LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Rearz trademarking AB/DL

I’ve been seeing some stuff on tumblr that rearz is attempting to trademark the term AB/DL.  Has anyone heard this or Does anyone know if this is true?  If it is that’s some serious Bull poop in my opinion

Well, that would be pretty cute since the term goes back about 30 years or so

I am beginning to wonder if the combined term has not lost some of its usefulness. I think there is a separation of the two ideas. Much of what I see on the DL side is about things AB's, LG's/VLG's or LB's would not care to be involvied with like wearing/using in public 23/7 or wearing in different veunes (hotels, movie theatres or the Doctor's office), and I am sure that DL's would not care to discuss dresses/babydolls, tiaras or tea sets. As I have said elsewhere, for DL's it appears to me that the diaper is not part of the narrative, it IS thenarrative. While a person may have both in her, one would tak precedence

I very much doubt they will be allowed it since the term is much older than their company. I'm sure a lot of other people could file earlier claims to the term if it came to it.

It's a pretty scummy move too... Its a phrase for our identity and community and to try and make it a business asset is pretty cynical. It's a shame because their products are good quality. It reminds me over that legal battle over the "Happy Birthday" song... It's just greed.

• Like 1

Does this mean we can expect "Bad Company; Better Diapers"?

This is reminscent of Roland trying to identify their digital Hammond style organ, the VK-7, which came out in the middle '90's as the "VK-7 Combo Organ"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_VK-7

To see why that is as bogus ad a $3 bill,  it in no way rewembles a true combo organ, which term was already in widespread use by 1968

http://www.combo-organ.com/

If they were to try to trademark the term "combo organ" they would be in direct conflict with these two items from Martinex

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=combo+model+v

and

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=combo+model+f

Which use the term correctly

A similar thing happened two decades earlier. There is a process in music where a keyboard setup is "bi-amp"ed. the input is divided to bass and treble, with the bass being sent to one amp and the treble to another. Someone started a companly and named it BiAmp

24 minutes ago, AbabeBill said:

Who invented the question mark, (“?”) ? 

The Mysterians https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=6PZLWsnSM6Wzgge5iIOoDQ&q=the+mysterians&oq=the+mysteri&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i20i264i46k1j46i20i264k1l2j0l5j0i20i264k1j0l3.1161.15478.0.37316.12.9.0.2.2.0.130.969.1j8.9.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.11.981.0..35i39k1j0i131k1j0i131i20i264k1.0.DAyfhNMZ8TQ

Everyone misspells it: it was The MysteriONS

24 minutes ago, AbabeBill said:

I may try claming the term, AB/DL combo organ!

Already Don 50 years ago, it was the GEM model *p* http://www.combo-organ.com/Gem/index.htm#ModelP

• Like 1

I heard some discussions that it could be related ASC trademarking ageplay.com and possible trying to come after REARZ for using the word ageplay in some of their ads. Hopefully REARZ makes a statement to one of the admins here why they are doing it, and clarify what they are intending. Honestly ABDL "short hand" is no different then "BDSM" I don't think you can trademark that honestly... But we shall see

Pretty much anything short of withdrawing the application won't be acceptable to me. No matter what their reasoning, the impact of trademarking ABDL in the diapers and clothing categories would have a huge impact on my ability to market products; as well as every other diaper ABDL vendor. I would have to be a complete fool to NOT dispute this application once it gets assigned to a lawyer in the trademark office.

Even if their intentions are pure, it makes a core part of this community a commodity that could be abused or sold to a less trustworthy buyer and I don't think any of us want that.

18 minutes ago, AwakenEvil said:

I heard some discussions that it could be related ASC trademarking ageplay.com and possible trying to come after REARZ for using the word ageplay in some of their ads.

Trying to trademark the word ageplay is as dumb, possibly even dumber, than trying to trademark AB/DL or BDSM.

So you got ageplay.com big deal. That doesn't give you exclusive rights to the use of the term.

I am talking about subject matter that relates to here, not elsewhere. You play age is your real age so you are not AB/Little

AbLG is not the sole part of my life either, but for what I do here, it is the only relevant part

Here's the link that shows their filing: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn87654755&docId=RFA20171025063844#docIndex=0&page=1

In a sensible world it would be thrown out immediately because the term "ABDL" is older than their entire company. They have no more right to that term than I do. Unfortunately this isn't a sensible world!

I would suggest anyone who is so inclined should send them a message telling them that you disagree with their attempt at taking ownership of a phrase that is widely used amongst all age players. Maybe enough pressure from potential customers would help them realise this is a poor move from a PR standpoint.

You can leave comments here: http://rearz.ca/contact-us/

Or alternatively e-mail them: diapers@rearz.ca

I’m not a fan of anyone using the term AB/DL as a trademark or trying to copyright it. I see it as a generic term that belongs to everyone.

There is some truth to what Rearz is saying on their website in way of explaining their motivations in trying to trademark the term. I know the fetlife website had trouble with payment processors refusing to handle their business unless they made changes to the site. These third party companies feel they have the right to censor speech and behavior by refusing customers. I could see them refusing to process payments from companies marketing openly to the AB/DL community.

In states where pot is legal businesses are being refused service by banks and credit unions because they sell pot. These businesses are forced deal in cash which is a huge liability to the business but a safety risk for the communities they are in and the police departments that must protect them.

I think if Rearz can hire lawyers to trademark the term AB/DL then maybe they should spend the money defending the right to use the term in advertising. That would make them an epic hero to the community rather than the bad rap they’re getting now.

Hugs,

Freta

18 minutes ago, FretaBWet said:

I’m not a fan of anyone using the term AB/DL as a trademark or trying to copyright it. I see it as a generic term that belongs to everyone.

There is some truth to what Rearz is saying on their website in way of explaining their motivations in trying to trademark the term. I know the fetlife website had trouble with payment processors refusing to handle their business unless they made changes to the site. These third party companies feel they have the right to censor speech and behavior by refusing customers. I could see them refusing to process payments from companies marketing openly to the AB/DL community.

In states where pot is legal businesses are being refused service by banks and credit unions because they sell pot. These businesses are forced deal in cash which is a huge liability to the business but a safety risk for the communities they are in and the police departments that must protect them.

I think if Rearz can hire lawyers to trademark the term AB/DL then maybe they should spend the money defending the right to use the term in advertising. That would make them an epic hero to the community rather than the bad rap they’re getting now.

Hugs,

Freta

POT comparison isn't a good comparison. Pot sellers in legal states have issues with banks because they are federally monitored and falls under their jurisdiction of the Feds when it comes to compliance. I think the bank Is worried that federal government will seize the cash because technically it’s still illegal.  

The better comparison would be ABDL to LGBT. It is an acronym which nothing Rearz produces is Technically “ABDL” thus I think in legal battle they would have a hard time trademarking that acronym.

20 minutes ago, FretaBWet said:

That is completely different. Pot, while legal on the State level, is still ILLEGAL on the Federal level. Banks are concerned with handling what is for all intents at purposes "drug money" and therefore don't want to deal with it.

4 minutes ago, AwakenEvil said:

POT comparison isn't a good comparison. Pot sellers in legal states have issues with banks because they are federally monitored and falls under their jurisdiction of the Feds when it comes to compliance. I think the bank Is worried that federal government will seize the cash because technically it’s still illegal.  

Correct. 

• Like 1

The term is both generic and descriptive.   I think RearZ wasted their filing fee.   There's no way this is going to be issued.    You can file a protest here if you like:  https://teas.uspto.gov/ccr/lop 

The serial number is 87654755 (you'll need that for the first webform to continue).

RearZ's explanation is full of crapola.     First off, they are woefully (and apparently intentionally) ignorant of trademark law.    Yes, the letters ABDL can be used in conjunction with other words to make a trademark, but ABDL by itself is entirely generic and descriptive.   They're attempting to grab the mark is not a way to assure its free use in commerce no matter what bullshit they give.   

6 minutes ago, drynot said:

Meh....I'm over this already.  I'm not going to stop buying from them.  They have quality products that fit me.

I agree. Does it piss me off they are pulling off that stunt, yes but am I going to not shop there... probably not. Same thing goes for ABU jacking up the cost of the diaper.