of you who have had good experiences with pins like I am seeking. There's a lot on Ebay etc but I'm not going to 'buy-and-try' until I find what I want if I can avoid that- I want to get back to this ASAP so what can you tell me?

Bettypooh

Well I don’t know if the link is any good to you but you can always ignore it. ;)

https://www.hobbygigant.nl/prym-baby-veiligheidsspelden-edelstaal-55mm-nl.html

I use these myself they are a little longer than 2”. The description / content is written in three different languages suggesting international trading so maybe you can find them in the USA as well. The used stainless steel wire is very strong and they hardly bend. With me they never come lose and I have them fail / break on me maybe once per year. I use them on a daily basis as I prefer to wear cloth diapers myself. The link is from a Dutch site (sorry for that) but at least you’ll get an indication of the brand and what the look like. The one thing I am absolutely sure of these safety pins won’t disappoint you. I bought 5 boxes some (20 pieces) some six years ago and still last today. If you don’t like white ones they have colors to if I am correct but I prefer white.

• Like 1

Since I haven't used cloth in years, I don't remember where I got my pins.  They look like the Protex pins listed above, and I use them for pinning Renaissance Faire Garb underneath corsetry (So it doesn't pop from my movement and stick me)  They do in fact hold!

An old mommies trick/tip, is to stick your pinheads in a bar of soap, it lubricates them, and helps them to slid into or through the diaper material easier. 

I also thought giving them a light sprits with cooking spray, and wipe off excess,  might do the same. I’ve never tried the cooking spray, and I couldn’t be sure it wouldn’t leave a stain? I don’t think the soap would leave any stain though. 

Ha Ha Ha!  This is the very first reference I can ever recall reading about "Rusty Pins".  Unfortunatly, it's getting harder and harder to find diaper pins in stores these days with everyone using Pampers, Huggies and other disposable baby diapers.  I do have regular plastic head baby diaper pins and they work well enough for me, but I do notice that the part that springs out and pokes through the diaper will bow out and that can cause it to possibly pop lose.  I haven't had one do that yet, but it is possible.  I rarely wear cloth diapers but the baby diaper pins have worked very well for me when I do, and I find them especially handy when a tape on my disposable diaper tears off from the back.  I can pin on both a plastic backed and cloth backed disposable diaper same as I would a cloth diaper using diaper pins if a tape fails.  And, in spite of my user name, I can't ever remember having a rusty diaper pin.   have seen 3 inch diaper pins but with colored metal heads and not plastic heads.  Little Christine may have the best option for you Bettypooh if regular baby diaper pins are not working in your situation.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help :D The "Hello Kitty" pins are adorable and the 'Gerber" style pins with the plastic heads bring back memories. I can't remembered being diapered in my childhood but I do remember seeing those pins around the house and being the youngest I'm sure they were used on me :girl_happy: Now it's just to choose which way to go and that;'s not an easy decision!

Bettypooh

OsoCozy Diaper Pins is a brand I find to be very sturdy . Some of the pins I have tried are so thin and cheap they aren't worth the money .  JoAnns has plain safety pins in larger sizes . I also use them on disposable diapers when the tapes don't hold so well. They look cute  ;)

• Like 1

Well, the plastic headed pins were used with babies for a reason, they were larger and safer, Dritz used or uses them. and PINK?! How many of the recommendations come from cloth diaper only, unabashed Little Girls? They do not have the RUFFLES & RIBBONS GIRLS' HOME Gold seal for no good reason. Can a "Little Christine [if that is not pulling rank, I do not know what is]" be wrong?

My diaper pins are getting old and yes, they do bend.  I got a pair of protex baby pins with purple heads.  Very sturdy, but the are very hard to stick through the cloth.  I have poked my self pudhing so hard to get through thick layers.  Fortunately just my finger and not my hip.  

I best idea is use plastic head baby diaper pins and replace once a year. Way cheaper than a small pack of disposable diapers that are gone in ten wears.  

P.S.  get a mommy, so it becomes her problem, not yours.

Ruffle.

7 minutes ago, Fakename4me said:

How about Dritz diaper pins?  I have heard good things about them and they may be available local to you...

They are ok, but smaller and will bend with adult diapers sometimes letting go then. They are getting harder and harder to find in the stores around here. I stopped using those ever since I found the bigger ones above I spoke about. Those are stronger, bigger, and so cute.

59 minutes ago, FullyLoaded said:

Same here but I get them right from baby-pants.com

Didn't now of them. They have a lot of neat stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:09 AM, Bettypooh said:

I didn't see anything recent on this subject so I figured I'd start a thread on these ;)

I have some plastic baby-style pins I bought at WalMart which are pretty but the metal is soft and bends so they often unsnap in wearing- BIG problem. I also find those rust easily too. They also sell plain brass pins which do fairly well but again the metal is a bit soft. I've also got some huge "Horse Blanket" pins which are fun and more proportioned to my bigger body but they are impractical for normal day-to-day wear. I'm wanting to get back to wearing cloth diapers more often, but without reliable pins it's tough. And I'm not interested in 'Snappis' or anything similar- I'm an oldster and I want my diapers pinned on only just like they were when I was young :baby_smiley3:

So I'm now on a quest and can use some help. I'm looking for safety pins of the normal plain type but in a 2 1/2- 3 inch length (2.65-7.7cm) which are made with thicker gauge wire that is not soft and bendy. I might also buy some with plastic heads, either rounded or with animal shapes. As we know sharpness counts as does rust-resistance- I don't need popped pins or rust making life harder than it needs to be <_<

What I'd like is specific recommendations or links  from those of you who have had good experiences with pins like I am seeking. There's a lot on Ebay etc but I'm not going to 'buy-and-try' until I find what I want if I can avoid that- I want to get back to this ASAP so what can you tell me?

Bettypooh

I use the Dritz baby pins which I get from Changing Times Diaper Co. I've gotten over

a years use from one pair of pins.

On 1/21/2018 at 6:36 PM, FullyLoaded said:

Same here but I get them right from baby-pants.com

I got the large duck diaper pins too. I also bought the contour diaper but I have a hell of time getting the pins through the cloth. I even sharpened the points and still can't get them through without a struggle, and I mean a struggle to the point where my thumb cramps up. I washed and dried the diaper several times too. 

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

14 minutes ago, DL4LIFE said:

I got the large duck diaper pins too. I also bought the contour diaper but I have a hell of time getting the pins through the cloth. I even sharpened the points and still can't get them through without a struggle, and I mean a struggle to the point where my thumb cramps up. I washed and dried the diaper several times too. 

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I use the plain blue ones with a baby-pants prefold and they work fine.  It does take some pushing to get them through the diaper though.  Try rubbing the point on a bar of soap for lubrication.  Be very careful sharpening them with a stone because it wont leave as smooth of a point than the original point.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:48 AM, rusty pins said:

Ha Ha Ha!  This is the very first reference I can ever recall reading about "Rusty Pins".  Unfortunatly, it's getting harder and harder to find diaper pins in stores these days with everyone using Pampers, Huggies and other disposable baby diapers.  I do have regular plastic head baby diaper pins and they work well enough for me, but I do notice that the part that springs out and pokes through the diaper will bow out and that can cause it to possibly pop lose.  I haven't had one do that yet, but it is possible.  I rarely wear cloth diapers but the baby diaper pins have worked very well for me when I do, and I find them especially handy when a tape on my disposable diaper tears off from the back.  I can pin on both a plastic backed and cloth backed disposable diaper same as I would a cloth diaper using diaper pins if a tape fails.  And, in spite of my user name, I can't ever remember having a rusty diaper pin.   have seen 3 inch diaper pins but with colored metal heads and not plastic heads.  Little Christine may have the best option for you Bettypooh if regular baby diaper pins are not working in your situation.

Rusty,I have 4 Walmart and two Targets around me and I can find baby diaper pins at ALL those stores.

Consider these more substantial diaper (kilt) pins listed at Ebay:

10pcs Retro Simple Strong Metal Kilt Scarf Sweater Cardigan Brooch Pins Safety
Ebay item number (192171029376)
$3.39 Free S&H

Lot of 3 Large Big 5" Inch Laundry Stainless Steel Safety Pins Kilt Diaper Pins
Ebay itme number  (232647375594)
$6.99 Free S&H

10pcs Large Safety Pins Shawl Buckle Durable Strong Metal Kilt Scarf Brooch
Ebay item number (252815837639)
$2.89 Free S&H

Ebay Search for kilt pins also diaper pins