LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Post Your Childhood Holiday Memories

rusty pins

Some topics here got me thinking about my Christmas memories when I was a child.  I'm not talking strictly diaper memories but if that is part of it, go ahead.  My memories were in the very early 1960's.  I remember going with my Mom to the Sears store when they had a big train layout at Christmas time and buying a car for my brother.  I remember the old style plastic decorations of wreaths, Christmas trees, candy canes and snowmen on the downtown lamp posts the town lit up every year.  We ran a train around our tree with old cardboard houses from the 1940's and 1950's.  My mom taped on flat cardboard reindeer on the corneses above the curtains and cardboard Santa's and snowmen on the front windows.  We had our Manger scene on the top of the old black and white console TV and Garfield Goose (Chicago area children's TV show) played Suzy Snowflake and Hardrock Cocoa and Joe.  Back then there was no internet, Amazon or on-line shopping.  You either went store to store or you ordered from the 1000 page Sears, J.C.Penny or Speigal catalogs.  In fact, those heavy Christmas catalogs sent you your house by mail every season was what kids looked forwards to. 

We had a huge pine tree in our back yard that my dad would trim with lights every year.  He actually climbed the branches inside to get to the top and he always made sure to put the blinking green light at the top.  We lived in a small 2 story house and I would lay in bed at night (thickly diapered in cloth and plastic pants as I wet the bed until almost 6) and look out the window at the lit up tree and the blinking green light at the top.  Each year we would drive to a tree lot, go down the rows or freshly cut pine trees and pick out a nice one.  My dad hauled it home in the trunk of the 1955 Pontiac and it stood out in the snow to keep it fresh until the day we put it up.  Back then our inside tree was lit with C7 bulbs as the miniature bulbs were still new back then.  These were not LED bulbs either!  In fact, at one point in the 1960's there were big round colored bulbs that had plastic crystals glued on them and some had small Styrofoam bits glued on so they resembled colored snow and ice balls.  We still have a few of the old ornaments that we put on the tree, some my parents had in the late 1940's.  No CD's or MP3 players back then. We listened to Bing Crosby, Perry Como and many others on the record player.  Christmas TV specials?  Charlie Brown didn't come out until 1965  and the Grinch about that same time.  If you didn't watch the TV listings for them to air on one of the 3 available TV networks and missed them, too bad.  No VCR or DVD's back then. 

Then there is the memory of my mom cooking for all the relatives that would come over Christmas morning and all the home made cookies and coffee cakes.  Later in the afternoon we would go to my grandmother's house and all the relatives from my dad's family would be there.  My grandmother was an old German woman who immigrated in the late 1890's to America.  She made the best home made noodles, chicken soup and fried chicken, often killing the chickens herself.  Her cherry and apple strudel was absolutely the best and I've never found anyone who can make it like that in the past 50 years. 

We have home movies from around the late 1950's through the 1960's that help keep those memories alive.  When you are 4 and 5 years old, everything is big and exciting!  It seems now days people do their shopping on-line, buy gift cards, everything is I-phone, I-pad or electronics and video games.  People work tremendous hours and I can see the comvienience.  What kid these days wants a coloring book, Monopoly game or a skateboard (not hover board but old time skateboard)?  Sure people may crowd the local WalMart and Best Buy stores on Black Friday (excuse me, Black Thanksgiving day now) for super bargains, but how many actually go out to individual stores taking in the music, decorations and general holiday spirit to pick out those special gifts that you've put a lot of thought into anymore?  Especially the young people who were not brought up with the old memories and ways of doing things.

If you are so inclined, post some of your holiday memories from when you were a kid.  What was it like for you back then?  Shopping with your parents, putting up the tree, decorations you put up, gifts you gave or got, family get togethers, music.  I'd love to hear childhood memories from any of you, older and younger members both and I think it will be interesting to see just how much has changed over the last 50 years or more.

I too grew up in the 60’s and remember most of what you share here Rusty Pins.  I was the youngest of four siblings, the “baby”of the family.  I was not a bedwetter but do remember the plastic bed cover under the sheets that made me sweat every night.  

Yes, I remember fighting over who got the Sears or JCPennies catalog for for Christmas toy hunting too.  I liked to also look at the pages with little girls panties, embarrassed and memorized by the sweet rumba panties that went all the way to size 16.  Many a time my yucky older brother went running to mom ratting me out for looking at them.  

Christmas was a special time of year.  Cookie baking was a family affair that took all day.  So many steps and so many kinds of double batch recipes  were baked.  We each had our favorites with mine being frosted molasses cookies.  Chocolate crinkles were a close second.  Candy and fruitcake were also part of the traditional baking.

We decorated the week after Thanksgiving and presents were added under the tree nearly every day.  No shaking or even touching was allowed.  How many times did I hear, Get away from those presents or there will be none for you on Christmas morning.  The threat of Santa watching caused more naughtyness than normal I swear.  Christmas morning was pure TORTURE for excited little kids.  In mom and dads room three times during the night asking if it was time to get up yet.  We were made to wait at the top of the stairs for hours when we could get out of bed.  Mom went down to lure the heat up and start the coffee.  Dad took three hours for morning ablutions.  

How excited we were when we finally flew down the stairs to see the presents had magically multiplied overnight and Santa had filled each of our stockings.  God devised Christmas mornings to allow parents to teach patience.  We had to take turns each opening one present at a time.  Dad was the worst.  He had to be sure not to destroy any wrapping paper so it could be reused next year.

Moms baked breakfast puffs were once a year delights hours later after all the presents were open and parts already lost or broken.  I choked down the scrambled eggs just so I could get a third cinnamony muffin.  Bacon was wonderful back then..  

I thought we were really poor as a child, but now I see how rich we were in wonderful memories.