LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store
Sign in to follow this  
Firefly 35

How to manage impossible professors?

So far, I've had some profs (and still do) that will do anything they possibly can to force their opinion on their students at the expense of everyone's quality of education.

^coming from the same situation as Xander (though I never taught poli sci), I pretty much have to echo what he said. 

Given that you've listed your age as 19, though, I suspect that you're taking pretty large lecture hall classes. In all honesty, there's not a whole lot you can do about that. Although, if this/these professors are teaching smaller classes then you might want to raise your hand and offer a counterpoint (totally depending on the professor though). 

I'm also curious to know what exactly you're complaining about, because that info would really help color in the situation. If your prof is trying to use First World/American Feminism and apply it to a situation where Postcolonial Feminism is more appropriate, then I can have some sympathy especially if they're insistant on their take. That prof would need to update their toolbox of knowledge.

If, however, you're upset because your professor just made some off-hand comment about how they're upset over (theoretical, but probable) recent American Vanguard activity around your campus, then I would definitely side with the prof on that one and recommend that you make sure you have all the pieces of information. If that were to be the case, it's totally normal for you to feel estranged and upset.

On 1/18/2018 at 2:25 AM, WakkoWannaBe said:

^coming from the same situation as Xander (though I never taught poli sci), I pretty much have to echo what he said. 

Given that you've listed your age as 19, though, I suspect that you're taking pretty large lecture hall classes. In all honesty, there's not a whole lot you can do about that. Although, if this/these professors are teaching smaller classes then you might want to raise your hand and offer a counterpoint (totally depending on the professor though). 

I'm also curious to know what exactly you're complaining about, because that info would really help color in the situation. If your prof is trying to use First World/American Feminism and apply it to a situation where Postcolonial Feminism is more appropriate, then I can have some sympathy especially if they're insistant on their take. That prof would need to update their toolbox of knowledge.

If, however, you're upset because your professor just made some off-hand comment about how they're upset over (theoretical, but probable) recent American Vanguard activity around your campus, then I would definitely side with the prof on that one and recommend that you make sure you have all the pieces of information. If that were to be the case, it's totally normal for you to feel estranged and upset.

I think my original post got cut a bit when the site rolled back.

Anyway, from my experience, things like these are what constitute a professor as impossible (and all of these really did happen at one point):

1. A professor blatanty refusing to honor testing accomidations that I had already been approved for.

2. The whole math department at my university redacting the professor's names on the course registration page so that students would not know who they were signing up for.

3. Almost all of the faculty/staff/administrators and even my advisor knowing about the above problem (#2), yet making zero effort to fix it.

4. Having multiple professors who are known for being highly incompetent keep their jobs year after year while dozens of other faculty and staff (and I mean dozens) get laid off.  

5. Having to buy this stupid remote thing for $50 and use it in order to get participation credit in class for work that I already do.

6. The stupid remote thing ceasing to work after one year unless you pay more money.

7. The provost of your university being involved in a scandal that attracted media attention, yet being put on "paid suspension" for 2 years instead of being fired and then suing the university for trying to fire him.

I don't mean to complain, but these are situations that are completely unaccpetable and need to be fixed soon.