LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Nightmare Scenario: The Death of Choice

So i posted a thread wondering about the future of plastic backed diapers on ADISC so I figured I'd also share it with community here. Not sure if this sub forum is entirely the correct place to post this, but if it isn't feel free to move it to wherever it fits best. Here goes:

I want to preface this by saying that different people have different tastes and preferences and some people like plastic while others like cloth backed and that's ok. What's not ok is eliminating choice and alienating one segment of a market or another. People should always have choices available so they can pick and choose what they prefer. That said, why am I so worried as to word the title of this thread the way I did?

I was talking to a friend about how most medical oriented adult diaper manufacturers are switching fully to cloth backed and eliminating any and all plastic options altogether. This is distressing because people should be able to have at least a basic degree of choice in what type of product they prefer. No one segment of people should be alienated by having their choice taken away.

That friend told me that HDIS told her that about 90% of medical adult diaper manufacturers have fully switched over to cloth backing. I don't know how accurate that percentage is nor whether it applies worldwide or just in the US, but it sounds scary to people like me who prefer plastic backed and would love to continue to have the option to wear and use plastic backed products.

One issue I see pointed out is the vast majority of the full protection incontinence market consists of caregivers and long term care institutions who more often than not don't actually use the products they buy but instead buy them for others who do use them. This makes these people susceptible to marketing because they don't personally use these products and thus don't know any better. They have to go by what companies tell them is good or works well and often times that can be more misleading marketing than actual helpful information.

As I said before, I don't mind cloth backed or the people who prefer it but I want everyone to have options. I think it would be just as unfair to the people who prefer cloth backed to have their options stamped out in favor a majority move to plastic as it would be to people like me to have our options stamped out in favor of a majority move to cloth backed. I want choices because I want both sides to be satisfied.

On to the actual title. I'm worried my biggest fear may come true in that one day all medical adult diaper manufacturers worldwide will switch to cloth backed leaving us with ABDL companies as the only avenue for my product of choice, which doesn't sound so bad until you consider the possibility that it could end up becoming an expensive oligopoly because it's such a niche market with not nearly enough competition to offset the high prices created by such high demand and low supply for such a niche market. I'm worried that for IC folks who prefer plastic and pay out of pocket, plastic backed adult diapers will become so prohibitively expensive that we either have to live with cloth backed or just switch to actual cloth diapers. So how realistic is this nightmare scenario 10 years from now? 20? 30?

More importantly what can be done to ensure that both sides of the fence have as many options as possible?

Institutions buy was is least expense and what their main office tells them. Many are under bid contracts and if cloth backed diapers are less expensive and perform as well as plastic backed products,

People have the power to change things!

It is only very sad that people are forced to inferior choises becouse of the finacial aspect. Marketing, ignorance and indifference does everything else.

Money rules everything, if you quit buying or start complaining they will listen eventually. I peronally have written mails to Abena and Tena compaining over the removal of the plastic version and i warned Abena that if they ever quit with the slip 4 plastic (my favorite night time diaper) that they would lose a costumer and i also made it very clear that even if the new product was perfect i still would not buy it becouse i hate the feeling of being forced into something i don't want.

Tena had quit making plastic diapers, but has come around from that whith the slip active. I wish i could see the sales records from past years becouse i know for sure they lost a big part of their sales from it and i'll bet that will be the only reason the active came on the markt.

So i repeat, people have the power, it is only very difficult to act like it...