LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Hi all, had my anual check up today at urologists in the hospital. All went well until they suggested that i try using a catheter again. The consultant said that with my sphyncter being in the condition it is it may be worth trying a catheter again, but i may also "dribble a little around the catheter" i said does that mean i will have to use some sort of incontinence pad? The consultant said that it would most likely be necessary to use pads. 

The consultant looked a bit stumped when i suggested that not only will i still have to use pads but there will be the discomfort of a bag and the possible UTI'S as well, instead of wearing briefs and having none of  the other complications.  I said to the consultant that that it is he who finds fitted incontinence briefs embarrassing and that i am comfortable wearing briefs all of the time. I explained that it was a matter of getting into a routine and knowing the limits of your nappy. I told him that he was trying to stigmatise me and said that he was going to put me at more risk from being cathetered.  

We left it at that! 

2 hours ago, wearer24/7 said:

Hi all, had my anual check up today at urologists in the hospital. All went well until they suggested that i try using a catheter again. The consultant said that with my sphyncter being in the condition it is it may be worth trying a catheter again, but i may also "dribble a little around the catheter" i said does that mean i will have to use some sort of incontinence pad? The consultant said that it would most likely be necessary to use pads. 

The consultant looked a bit stumped when i suggested that not only will i still have to use pads but there will be the discomfort of a bag and the possible UTI'S as well, instead of wearing briefs and having none of  the other complications.  I said to the consultant that that it is he who finds fitted incontinence briefs embarrassing and that i am comfortable wearing briefs all of the time. I explained that it was a matter of getting into a routine and knowing the limits of your nappy. I told him that he was trying to stigmatise me and said that he was going to put me at more risk from being cathetered.  

We left it at that! 

You also have to remember that it is also the doctors job to keep you coming back, by suggesting using the catheter and knowing the risks of UTI's , once you have a UTI you need to return. Also they get to recommend the brand of catheter of their choice and all the kickbacks they receive when you purchase the suggested items. 

They like to keep their vacation home in the Bahamas and need your insurance payments along with co payments to keep living their life style. 

UTIs are simple enough to diagnose and treat that someone will see their GP rather than a urologist, so it isn't about ensuring repeat "business."  The general line of thinking is that not having to rely on diapers or pads helps a patient's self-esteem, since adult diapers tend to be specifically advertised as being for the elderly.  Doctors think that wearing diapers will make people feel like they've lost a part of themselves because they are "too young" for them, which will lead to depression and associated health risks that come with that.  They believe catheters empower people by letting them still have some degree of control over their situation.  That has more to do with perception than profits.  Some companies have been trying to change how they market diapers to adults, but they built decades of stigma that they have to try and overcome now.

My Doctor, Diabetic nurse and, continence nurse all know I wear nappies to deal with my incontinence and have never questioned my choice. I tried a condom catheter and couldn't get on with it. It wasn't a problem for them. The urologist and the Doctor never mentioned how I was going to manage my incontinence. This was let to the continence nurse. 

• Like 1

Wearer24/7, Every urologist that I’ve ever seen has suggested using a condom catheter instead of a diaper. One urologist (whom I fired) even told me that wearing a diaper is “unmanly.” I’ve tried condom catheters, but I greatly prefer wearing a diaper. I’m the one who has to manage my incontinence on a day-to-day basis. So I manage it in the most pleasant (or least unpleasant) way. What others think of the way I handle it is really none of their business.

• Like 1
On 1/11/2018 at 4:15 AM, stevewet said:

My Doctor, Diabetic nurse and, continence nurse all know I wear nappies to deal with my incontinence and have never questioned my choice. I tried a condom catheter and couldn't get on with it. It wasn't a problem for them. The urologist and the Doctor never mentioned how I was going to manage my incontinence. This was let to the continence nurse. 

I had the same result with my doctors, I told him I prefer to use diapers over other options to deal with my incontinence both during the  day and night.

My Dr has also been a friend for many years. I have tried his drugs and he got to see the horrid results (side effects). Now he is perfectly understanding of my diapers as a means of managing my incontinence. Recently he wrote me a letter recommending diapers for me. I will use this with the IRS should I ever get audited for writing off my diapers. 

On 11/01/2018 at 4:59 PM, adhb said:

Wearer24/7, Every urologist that I’ve ever seen has suggested using a condom catheter instead of a diaper. One urologist (whom I fired) even told me that wearing a diaper is “unmanly.” I’ve tried condom catheters, but I greatly prefer wearing a diaper. I’m the one who has to manage my incontinence on a day-to-day basis. So I manage it in the most pleasant (or least unpleasant) way. What others think of the way I handle it is really none of their business.

I totally agree and was getting fed up with the urologist trying to force me down a road i did not want to go down. I had tried a condom catheter but i got a rash as my skin was not able to get on with the stickiness of the catheter. nappies are for me the best way of dealing with a medical need .

I feel I'm in a strong position when I speak to my urologist it's my body and they can't force me into doing something I don't want to do and therefore i am sticking to wearing nappies rather than invasive surgery or infection gathering catheters. It's my body and I will be the last day in my treatment.

Saw my main family doctor last week (had not seen him for a few years) as I started to see a diferent doctor in the medical group as my doctor allways seemed to be in a rush. he was ok with my decision to wear diapers to manage my OAB issue.

My Doctor knows I wear nappies to manage my incontinence. He briefly mentioned the fact when I had my diabetic med review and changed my meds saying this might cause some incontinene but as you seem to manage that very well it shouldn't be a problem.

I saw my urologist yesterday.i see her every 6 months.she knew when she started seeing me in have urge incontinence caused by diabetes and neropathy.she has me on 2 different meds,but they seem to make no difference.she said at my age there is most likely no cure,short of surgery on prostate.i told her no surgery period and at first visit I told her I was using cloth diapers to manage it.yesterday she asked how many diapers I go thru daily and said since no change in my problem and i'm manageing with diapers mostly at night or away from home,that she just wants to see me back for a visit in another 6 months.she would send a message to my primary dr. that I seen her and no change.both dr' have it on my record that I wet an need diapers.