LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Is incontinence a disability?

On 3/13/2017 at 2:01 PM, babyleanna75 said:

I'm incontinent and it didn't hamper me from working sure I had to stop what I was doing to change diapers.. I know people that have both sides of incontinence and still working. To flat out call it a disability is like calling someonewwith glasses disable. JJust likethey use gglasses as a tool to see weuuse medicine diapers or surgeries to cope with it. I also know people who are legally blind or deaf that work and don't claim to be disabled. What it comes down to is the will of the human. I filed for disability cause I was having trouble with the back and mental health to be able to support me yes that makes me disabled incontinence dose not stop me.

On one hand, incontinence doesn't impair one's movement or senses, and tools such as diapers and odor-killing pills make it so that incontinent people should be able to lead lives not too different from others nowadays. In that sense, it isn't inherently a debilitating disability in a physical sense. However, I think the sheer amount of societal mistreatment that incontinent people suffer from due their condition more than justifies the legal protection that being counted as a disability gives them.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe that urinary and bowel incontinence are, objectively, disabilities.

I never personally felt I was disabled when I was only urinary incontinent - I'd been living as a lifestyle diaper wearer before that so there was minimal change to my routine, and even going into diapers full-time was a relatively small change from being in underwear, in my opinion.

I've since lost my messing control, however, and that's a more complex beast. I'd say I am (mildly) disabled by it - I have to interrupt work or social activity to change as soon as practical, and I can't easily do it in a normal bathroom stall like I can with wet diapers.

7 hours ago, Kaliborio said:

I believe that urinary and bowel incontinence are, objectively, disabilities.

I never personally felt I was disabled when I was only urinary incontinent - I'd been living as a lifestyle diaper wearer before that so there was minimal change to my routine, and even going into diapers full-time was a relatively small change from being in underwear, in my opinion.

I've since lost my messing control, however, and that's a more complex beast. I'd say I am (mildly) disabled by it - I have to interrupt work or social activity to change as soon as practical, and I can't easily do it in a normal bathroom stall like I can with wet diapers.

Would you say that interrupting work or a social activity to change you diaper is an actual disability, or more of a major inconvienience?

9 hours ago, rusty pins said:

Would you say that interrupting work or a social activity to change you diaper is an actual disability, or more of a major inconvienience?

I worked taking care of developmentally disabled patients and some of them were incontinent either fecal or urinary and they still continued to work the Social Security Administration does not consider incontinence as a disability but as stated previously a symptom of a disability. I was recently diagnosed with MS and I used to go 12 plus hours before I had to use the bathroom urinate. Since my last attack when I've had to urinate I have five minutes before I have an accident for this reason I tend to stay home. And when I do go out I always carry extra incontinence briefs. I was approved for SSI in 2012 for mental issues and this past year I was just diagnosed with MS after my review for Social Security which is still on the appeal process. And for those who are not familiar with MS most of the treatments are available are injection there are three treatments that are available that are oral meaning pills and now there are four as of the 28th of last month that are infusion all these meds cost about 60 thousand year plus and US dollars at wholesale cost. And do the Suicidal Tendencies and a phobia of shots I refuse injections as a form of treatment. While my mental health alone enough to be considered disabled certain conditions of my mental health in and of themselves can be ruled out as non disabling, MS in and of itself it's considered non disabling unless there are other issues going on as well. The Social Security Act is very particular when it comes to disabling conditions and for those who live out of the United States your governments may also have similar policies. And for those veterans here in the United States the Veterans Affairs Department has different guidelines for disability than those for Social Security as some of you may well know.....hope this helps clarify some questions and answers...sorry for being so long winded

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

On ?3?/?31?/?2017 at 6:45 PM, Spokane Girl said:

I think an IC person might have limitations like standing in new York Times square for New Years because what if they needed to change their diaper or what if they poop? They would lose their spot. Or they might not be able to travel because how are they going to get more diapers while they are away or what if they get stuck at the airport because flights get cancelled? They don't sell adult diapers there. What about hiking? How are they going to change or dispose their used diaper? Unless they want to carry it with them. They used to not be able to go swimming but now they can because of swim diapers. It's not like they can hitch hike

• 2 weeks later...

It's all about context and definition. Legally, urinary incontinence isn't a disability alone, while fecal incontinence could be in a workplace setting. That would be more likely dealt with as an occupational issue with a person given training to work in a similar field where it wasn't a problem if that was possible. Employers must reasonably accommodate your incontinence needs but if that is not possible they can't be held liable for that (such as production line work or ticket-taking at events where you can't leave your position). So the context makes a difference, as does the legal definition of the word 'disability' which has been

• Like 1

The causes for my incontinence are the reason for my disabilty (officially), not my incontience itself. I have ADHS, hormonal problems and isdsues with my back. It my incontinence worsens my depression.

• 1 month later...

Yes and no. It can be a disability if you let it be or you can do whatever you want without letting it get in the way. There are very few things it physically stops you doing. I've been completely incontinent from birth and I climb mountains, ride, participate in sports and travel all over. Incontinence when caused by other things is a side effect of a disability. In itself it's an inconvenience but not a disabling one

• Like 2
16 hours ago, HeyLookItsGemma said:

Yes and no. It can be a disability if you let it be or you can do whatever you want without letting it get in the way. There are very few things it physically stops you doing. I've been completely incontinent from birth and I climb mountains, ride, participate in sports and travel all over. Incontinence when caused by other things is a side effect of a disability. In itself it's an inconvenience but not a disabling one

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is an disability, but one that I have actually became quite "fond" of or maybe just neutral. It doesn't bother me anymore as it used to to be honest. Back when I was incontinent and pretty young I used to have terrible depressions over it, worrying about what I'm going to do next or what will my friends say if they find out. I manned up and I don't care what other says about, but yet I don't come bragging about it, so it's not maybe that I hide it, but I also don't reveal it. If somebody asks I will say the truth, but nobody has asked yet - I must be pretty good at hiding it then. So yeah, it is an disability, but one that a man can live with and even find it enjoyable from time to time, depends. There are far more worse disabilities out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm recently coming to terms with the fact that I have a disability, and I consider incontinence to be the least "disabling" part of the whole condition.

In fact, urge incontinence, enuresis, and constipation were the only symptoms I experienced until a few

I think for most IC is more a symptom of a disability rather than a disability in its own right. I doubt that you would get government or private disability insurance benefits on the basis of IC issues alone without a related medical condition. I get disability benefits for underlying serious psychiatric and neurological illnesses. The side effects of these illnesses arent even mentioned on benefits update forms except where they explain the effects on my ability to work or function independently at home. One doctor told me these effects are called "secondary" conditions because theyre secondary to the primary illnesses.

I hope it's alright to post my own opinion on here. There are lots of differing views on here as to whether it is a disability or not. I think the differing views on here are less to do with the classification of "incontinence", but the classification of "disability". I think some peoples view is that a disability is something that must impact severely on your day to day life, something that is difficult to cope with. However, some people cope very differently to others. One person may see deafness as a disability, but a deaf person who has been so all their life may know no different and not see it as a disability.

In the legal sense, incontinence IS classed as a disability in the vast majority of countries. The world health organisation states a disability involves "impairments, activity limitations and participation restrictions", and the term impairment means "a problem in body function or structure" (direct quote from the world health organisation). Therefore, incontinence IS a disability, as defined by the world health organisation, and is so under UK law and probably US law and other countries too.

It is "technically" a disability, but unless you have a condition that otherwise physically impairs you and prevents you from working, then it is not a disability for the sake of medical benefits. I had to look it up as after being in the hospital last year it was suggested that I wear "absorbant products" (Why can't they just say diapers, we know what they are) and that I should avoid using toilet paper and use "sanitary wipes" instead and just use TP to absorb excess moisture from the wipes. I was concerned that it might be considered a disabilty that "might" prevent me from returning to work due to "sanitary" concerns. Turns out, the health department does NOT consider incontinence a health risk (assuming you keep yourself clean, and change as needed) so I was able to return to work. On that note though, they won't cover it either, so my diapers and wipes are an "Out of pocket" expense.