LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Is this lifestyle considered a mental issue?

I love my diapers don't get me wrong, they bring me so much happiness. But do you think this could possibly be a mental issue that we in this community has? Since we don't know when or why it started. It basically just happened one day. I had a rough childhood growing up and grew up without knowing my real dad and at one point I was bullied in school, so I'm not sure if that helped to contribute to this or not. Also I witnessed my grandmother who helped to raise me, pretty much pass away in front of me when I was 10 and when I was 19 I found my aunt dead. That stuff can really stick with you.

Only if it interferes with your ability to function in the world. But that is true of anything. I guess that is true of anything that becomes a "lifestyle". I'm an atheist and "lifestyle" sounds suspiciously like "religion" in that it implies some kind of conformism to me and I am, by nature a "free spirit"

For some people it might be. Those people who can't separate their ABDL life from their regular life.

It is listed in the DSM but people often mistake what that actually means... Terms and conditions listed in the DSM do not mean they are mental health problems or things that need to be corrected, they are listed so that all psychologists and people in that field have terms they can use to help classify people. It is like a dictionary, it means that instead of having to explain something like a diaper fetish every time they write a report they can use one or two words. It doesn't mean it is considered a mental illness.

The psychological definition of 'disorder' is pretty much no more complex than an activity that brings DISORDER to your life. When we named regression Adult Infantile Regression (AIR) we gave it an optional fourth letter - D for Disorder. It is optional because for many people - probably most - being regressive is not something that negatively impacts their lives. But there are certainly some (and my baby is one) for whom the regression is so strong and consuming that it certainly can become... a disorder.

I hope that helps.

"Mental issue" is a crude term. I prefer to call it a coping mechanism. To outsiders it would appear to be a mental issue but in truth, it is a very safe and healthy way to deal with stress. It only becomes an issue when it affects your ability to function in an "adult" world or when it becomes so addicting that you can't bear to be away from it.

• Like 2

I say it's only a mental issue if it impacts your life and your functioning. Anything can turn into a mental issue if it controls your life and affects how you function.

• Like 2
On 3/28/2017 at 5:14 AM, Spokane Girl said:

I say it's only a mental issue if it impacts your life and your functioning. Anything can turn into a mental issue if it controls your life and affects how you function.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...