LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Old Commercials & Little Space

Does anyone else find that watching old TV commercials (or adverts as we tend to say in the UK) for baby products can really help you get in to little space?

I used to freeze when these adverts were shown on the TV when I was younger; it's as though I thought people would be able to read my thoughts when they were showing, but I just couldn't look away!  It's so fantastic to see so many of these old adverts on YouTube now.  I can remember them so clearly.

My favourites are probably the Ultra Pampers advert from around 1987, the Pampers Boy & Girl advert from the late 1980s and an advert for a baby wipe brand called Baby Wet Ones from 1984.  The latter has a wonderful song!

I'm just wondering if there's anyone else that enjoys watching these too.

:bye:

Of course, so many old disposable diaper commercials, Pampers, Luvs, Huggies, Kimbies (“shaped like a baby”). Detergent commercials, showing how well they will clean those cloth diapers! Cloth training pants, Caters, Gerber. Unfortunately, I don’t recall many for plastic pants. There was one, where they were selling copper bottom pots. It opened with a baby wearing plastic panties, that were copper colored. The tag line, “He may be fat in copper”. 

I can remember the commercials for Pampers, highlighting the advent of the new tapes, to fasten them. “No more pins, or need for plastic pants”. (I didn’t like that, no more need for plast pants stuff myself). 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, AbabeBill said:

I can remember the commercials for Pampers, highlighting the advent of the new tapes, to fasten them. “No more pins, or need for plastic pants”. (I didn’t like that, no more need for plast pants stuff myself). 

I know what you mean!  I always liked plastic pants even with disposables, and I still do.

Thanks for replying to my first non-introductory post!  It's interesting to read about your memories of commercials.

Oh, baby commercials...

Growing up in the 90s, I swear that any commercial advertising diapers, baby wipes, baby food, formula, baby toys, ANYTHING having to do with babies seemed patently designed to make it look like being a baby was the greatest thing in the history of ever. So much so that, in retrospect, I hold the advertising companies somewhat responsible for why I want to be a baby again. Somewhat responsible :P

There are quite a few that I still have strong memories regarding. My mother was an avid soap opera fan and that seemed to be the golden time of day to see baby commercials on TV, so I caught quite a few during the summer months when I didn't have school. The ones I remember most vividly are ones for Huggies Supreme featuring this little animated star, and one for Baby Fresh wipes were some cartoon animals distract a baby.

• Like 1

One I will never forget is a Kimbies commercial.  A salesman was seated on a park bench with a woman next to him.  He had a full pitcher of water and a Kimbies disposable diaper.  He held the diaper in his hands , closed except at the top.  He told the woman to pour the pitcher of water (I swear it was a half gallon pitcher) into the top of the diaper.  She looked dubious, then started pouring.  I think she stopped part way through and the salesman said to pour it all in.  She did.  Then the salesman snapped the diaper open in her face and she recoiled.  Not a drop flew out!  I remember being around age 12 or 13 and getting a Kimbies to put inside my underpants.  To this day I remember how much I could wet in it and how much it soaked up!  It was a truly great diaper.  Sadly, as it is today, marketing plays a big roll in sales and since Pampers were first, Kimbies just couldn't compete.  Like Depends and other brands, Depends may not be the greatest but it's what people know.  Kimbies were made by Kimbery Clark, same as Huggies today and I guess people needed a gimmick like elastic leg gatherers to make them buy a different baby diaper than Pampers.  Too bad as Kimbies were really absorbent and looked cool too!  Too bad you can't find all the old diaper commercials, and I mean each and very one ever produced on YouTube! 

• Like 1
On 02/12/2017 at 1:37 AM, minachan16 said:

Growing up in the 90s, I swear that any commercial advertising diapers, baby wipes, baby food, formula, baby toys, ANYTHING having to do with babies seemed patently designed to make it look like being a baby was the greatest thing in the history of ever.

Being a baby IS the greatest thing in the history of ever! :D

I know what you mean though; those commercials always caused such strong emotions in me.  I think I liked the commercials because I already knew I wanted to be a baby, but I'm sure they helped to shape some of the specific details around what exactly it means to be treated like a baby though.

On 02/12/2017 at 5:29 PM, billybobtombo said:

Am totally with you on the embarrassment factor. Even though I’m sure no one could have known how much I was enjoying the nappy ads, I just felt like everyone WAS looking at me! 

I'm sure my family must have noticed.  I suspect my attempts to hide my embarrassment probably only served to make it all the more obvious and probably meant that they were looking at me!  My heart would just skip a beat whenever nappy adverts came on and it's amazing to think how I somehow already knew that I wasn't supposed to be enjoying them…

9 hours ago, rusty pins said:

Too bad you can't find all the old diaper commercials, and I mean each and very one ever produced on YouTube! 

Yes, it really is.  There's a pretty good selection on there, but I guess anything dating back to before VCRs were common is going to be very hard to source.  Perhaps the manufacturers or advertising companies could be persuaded to upload them?  We should also appeal here:  If anyone has any commercials on tape that aren't currently on YouTube, it would be great if they could upload them for everyone else to enjoy.

I don't think we ever had Kimbies in the UK, but they sound great.  Is there any information on them anywhere?

9 hours ago, rusty pins said:

One I will never forget is a Kimbies commercial.

I've had a quick look, and I can't find that commercial, but it seems like this one might have been from a similar campaign?

EDIT: Link removed.

I've just thought… I should have checked first.  Is it OK to post links to YouTube here?  If not, please just let me know.

Edited by Baby_Richie
Removal of link
3 hours ago, Baby_Richie said:

I've just thought… I should have checked first.  Is it OK to post links to YouTube here?  If not, please just let me know.

It is okay to post videos. It is NOT okay to post videos of minors. We have had threads like this shut down in the past because of this.

And yes, even if it's a commercial that aired on national television, if it has kids in it, it's not allowed.

50 minutes ago, minachan16 said:

It is okay to post videos. It is NOT okay to post videos of minors. We have had threads like this shut down in the past because of this.

And yes, even if it's a commercial that aired on national television, if it has kids in it, it's not allowed.

Thanks for your message.  Yes, that's a very sensible policy; I completely understand.

Although that commercial didn't feature any minors, I've removed the link anyway, as I think it's probably best to avoid posting link to videos on this thread, and just keep it to discussion.  I hope that's OK with everyone.  I'm so sorry if I've offended anyone.  I'm new here and still finding my feet, but message received and understood.

Thanks again for clarifying.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Baby_Richie said:

Thanks for your message.  Yes, that's a very sensible policy; I completely understand.

Although that commercial didn't feature any minors, I've removed the link anyway, as I think it's probably best to avoid posting link to videos on this thread, and just keep it to discussion.  I hope that's OK with everyone.  I'm so sorry if I've offended anyone.  I'm new here and still finding my feet, but message received and understood.

Thanks again for clarifying.

You're welcome. I don't think you have anything to apologize for. Diaper commercials have always been a tricky subject around here because people have fond formative memories surrounding them, but the links get the topics closed. It would be nice if this one stayed open so people could share their memories :)

2 minutes ago, minachan16 said:

You're welcome. I don't think you have anything to apologize for. Diaper commercials have always been a tricky subject around here because people have fond formative memories surrounding them, but the links get the topics closed. It would be nice if this one stayed open so people could share their memories :)

Thanks! :-)  Yes, I can well understand that this would be a tricky area and I don't want to risk anything unsuitable being posted here.

When I started this thread I was just interested to find out about whether other people had similar memories to me about these sorts of commercials, and members have been really generous in contributing their thoughts and experiences, so it would be great to keep this thread open and to keep the discussion going.

Thanks again for your help and advice; it's really appreciated! :)

Amusingly, I didn't much think anything about diaper commercials for a long time.   I didn't get "in" to diapers until I was in my teens.   Once I was "in" I could hardly stand to watch anything with a diaper in it.   It was like I didn't want people to know I had the interest.   I do remember wishing that I could get disposable diapers in adult sizes.   At the time I was growing up, they hadn't even hit the market yet.   In fact, most of my adult diaper dreams were based on the Sears catalog.    Then when I was in college the first adult diapers hit and they were more in line with the old-style pampers (rectangular fan folds).    This was OK because me and my sisters had always been in cloth and my brother in the old-style pampers.   Still I wished for "baby shaped Kimbies" and other things I saw in the ads.

I think the first time I learned about adult diapers was because of a baby diaper commercial.  I seem to recall checking the Sears catalog for baby diaper prices and somehow noticing they also sold adult diapers.  THEN I found out my local pharmacy sold adult diapers and the rest is history!

22 hours ago, willnotwill said:

Once I was "in" I could hardly stand to watch anything with a diaper in it.   It was like I didn't want people to know I had the interest.

It seems this is quite a common experience for many of us!  I was starting to get a bit better at acting like I wasn't interested as I got older, or at least, I think I did!  I suspect the act still wasn't that convincing!

18 hours ago, drynot said:

THEN I found out my local pharmacy sold adult diapers and the rest is history!

I remember when I first found nappies in large sizes; it was a life-changing experience!

3 hours ago, Baby_Richie said:

It seems this is quite a common experience for many of us!  I was starting to get a bit better at acting like I wasn't interested as I got older, or at least, I think I did!  I suspect the act still wasn't that convincing!

For me, the older I got, the more paranoid I got. I remember being in high school and we would be watching evening TV and if a diaper commercial came on, I would immediately try to start a conversation with my parents, desperately trying to get them to not realize there was a diaper commercial on TV. It was probably the stupidest thing I could of done.

On 12/4/2017 at 8:23 AM, minachan16 said:

I get why you dont want them shown, but it truly is sad and pathetic that such a rule even has to exist.

• 1 month later...
On 13/12/2017 at 3:05 AM, rosalie.bent said:

I get why you dont want them shown, but it truly is sad and pathetic that such a rule even has to exist.

Hi Rosalie!

I wanted to reply as I'm reading "Adult Babies: Psychology and Practices" at the moment, and I'm finding it really helpful!  I'm still a little fuzzy on the difference between regressive and age/role players, but I suspect that's because I'm so regressive, that I just assumed age play was the same thing!

Yes, it is sad that we live in a world where adult babies can be so misjudged by many people.  I hope that one day, and with the help of books like yours, people will understand us better, and not assume the worst about us.

On 1/20/2018 at 2:41 AM, Baby_Richie said:

Hi Rosalie!

I wanted to reply as I'm reading "Adult Babies: Psychology and Practices" at the moment, and I'm finding it really helpful!  I'm still a little fuzzy on the difference between regressive and age/role players, but I suspect that's because I'm so regressive, that I just assumed age play was the same thing!

Yes, it is sad that we live in a world where adult babies can be so misjudged by many people.  I hope that one day, and with the help of books like yours, people will understand us better, and not assume the worst about us.

Your 'fuzzyness'' is not uncommon. Strongly regressive ABs dont really realise when it is role-play rather than core regression. Conversely, pure age-players have no idea that regression is even real and common.

Even in our own ABDL community, ignorance of what it is and how it works for various people is still pretty common.

• Like 1

I enjoy more semi-modern commercials. Stuff from late 90's to early 2000's. My favorites are mostly Pull-up and Easy Up ads. The ones that spring to mind are one called "Toddler Transitions" and another one about Kandoo Wipes.

I really wish this site would let me link stuff. Can somebody tell the origin of the rule?

• 1 month later...

Definitely! One of my earliest memories is a Pampers commercial called "The Great Sit-In," in which it showed close-ups of diapered bottoms, along with a bare baby-bottom plopping down on a package of Pampers, squishing it. I think what really solidified the memory was the fact that I was still diapered, but felt super embarrassed/ashamed about it, so I craved the innocence seen in that commercial to escape the fact that my mom very obviously hated changing my diapers. Side note: I remember her seeing that commercial the same time I did and saying how disgusting it was. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Your 'fuzzyness'' is not uncommon. Strongly regressive ABs dont really realise when it is role-play rather than core regression. Conversely, pure age-players have no idea that regression is even real and common.

Even in our own ABDL community, ignorance of what it is and how it works for various people is still pretty common.

Yes, it's still a distinction I'm struggling with.  As a strongly regressive AB, I think I just thought that this was what everyone was thinking and feeling when in little space.  Even now, I don't think I really know what an age-player is thinking and feeling, but I am at least now aware that there's a difference!  I really enjoyed your books, and I can't recommend it highly enough to everyone else here.

Definitely! One of my earliest memories is a Pampers commercial called "The Great Sit-In," in which it showed close-ups of diapered bottoms, along with a bare baby-bottom plopping down on a package of Pampers, squishing it. I think what really solidified the memory was the fact that I was still diapered, but felt super embarrassed/ashamed about it, so I craved the innocence seen in that commercial to escape the fact that my mom very obviously hated changing my diapers. Side note: I remember her seeing that commercial the same time I did and saying how disgusting it was. :(

I remember those sorts of commercials too, and always wished that I was one of the babies.

I'm so sorry to hear that your mother wasn't more sympathetic and understanding and that this left you feeling embarrassed and ashamed.  That must have been very difficult for you.  I think those of us with this side to our personalities all carry some shame around with us, but it must have been even worse to have had that reinforced by your mother.

It's not just the old nappy ads, but lots of the ads that were on when I was a kid, that were nothing to do with baby stuff.  Ads for...carpets, sausages, sweets, just about anything.  If it's one I watched when I was a real kid, it takes me back there now.

Mind you, I'm finding a lot of the ads of today a lot more distracting, and they're on every day.  When you get an ad for baby pullups followed be one for laxative suppositories then one for adult nappies, then I find it hard to keep my thumb from creeping into my mouth, however inappropriate the circumstances.  And that really did happen the other day.

Everyone likes a bit of nostalgia here and there and for many of us here, old diaper commercials really strike a chord. I was born in the late 80's, so it's kinda neat to go look back at diaper commercials from that time period because I was wearing those same diapers at that time...that being said, I have no memories of that time period...once you start getting to the commercials from the mid to late 90's though, that's when the nostalgia hits big time because I can remember being a kid watching those exact commercials, secretly wishing I was the baby in the commercial or getting to wear the same diapers that the baby was wearing.

There's a specific one that I came across awhile back that made all the memories come rushing back to me in an instant. It was as if I had just seen the commercial the day before when in reality, it had been 20 years or so. It was a Luvs commercial for when they first put Barney the dinosaur on the tape panel. Around this timeframe, I would've been about 8 or 9 years old. My grandma owned and ran a daycare that I would go to every day after school until my parents got off work....back then, Barney was the biggest thing since sliced bread, at least within the vicinity of that daycare center lol...for someone of my age back then, Barney was NOT cool and just a dumb show for little kids...but once I saw that commercial, I secretly longed to get to wear those diapers. My grandma had a private bathroom that she'd let me use in the daycare that also served as the changing room for the toddlers she watched. Seeing the stacks upon stacks of diapers in that room combined with the scents of it all was pure heaven...I'd always make sure to 'have to go' when I'd arrive after school. I can still remember the first time I saw the Barney adorned Luvs in that bathroom...never before had I wanted to swipe one so bad, but fear of getting caught always won out...

In the years that followed and I got older, like others mentioned, I'd get paranoid when diaper commercials would come on...I'd always find myself unable to think straight when a diaper commercial would come on as my mind would go blank lol...I'd be telling myself "act normal, try to make conversation, etc."....but all that would result would be me second guessing myself as to whether I was giving myself away lol....to this day, I still get uncomfortable when a diaper commercial comes on and family is in the room :P 

I kind of wish there was a place to see all the old diaper commercials, and I mean each and every one going all the way back to the late 1960's.  Pampers, Kimbies, all the different diapers.  We could spend days just watching them 24 hours and not get to see all of them.  And the funny thing is, I never wore disposable diapers as a kid!  Too early in the very early 1960's for disposable diapers so I was raised in cloth and plastic pants to age 5 and a half (diapered at night to that age - day trained around 2 and a half at the latest).