LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Grammar Pet Peeves

This is actually pretty interesting to read up on. I'm not sure if this is a generational issue, but most of the pet peeves stated do not bother me in the least. I'm 23, say "like" religiously (though not stereotypically), often use non-serious

I tend to be a bit of a grammar freak too, but if I can keep the bad grammar out of my own posts I think I'm doing well. I do not have the time, energy, or motivation to try to police what anyone else writes...but I notice it. In an online forum the way someone writes tells me a bit about who he or she is.

This is a weird one maybe? Drives me nuts when people say "Legos". Lego is the plural form of Lego. I try not to be judgmental though as I know I had to have called them "Legos" at some point in my youth before I knew better, oh also calling initialisms "acronyms".

12 hours ago, gah!ghost said:

This is a weird one maybe? Drives me nuts when people say "Legos". Lego is the plural form of Lego. I try not to be judgmental though as I know I had to have called them "Legos" at some point in my youth before I knew better, oh also calling initialisms "acronyms".

• Like 1
19 hours ago, gah!ghost said:

It can be nice to break up two related thoughts into two sentences when one or both are already overly long or complex. For example, "I was very hungry yesterday due to not having had a single thing to eat until around 8pm. So, when I finally was able to sit down to eat, I must admit, I ate way too much food." sort of thing. If you had that all as one sentence it would be a bit much. You could argue that you should break all of that up into smaller sentences. But, to me, that is more of a style thing than a grammar thing.

13 hours ago, gah!ghost said:

What you're saying is personal opinion. It's not a grammatical rule. It is perfectly acceptable to connect two independent clauses with a conjunction. It's just not terribly common and there's a popular belief that it's incorrect. I think it's totally logical and even sometimes helpful to let the reader know the two ideas are linked through the use of a conjunction, even if they're two sentences.

You are right, it is a personal opinion.

I correct grammar and spelling for my living; I am the ultimate grammar Nazi. However, as a linguist, i favour descriptivism over prescriptivism. The simple fact of the matter is that languages change and evolve; we don't speak like our ancestors from 1746, and our descendents in 2274 will not sound like us at all. Moreover, a standard national language is something quite arbitrarily chosen, summed up in the linguists' joke that