LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

My Experiences From Wearing Diapers My Part 2

Part 2.

"How do I wear diapers in public and how can I be discreet when doing so?"

This is another question that seems to be  asked continuously on our message board.  I have contemplated making a generic response so that I can cut and paste my response over and over again.

I wear diapers in public everyday.  This includes at work where I am amongst co-workers and in meetings with my bosses.  When I am on the road on a service call I am diapered through airport security and on the airplane ride to a customer's site.  I climb around industrial machines and meet with high level executives all while diapered.  I wear diapers when I am fishing and I wear diapers to the family Christmas get togethers.  So what is in common with all the places I am diapered in public?  The answer is no one around me knows I am wearing diapers.

So how is this accomplished?  First and foremost you have to have confidence.  That starts by accepting yourself wearing diapers.  Being shameful or embarrassed while wearing diapers will only complicate things when wearing diapers in public and could possibly even lead to the people around you finding out.

Before your adventure into public wearing diapers begins and your goal is to be discreet then there are steps you need to take before you walk out the door.

Your diaper.

It all starts with your diaper.  I believe that the diaper you choose to wear does not matter.  I have worn everything from Always Discreet panties to thick overnight Rearz Princess diapers in public without the person next to me noticing a thing.  Sure, it is much easier to be discreet if you are wearing a simple pull up or a thin daytime diaper.  Yet should your desire be to use your diapers then a thinner and less reliable diaper may not be so discreet when it starts to leak.  

Crinkle factor.

Everyone knows what the sound of a crinkly diaper is and if you want to be discreet you will have to silent your diaper down to prevent heads from turning.  What is your diaper made of?  Both re-usable cloth diapers and cloth backed disposable diapers are almost completely silent where as a thick plastic backed diaper can be extremely noisy.  Even the nosiest plastic backed diapers can become silent if you wear the right clothing which I will discuss later.  I recommend that you walk around fully clothed in a silent place to identify any excessive crinkling before heading out the door.  Ambient noise hides most diaper crinkle as I have worn the loudest disposable diapers with a simple pair of basketball shorts without anyone noticing.  Honestly the only place I know I been caught due to the crinkle of my diaper was walking down a hotel hallway.

Diaper capacity.

Not everyone uses their diaper in public and that is fine.  Having a dry diaper helps to be much more discreet because you do not have change, worry about leaks, and deal with a saggy diaper.  If you plan on using your diaper in public discreetly you have to consider your diaper's capacity.  This really is decided by the availability for you to change.  If you can change every two hours than a thinner diaper or pull-up will work great.  If you need your diaper to last an entire workshift then it will definitely need to be a thick overnight diaper.

So what is my routine before going out into the big bad world while wearing diapers?

Currently I am only wearing diapers that are pink which include Rearz Princess, DC Amor, and My Diaper Princess.  As a male, I risk embarrassment, humiliation, and consequences should somone see my diapers.  The same could be said should you desire to wear diapers with a babyish print.  I have contemplated wearing all white diapers when at work and still may end up doing so.  I do recommend this as if you were caught then people would more than likely figure it was for medical purposes.  Yet pink diapers make me feel good so that is what I wear fulltime despite the risks.  

I always wear Rearz Princess diapers at work which interestingly enough are probably some of the thickest diapers on the market.  In my job I never know when I will get the opportunity to change my diaper so I insure I wear a high capacity diaper to be safe.  

When in public it is also important to identify the location of all the single toliet restrooms should you want to change your diaper in complete privacy.  At my work we have private restrooms but I try not to change there.  One time I took my backpack into the restroom with me and it drew attention.  I know within two miles of my work there is a BP, Speedway, Subway, and Dickey's BBQ Pit that all have single restrooms.  Although I am not shy about changing in a non private restroom I do try and use one as much as possible.

Wearing pink diapers means that my diapers can never be exposed.  I accomplish this by wearing an all black onesie.  No, I do not wear a onesie all the time when diapered in public but I will always have one on at work or around family.

How many times do you see woman reaching back behind them and feeling around their pants waistline to make sure their panties are not exposed for the world to see?  As they do so it always draws attention to themselves.  The same is true if you are wearing diapers.  Constantly checking the back of your pants  will make people curious and may even lead to suspicion that you are diapered.  Wearing a onesie completely prevents the concern of diaper exposure which to me is essential to being discreet.

There are a lot of different onesies out there.  Females are lucky because a bodysuit is normal apparel in a woman's wardrobe and is perfect for hiding their diapers.  I started by wearing pre-made onesies but soon found out that they just did not fit correctly.  I found a gentlemen on Etsy that would make me a custom onesie in any color for $20.00 which I thought was very reasonable.  He had me wear my thickest diaper and take every measurement possible.  He sends you a how to measurement guide which makes measuring very simple.  A custom fit is important because not only does a onesie conceal your diaper if fitted properly it will keep your diaper nice and tight against your body as your diaper gets heavy from use.  The is very important as it helps to  prevent leakage from your diaper's leg openings.

I recommend purchasing onesies in dark colors.  Lighter colors have tendacy to be semi-transparent and it is possible that someone could see your diaper through the material.  Darker colors also hide leaks much better although it is unlikely a leak would occur in a place that was visible to someone in public.  On the rare occasion my onesie gets wet from a leak it has always been at the leg openings.  One more very important lessons learned about wearing a onesie.  If you decide to sit on the potty while wearing one pay attention that the crotch tail does not end up inside the toliet bowl.  If it does it ends up being quite a mess.  I personally roll mine up and tuck it into the inside of my onesie before sitting down on the potty.

When wearing a very thick diaper it does make it harder for concealment.  Specific steps need to be taken to minimize your diaper bulge.  What I find best is a pair of diaper fixing pants made by Abena.  They can be purchased at XP medical and look like a pair of white, high waisted underwear.  I wear a pair over top of my diaper and plastic panties.  They are very tight which helps to smooth out your diaper profile and pull up above your belly button which is great for concealment should you choose to not wear a onesie.  Fixing pants also help to reduce noise.  Similar results can be obtained by wearing compression pants or a bathing suit.

A good pair of plastic panties is a must.  No matter how good your diapers are leaks will sometimes happen.  When they do plastic panties will keep those leaks dicreet.  I personally like to wear more traditional plastic panties as it reminds me more of being a baby.  There are some great ones made from PUL which are breathable and look more like a pair of regular panties.  Comfort is very important as any chaffing can lead to a funny walk which in turn leads to people turning heads.  Thicker elastic around the waistband and leg openings is paramount.  I recommend to spend the money on quality plastic panties as cheaper ones decinerate quickly. 

So you have your diaper on, your plastic panties, your fitting pants, and a onesie.  Now it is time to get dressed!  All of these extra layers you have on means you need a pair of bigger pants.  I recommend at minimum one size bigger than you typically wear as well as a relaxed fit.  Also, when buying pants, go to the store fully diapered and see what fits.  If you are fortunate enough to have a significant other bring them along for their opinion.  Once again, the material should be dark should a leak occur.  

Shirts should be left untucked whenever possible.  A shirt that covers your diaper area means more discreetness especially when your diaper starts to get full.

Now you are ready to meet the public. 

To help gain confidence when wearing diapers in public take baby steps.  Go to your post office box wearing a diaper and retrieve the mail.  Go out to to store late at night to run a quick errand.  Put yourself in a comfortable situation where you are not surrounded by a crowd of people.  With each and every trip you should get more and more comfortable wearing diapers in public.  

These are tips that work for me.  Everyone has their own style of wearing diapers.  I hope some of this helps those that are on the fence about wearing diapers in public.  Wear proud!

Step 1-My diaper 

20171031_065345_1024x768.jpg

Step 2- Plastic Panties

20171031_065420_1024x768.jpg

Step 3-  Abena Fixing Pants

20171031_065444_1024x768.jpg

Step 4-  Black Onesie

20171031_065516_1024x768.jpg

Step 5-  Pants At Least One Size Bigger

20171031_065545_1024x768.jpg

Step 6-  Shirt Untucked

20171031_065602_1024x768.jpg

• Like 1
On 11/6/2017 at 6:32 PM, MarkSmith said:

I found a gentlemen on Etsy that would make me a custom onesie in any color for $20.00 which I thought was very reasonable. 

Hey Mark,

Can you send me a link to this onesie guy? I would love to get one that fits me!

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2017 at 8:54 PM, MarkSmith said:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DHCABB

He does not have any listed now but message him and tell him what you need and he will work with you.  Please mention my name!

Mark,

Great article written by someone who know his way around a diaper. I am VERY interested in wearing a diaper to work on a regular (daily) basis and your advice will go a long way

I followed your advice and bought several pair of fixing pants. I see you wear them over your plastic pants. I prefer to wear them under the plastic pants but over the diaper. Do you think it makes a difference? I like seeing the colors and fabric. What a hobby!!

On 1/2/2018 at 3:58 PM, Howdy21 said:

Mark,

Great article written by someone who know his way around a diaper. I am VERY interested in wearing a diaper to work on a regular (daily) basis and your advice will go a long way

I followed your advice and bought several pair of fixing pants. I see you wear them over your plastic pants. I prefer to wear them under the plastic pants but over the diaper. Do you think it makes a difference? I like seeing the colors and fabric. What a hobby!!

I wear them over my protective panties so if my diaper leaks it does not wet my fixing pants.  I like to wear them tight and sometimes I have them pulled up so high that they penetrate my diaper's leg opening and get wet so be careful.

• 4 months later...

The following pictures are an example of why it can be difficult sometimes to change in public.  This public restroom is at a major airport.  The first problem was that the lock on the handicap stall was broken and completely removed.  This created a nice peep hole for anyone to look through and observe your diaper change.  I contenplated using the stall anyway but decided that it would be best to use a regular stall instead.  Not only was the stall very cramped but the stalls had large cracks between the stall doors making it impossible to change my diaper discreetly. 

20180505_061541_1024x1365.jpg

20180505_061519_1024x1365.jpg

20180505_062128_1024x1365.jpg

I had to lean against one of the stall walls with the other stall occupied making it impossible for the person in the other stall to not know I was putting on a diaper.  At this point anyone in the restroom knew I was changing and I thought to myself I would have just been better off changing in the broken handicapped stall.  It was nothing at this point to walk out of the stall with my used diaper in hand and throw it away at the sinks.  I always try to find the best and most discreet place to change but today it just was not so.

You should try changing while standing- it's not as tough as it might seem. Take careful note of where your diaper lands on the middle of your body in front. Also take careful note where the tapes land in relation to the padding. These are critical points to know before trying ;)

With one hand holding the front center of the diaper to that spot, spread your legs and use the other hand to push the crotch into place making sure the edges are right. Now close your legs which will keep the diaper positioned correctly. reach to the back on one side and pull it around front. Using your other hand undo any wrinkles etc till that's right. With that other hand now pull the front in place and tape that side- for me top first works best. Tape only one, then tape the other side similarly. Go back to the first side and fasten the other tape(s) then do the last side :)

The keys are to have everything smoothed out and in the proper place, keeping your torso straight throughout the process,  and in the taping pattern alternating from side to side. Once you get the hang of this you'll find it to be quick and easy giving an almost perfect fit every time :D Practice at home until you get the hang of making the tapes tight enough so that you can remedy any looseness without hassle. You'll probably get it lopsided a time or two early on but pay attention to how that happened and compensate a bit the next time and soon you'll have it down to an art B)

Doing it this way I can get a diaper on in under 30 seconds anywhere and if done standing in front of the toilet in a public stall the view under the door shows my feet and pants about where they'd be if I were sitting on the toilet. If you cut or tear the plastic instead of ripping the tapes off of the used diaper it's also nearly noiseless too. Plus it works anywhere. Now if I could only get this to work this well with cloth diapers....  I still do those far better when laying down :whistling:

Bettypooh

When I have to change in a public stall I also do it standing.I position my diaper with both hands behind my back.  When I have my diaper in position, I lean my back into the wall, pinning the diaper in place.  Then reach between my legs and pull the front of my diaper up, tape and done.  I have only done this in a nice and clean public washroom, one at my old place of work, so I would be a little squeemish with touching the walls in a public bathroom.

11 hours ago, Bettypooh said:

You should try changing while standing- it's not as tough as it might seem. Take careful note of where your diaper lands on the middle of your body in front. Also take careful note where the tapes land in relation to the padding. These are critical points to know before trying ;)

With one hand holding the front center of the diaper to that spot, spread your legs and use the other hand to push the crotch into place making sure the edges are right. Now close your legs which will keep the diaper positioned correctly. reach to the back on one side and pull it around front. Using your other hand undo any wrinkles etc till that's right. With that other hand now pull the front in place and tape that side- for me top first works best. Tape only one, then tape the other side similarly. Go back to the first side and fasten the other tape(s) then do the last side :)

The keys are to have everything smoothed out and in the proper place, keeping your torso straight throughout the process,  and in the taping pattern alternating from side to side. Once you get the hang of this you'll find it to be quick and easy giving an almost perfect fit every time :D Practice at home until you get the hang of making the tapes tight enough so that you can remedy any looseness without hassle. You'll probably get it lopsided a time or two early on but pay attention to how that happened and compensate a bit the next time and soon you'll have it down to an art B)

Doing it this way I can get a diaper on in under 30 seconds anywhere and if done standing in front of the toilet in a public stall the view under the door shows my feet and pants about where they'd be if I were sitting on the toilet. If you cut or tear the plastic instead of ripping the tapes off of the used diaper it's also nearly noiseless too. Plus it works anywhere. Now if I could only get this to work this well with cloth diapers....  I still do those far better when laying down :whistling:

Bettypooh

LOL, my post must have been misleading.  I only change my diaper while standing.  In my post I mentioned leaning against the stall, that is always done from the standing position.  I use the stall or a wall to keep my diaper held in place and I can get it taped very tight this way.  Even at home, I only change myself standing up unless of course my wife is changing my diaper.  The picture was taken in a sitting position to simply show how much room in the stall there was not.

I do not care about the noise my diaper makes or who sees me personally.  I try to be discreet simply because I do not want to make other people in the bathroom uncomfortable.  Using the potty should be a time of peace not being bothered by the crinkly sounds of a diaper change in the stall next door.

7 hours ago, Brudda Voodu said:

When I have to change in a public stall I also do it standing.I position my diaper with both hands behind my back.  When I have my diaper in position, I lean my back into the wall, pinning the diaper in place.  Then reach between my legs and pull the front of my diaper up, tape and done.  I have only done this in a nice and clean public washroom, one at my old place of work, so I would be a little squeemish with touching the walls in a public bathroom.

This is the only way I change my diaper as well.  The only difference is I fold my diaper in half and place between my legs with it folded, creating a nice pee pee channel in my diaper.

I need to practice more.  I've tried nappying up while standing but found it really difficult.  And because I like changing lying down I've been doing that instead at home.  Note to self: change standing up at home until I can do it properly.  There was less of a problem when I wore pull-ups, even though it meant taking off my trousers & plastic pants.  In theory a nappy should be easier to change, as I can leave them round my ankles.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...