LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Adult Diapers vs. Condom Catheters for men

I have to wear poly backed adult diapers @ night due to severe urinary incontinence since 2007, and i've been wondering if

It would be more cost effective to continue wearing the diapers or to start using a reusable external catheter system?

can someone help me by telling me their opinions please?

Every urologist that I’ve seen has expressed surprise and sometimes even disapproval of my wearing diapers instead of using a condom catheter. As a reusult, I’ve tried using a condom catheter on several occasions, most recently being about 18 months ago when I was preparing to have hernia surgery and thought that the surgeon wouldn’t want me in a diaper until the incision healed. My problem with condom catheters is that I’ve had a number of “catastrophic” leaks while wearing one. The tube leading from the condom catheter itself to the leg bag that collects urine can come loose either from the catheter or the leg bag; and the leg bag can even rupture if you bump it hard enough against something; and leaks from a condom catheter are often  much more voluminous and harder to hide than leaks from a diaper. So I’m a diaper boy.

Some 50 years ago, shortly before I met my wife to be, I was persuaded to start using a condom cath and bag.

As a contraceptive, it didn't stop us having sex, but after several flooded beds, we moved on to a dutch cap and back to a bed-pad.

Since then, with the huge improvement in today's nappies, cath and bag are yesterday's technology.

This kind of cath doesn't work for those with small wee-wee's. And fails are usually a disaster, far worse than a leg or waistband diaper-leak :( Too many Doctors think that what they would prefer is what everyone would want, oftentimes not even mentioning other options, and never understanding why someone would choose a different way :angry: I've had to remind a few of them that it's my life and I make the choices- their role is only to diagnose me, advise me, and treat my problems in the manner I choose <_< That kind of 'takes the wind out of their sails' and they don't like that inconvenient truth much :lol:

I personally like wearing diapers and I'm not going to stop regardless of what my Doctor's think of that. I don't have a problem with it even if they do :P

Bettypooh

Long time Condom Catheter user here. And I hope this post isn't too long. AND don't get me wrong I do prefer wearing-using diapers over using condom catheters but there are times when diapers can be 'difficult' and the CC works better (for me that is). For those who want to give it a them the one important thing is getting the correct size/fit; it was hard for me to admit and actually start buying size small catheters. Also there are many different cath's out there, just like diapers, you got to experiment and find what works best for you.

Just some insight to using them, when you pee, unlike with a diaper where you feel the wetness, with the catheter going to the bag you don't, depending where you have your bag placed and fast you are peeing you may feel it filling. Also at night if using a bedside bag it is weird laying there and peeing, you don't feel anything. This maybe where the CC's may not be good, for those who move around a lot while sleeping there could be some good tugging. I don't like sleeping with a leg bag on, to me very uncomfortable

You can flood/do a fast full bladder empting while using a cath & bag, they are not just for dribbles (as long as the bag you are using is of the correct capacity). Just like a diaper you can over fill and have "issues".

What many have said about blow-outs and the such, I'd say over the years I've had more diaper related leaks than I have had with the condom catheters. Just one reminder to those are thinking about trying: Remember to close the drain valve's after empting!!!

And to:

14 hours ago, iluvmydiapers said:

Try hiding a piss bag strapped to your leg while wearing shorts and you will have your answer. 

You don't have to wear the bag on your calf, it can be worn on the thigh and you can wear Bermuda shorts just fine. I've also adapted a pair of boxers to hold a500ml bag instead of having it strapped to the thigh and wear shorts over that...no problem. Actually have gone swimming with this set-up a few times

Also to those who are on the path to incontinence these could help, many Dr's don't recommend the use of condom cath's to men who are trying to regain continence, again because you don't feel yourself going which in turn you don't try and stop the flow. 

and to the OP, you asked about cost, you can wear a condom cath, some say, up to 48 hrs, I try not to exceed 24. Now a typical cath costs about $1.45 each; The a bag will last up to a month (you do have to clean regularly). Now depending on the diaper you use and how many diapers a day you need, say on avg $1 per diaper and 5 changes a day, do the math.

Just some thoughts.............and again don't get me wrong: I still prefer my diapers.

There is no way I’ll try a condom catheter or any other for that matter. Diapers are more comfortable and easier to hide if you don’t overdo it. I think a urine bag strapped to your leg is very uncomfortable especially if you wear something like an overall over your daily clothing.

Although these days I use a foley catheter most of the time, I have used the condom catheter / leg bag very successfully. To avoid leaks, I chose a small size; 25mm when 30 mm might seem appropriate. This has to be stretched quite a lot to fit on. For added security, I fit a homemade rubber strap just behind the head. This is cut from a piece of bicycle innertube and fitted with snap fasteners, the centres of which are about 2mm closer than my circumference at that point so when in place it is slightly stretched; all quite comfortable. For added security with a bag at night, I wrap about 50mm (2 inches) of medical type paper tape around the join, folding back one end a little to provide a tab for easy removal.

It's summer here in Oz and diapers are pretty uncomfortable, not to mention the smell. For me the best arrangement is a foley catheter into a belly bag during the day and a 2 litre bag at night. The night bag is enclosed in a hot water bottle cover which is nice to snuggle in to when dropping off to sleep.IMG_5986.thumb.JPG.1521ff19266d5f9893d3f33829f0d1d4.JPG