LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Medical Bills be crazy!

DailyDi

• 1 month later...

In the UK we have a National Health Service which provides all basic healthcare free at the point of delivery & is paid for directly from taxation.In the US it seems you spend an inordinate amount of time & money & resources haggling over ludicrous personal bills involving the healthcare provider, account managers, lawyers & insurance companies.This causes an enormous amount of unhealthy stress to the sick person & their loved ones...In the UK people spend a lot of time trying to protect our NHS by battling politicians who want to bring in a system based on the US model ..usually through the back door ..Why? ..Follow the money !!

There is no one perfect system, I think everyone can agree on that. I favor a National health program of some sort, however. One thing is sure, no one should have to go deep in to debt, or face financial ruin, for even common aliments. 

I can’t express how much it peeves me, to see the constant barrage of pharmaceutical TV commercials, telling ME, what medications I should run, and tell my doctor to prescribe for me. There was a time, (in the US), when that was for the doctor to tell me. The doctor knew best, the doctor put in the time at school, to be the one to decide what drugs would be good for me. 

The pharmaceutical companies want you to think like, you’re asking for candy, and they want you to buy their brand of candy. 

And for people outside the USA, yes it’s true, here they advertise on TV, and everywhere for what drugs you need to take. Most of the tv ads are for drugs, and they are the longest tv ads you will see. Why? Big money! They make the big money, and can afford to spend it, and the sick pay through the nose, and every other hole, for healthcare. 

There was a time where pharmacuticle companies were prevented from advertising on tv. I think they could advertise in print ads but I’m not sure about that. Lawyers were prevented by law from advertising except in the phone book I think. I think the lawyers were the catalyst for the change to anything goes. I have trouble with this because I believe in freedom of speech but at the same time I think the results of the change were for the worse.

Hugs,

Freta

Medical care is expensive for so many reasons, one being greed.  Greed from insurance, hospitals, drug manufacturers, doctors and even paitents.  By that I mean any paitent can start a lawsuit over just about anything to try and get millions of dollars.  Some are legit but some are not.  Doctor's have to pay high rates for malpractice insurance, some so high that some doctor's have retired rather than pay it.  I can tell you if you don't have insurance, you will pay a much higher cost for your care.  Doctor's submit a bill, your insurance company will tell them what of that bill they will pay for the procedure.  I have received many bills in the past that, for example show $2,000 billed by the doctor, $1,200 paid by the insurance, the balance erased.  I believe doctor's know what an insurance company will pay for a specific procedure but bill higher anyway, knowing the insurance company will knock it down.  If you have no insurance, tough!  Pay what the doctor inflates.

I had basic insurance a few years ago that I paid $199 a month for, up from $179.  I had a $1,500 deductible and co-pay after that until I reached $3,500 out of pocket.  Price went up to $252 a month, then $279 a month.  Eventually it went up to $379 a month, my deductible went up to $5,000 a month with out of pocket $8,500 a month!  Anyone who believes getting rid of the Affordable Health Care Act will lower their premiums is wrong!  Health insurance companies will use any excuse to raise your premiums and raise your deductible and out of pocket expenses.  Do away with it, cost goes up.  Change it, cost goes up.  Add it, cost goes up.  Completely start from scratch with a new plan, cost goes up!  It's not about affordable health care plans, it's about insurance companies using any excuse they can to raise your rates.

As far as pharmacuticle companies advertising on TV, yes it is big business.  So many times I have been in the doctor's waiting room when a salesman has been there with his bulging briefcase of free samples for the doctor.  Personally, I have mixed feelings about it.  On one hand, getting information out to people that there may be a new medicine that might help their situation is a good thing if they ask their doctor about it.  On the other hand, I have to think some of these companies are rushing a product out on the market without it being refined enough.  Makes me wonder how many government officials at the Food and Drug administration are being paid off to approve a medication.  Read or listen to the possible side effects of most of these advertised medications.  It may get rid of your post nasle drip, but you could have dry mouth, migraines, elevated blood pressure, hives, shortness of breath, kidney failier, amputation and even death.  I'd rather let my nose drip!  Then you have a drug that has shown real promise in eradicating a form of cancer for terminal paitents but it hasn't been approved yet as it "needs more testing".  These people are going to die anyway, so why not give them the chance one way or the other to use a drug that has shown great promise in curing their cancer?  It's a screwed up system for sure.  You wonder why the cost of these medications is so high?  Someone has to recover the money they pay for paying off the government to approve these drugs and then the cost to advertise them on TV. 

6 hours ago, diapersalways said:

if the debt is still owned by the hospital and hasnt been sold off to a 3rd party collecting agency, then you can send in 25$ a month and the debt will never appear on your credit report as long as you dont miss a payment,

rather then having insurance, i just pay the $25 a month, in my mind its basically my cheap medical insurance.

For how long?

On 10/23/2017 at 6:46 PM, DailyDi said:

First bill is in for my Dad's care.... $68,123.04

First off... they couldn't have called it a wash on the four cents?

My helicopter ride, 9 days in the hospital over $168,000.00 for a shattered left tibia surgery. 3 years of rehabilitation another $88,000.00. Bi-lateral shoulder surgeries $33,000.00 each. It's a racket.

• 1 month later...

Medical bills are stressful. I didn't pay my insurance cause I didn't have the cash at the time and my insurance lapsed. On Christmas Eve I Drove into the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack. After 5 hours, nitro almost dropping my blood pressure to low, and lots of tests. I felt better and they wanted me to stay. I left cause I couldn't afford it. Bill was $3325.60. Didn't feel well after that but was trying to get my insurance back before I went in again. Unfortunately I had a TIA (mini)stroke a couple weeks later. Spent 3days in the hospital and many many tests. Very worried about cost and my life. An Angel came to my rescue. A lady from some county service came in and helped with the paperwork. She got me emergency insurance to cover that visit, helped with my other one some how and has been helping push my other insurance papers through. I am so great full. She is my angel. I have been able to sit home and heal and go to my multiple Dr visits to make sure I am ok and will heal without worrying. Cannot thank all of them involved enough and happy to be alive. Still not all healed but feeling much better. I bless my stars I don't have the bills some due on here. May prayers are with you.

• Like 1