LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Does anyone hate adult diapers being associated with elderly and medical care?

Nat

Rather than it being associated with hygiene product because they sure don't put menstrual pads and tampons with medical care and put them on medical webpages for the elderly care. What about diapers that are medical looking, do you hate how they make them look so you prefer a plain white diaper? 

For some reason when I look up adult diapers, I always hate when they are found on medical websites that are for the elderly and stuff and I always think people with medical issues shouldn't have to turn to elderly care for diapers but thank god we have diaper only websites and I am sure some IC people are bothered by having to turn to AB sites for practical diapers because they don't like to be associated with them. 

What do you expect? How much of the world do you thin is part of or concernd with ABDL? Most persons, If they even suspect it exists, consider it a nanoscule (whichit is) rather bizarre sect, mostly what they hear of in jokes. Whereas elderly and meidcal are a far FAR greater set of users of adult diapers

I don’t really go on websites that market to the elderly so it doesn’t affect me personally.

Although my Nana’s nursing home has medical diapers there, something I don’t like to think too much about: dementia is horrible and that being associated diapers isn’t something I like to think too much about.

Still they don’t use any of the brands I use or ones that I see much of in this community, anyway.

As far as medical care ones, which arguably are all the ones that aren’t printed AB ones I don’t tend to think about them being medical, I tend to think about if the product is right for what I want.

Plastic backed, fits ok, etc.

Kind of interesting, I know several people who are getting older and their parents need them now.  They used to joke pretty good about them, but the joking has become less and more serious discussion about them such as trying to find some good quality ones that absorb enough at night in bed.

As with political doings, so with marketing: "Perception is reality". These companies do not created the "perception", they just  use it. Non-elderly uses are percieivd to be too minor to register on the public opinion meter and are, as the engineers say "down in ther with the noise", being a tiny percentage of the potential market the catering to which would cost more money than it would make. Also the largest population increase in history is headed into that category. However, that is balanced by the fact that the 70+ crowd is perceptibly physically younger. I am most often mistaken as 10 years younger than I am by medical personnel; like my Priary Care Physician. I am not really in good shape but I can carry a 20 lb pack for 2-1/2 hours, a 30 lb pack for 1-1/2 hours (and that because I ran out of places to go) and am on my feet routinely walking with a pack and sometimes 12-15 lbs, for 3 to 4 hours straight through, and have done 5 in the last year. When I was in my teens and earlier, you have no idea of how many people died shortly after retiring: But now "60 is the new 40". when I am mostly sitting down, even after a large cup of coffee I can often go from about 2:30 AM when we leave for a delivery in NJ to about 11:45 when we get back into the Darian CT pit stop without having to pee, but If I leave to walk to the the shopping center to do my major grocery shopping and other things that is 1.8 miles, I have to go when I get there and again when I get back, by which time I am starting to do the Gottago Hoochie-koochie. So it is really a mixed bag, but my age group is the most noticeable target for diapers

You need to think of things from the standpoint of a company that makes the product.  I know they are well aware that people of all ages sometimes need diapers or absorbent protective products.  The world is still a place where people are not tolerant of young people who wear diapers.  Even if they know there is a need for a young person to wear diapers, they feel sympathy and a little disgust that this young guy who they may work with or know wets or soils himself.  Fact is, that can turn off a lot of people.  On the other hand, most people have parents who grow older and they can see as time progresses that their parents just can't do what they used to be able to do.  They see age progressing on the elderly and it's clear these people are needing glasses, hearing aids, perhaps a cane to help them walk or other devices.  It's easy for people to make a connection that eventually elderly people also may have bladder problems and need diapers.  Since public perception is such, to maximize profits they market their product towards the elderly.  Seems kind of foolish since the elderly will probably buy them weather the company markets them or not.  The idea is not to focus on the elderly as their only market, it's to get the word out about their product to everyone including young people and mothers of teens with disabilities (as well as AB/DL who just like wearing diapers).  The thing is, people will look at these companies in a more acceptable light if they market to a group of elderly people rather than 20 year olds.  Why?  Because of what I mentioned above.  The fact that people on a whole can recognize how we all age and start having needs for things like glasses, canes and diapers as we get older.

If you look at things, diapers are still marketed towards older people but the pull on disposable underwear and bladder leak pads are marketed for the younger people.  The working class like the fireman who puts on his depends underpants before heading out to fight a fire so "his mind is on his work, not other things" (like those thin underpants will hold up if he's fighting a fire for 4 hours and has to pee really bad).  Depends has gone so far as to try to get everyone to buy their disposable underwear "just in case" or out of sympathy for those who actually need them.  They have used pro football players, housewives, firemen and the average "Joe" on the street.  When you can market disposable pull on underpants to younger folks, then it's logical to focus diapers on the elderly.  Just a marketing strategy that I'm sure they adopted based on market research to maximize profits. 

Yeah, it's a marketing thing, but it doesn't bother me. The fact of the matter is that everyone will get old someday if they make it that far, so just enjoy your youth while you have it ;)

It's not about what someone else thinks or intends, but more of what something does for you :D If you like something then that's enough- you don't have to relate that to anyone else's thoughts on the matter B)

Bettypooh

If I were incontinent, it would bug me if I kept seeing diapers always being associated with elder care because any age can have incontinence. I would also hate it if they kept being associated with special needs too because normal people can be incontinent. Now if diapers were only associated with incontinence only, no problem. You find pads and tampons in the health and beauty section so why not diapers? I know you do sometimes on websites so that is good but sometimes it's what you have to look under to find that section. IC is a disability so I can see why it would be listed under disability, mobile, etc. 

The only reason to be irritated about is if manufacturers assume their primary clientele are the elderly and base the diaper designs on their requirements (lack of mobility, caregiver convenience, and Medicare reimbursement).  That’s what has given us diapers like Prevail, Depends, and the others diapers that require changing every 2-3 hours.  For the most part, we have to import European products to get diapers suited to active non-geriatric adults.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, WetDad said:

Yes! Because:

• I am not "old" just because I need to wear diapers.
  • Depends & company should make diapers for active adults like myself.
  • The stigma of being incontinent needs to go away.

I think the stigma is slowly reducing. I mean look at all the Tena adverts on TV these days. All my family and friends know I am incontinent and no one sees it as a big deal. A lot different to when I was growing up and still wetting my bed every night now that was a big deal and a source of amusement and disgust for others. I was supposed to feel shame and embarrassment but to be honest I couldn't care less. I wet the bed so what.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm more against the stigma that only elderly people need diapers. as if when you hit a certain age your bladder and bowels just let loose! i've personally known plenty of (to my knowledge) non-diaper dependent old folks. not known any younger diaper wearers, personally, but i know they are out there ;) 

7 hours ago, diaperguy85 said:

i'm more against the stigma that only elderly people need diapers. as if when you hit a certain age your bladder and bowels just let loose! i've personally known plenty of (to my knowledge) non-diaper dependent old folks. not known any younger diaper wearers, personally, but i know they are out there ;) 

There shouldn't be any stigma. Really does it matter. 

I couldn’t care less I wear my diapers for my own pleasure. I can understand why they are related to the elderly and to people who need them for medical reasons. But I wear them because it make me feel good, comfortable and in touch with myself. Names and so on doesn’t bother me a bit.

• 7 months later...
On 11/13/2017 at 2:14 PM, Comfortably diapered said:

Med care? No. elderly? Yes, because it isn't only elderly who need them. Many people of all ages have ic and issues of the like. That bugs me alot but it is what it is.

I agree, I am 26 and I have IC issues. I think they should be viewed as acceptable for all ages. There has been people who have never been out of diapers because of problems since birth. It is more common than you think for someone who is still young to develop a condition that renders them unable to control those bodily functions. 

The only thing I hate about diapers is the taboo still resting on them. I know it is considered to be just for the sick, handicapped and elderly but with no apparent reason why

4 hours ago, dlnoir said:

The only thing I hate about diapers is the taboo still resting on them. I know it is considered to be just for the sick, handicapped and elderly but with no apparent reason why

I agree with that too. If someone enjoys wearing them for non medical reason, that should be accepted as well. If it makes you happy then do it.

Yes absolutely coming from someone that wears 24/7 and has a full time job and an active life.

What it comes to is how everyone is raised. If everyone would stop saying to their children that diapers are for babies at potty training it would be much different. What we are told at a young age stays for a much longer time. Then when the time comes that we see others that have to wear diapers to manage with everyday life. We criticize others for wearing diapers because we where criticizes at potty training that diapers where for baby’s so it comes back and gets given to others at adult age. The looks and everything just adds to the difficult situation to the other person that has to wear diapers. Because that is what we were taught. So ask yourself what could of been done differently when teaching our children what diapers are for. Could potty training still have a success with out the lies. Would you lie to your child about something else....on purpose for it to come back. Think about when the time comes when you have to wear diapers and your child that you told that diapers are for babies will they think you are a baby when you have to wear them or they have to help you change your diaper. Just saying

I would have to say that these days, when you go into a CVS or Walgreen's store or even Walmart and look for the adult diaper isle,  it is very hard to find "adult diapers" in this section as it is filled with pads, pantie liners, and pull ups of every style and fashion, being sold as "alternative" underwear in some cases.  This is not the product that elderly folks or truly incontinent are looking for, and for them, they have to search to find something like a tape on diaper in this section.  It seems that most of these people are getting their supplies shipped to their door step these days from the home health groups that are very active to get this repeat business.

So to suggest that the products mentioned above are marketed to the elderly seems to be in contradiction to what I see in the drug store chains these days.  Even if you find a real adult diaper in a store, it is typically a store brand, and often not worth the cost as it is not really an alternative for a good diaper, which is almost always sold by health care groups which have their own distribution chain and thrive from online purchasing.

4 hours ago, Kenseibert said:

Yes absolutely coming from someone that wears 24/7 and has a full time job and an active life.

What it comes to is how everyone is raised. If everyone would stop saying to their children that diapers are for babies at potty training it would be much different. What we are told at a young age stays for a much longer time. Then when the time comes that we see others that have to wear diapers to manage with everyday life. We criticize others for wearing diapers because we where criticizes at potty training that diapers where for baby’s so it comes back and gets given to others at adult age. The looks and everything just adds to the difficult situation to the other person that has to wear diapers. Because that is what we were taught. So ask yourself what could of been done differently when teaching our children what diapers are for. Could potty training still have a success with out the lies. Would you lie to your child about something else....on purpose for it to come back. Think about when the time comes when you have to wear diapers and your child that you told that diapers are for babies will they think you are a baby when you have to wear them or they have to help you change your diaper. Just saying

I agree, on what we get told about diapers at a young age. I think it has a large bearing on us, as individuals, and also on society in general. I’ve heard my mother say things like, “babies wear diapers”, “everyone is going to laugh at you, if you still wet your pants”, “you’re to old, to still be in a diapers”, “do you want me, to have to put you in a diaper, like a baby”. She liked to use shame, as a tool of motivation. I am 53 years old, and those phrase are still clear in my mind! Of corse I know better, and that it’s not true, but there still is a small bit in my mind, that says to this day, diapers are not good for olders, only babies have to wear diapers. I don’t hold any bad feeling over this, well, not bad enough to lay any blame on my mom, or anyone for doing so. People want their children to succeed, and achieve certain goals, achieving control, and learning to use the toilet is one of the milestones. We as a society, want that achievement to go as fast, and smoothly, as possible. So, the idea is, to use whatever tools at your disposal, to have it made easiest. Maybe at the cost of, some later psychology repercussions. But, that’s not important to a mom (or dad), who wants a 2 1/2 year old out of diapers, now!