LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

I know a cabinet maker who trained making very expensive high-quality furniture who could make cribs that would be of outstanding quality and design. I just wondered what people would pay. Ive seem prices of $1500+ and while we could never have one here for various reasons, I do wonder about others.

Hi Rosalie: In response to your question, it depends on what the person wants. 

There are many things that can't be done without proper tooling. Those custom designs that require that specialized equipment costs money. That said, a cost break should be provided if there is a whole bedroom set being made.

The real cost comes down to two main factors... materiel and finishing. 

So for a vintage finished cherrywood design with curves and scrollwork, upscaled for a twin xl mattress, with brass couplings and slide locks, I would pay what a comparative bed would cost at a retail furniture store meeting the same criteria of wood, finish and craftsmanship.

For something built from pine that doesn't have a true dropside and is slathered in white paint to hide defects in workmanship? I'd simply not clutter my house with it. Even if the cherrywood was $2k and the pine was $500, I'd simply wait until I could buy the one I really wanted. Chances are you will have it for life and use it everyday... so why not get exactly what you really want?

I think the short answer is I'm willing to pay a fair and reasonable amount for the quality I require. My budget would be $1000-$3500, with the top end including alot of customized work and professional grade finishing.

I built my own very cheaply and pretty simply over 20 years ago.  I've got reasonable woodworking skills.  First I bought a single bed/mattress with no headboard or anything like that (from IKEA), & with legs set back slightly so you could hardly notice they were there.  Then I made four rectangular pine frames with mortice & tenon joints, two short ones with legs (the ends) & two long ones without legs (the sides).  Each frame had dowelling (about 3/4 inch I think) bars every few inches along - just like my cot when I was a real baby.  Then I hinged three sides together, & fitted a latch to join the 4th corner.  And varnished it.  The whole thing fitted snugly round the bed, & was as solid as you could want.  OK, the side didn't slide down - I had to hinge it out instead, but apart from that it was perfect, for me.  Lovely to sleep in, next to my piles of nappies on the shelving next to it.

And then I met the woman who I married, she moved in & the cot had to go as we both wanted to raise a family.  I still miss it, & it might still be out there somewhere - I gave it to Mummy Hazel & she took it down to Kent to rehome.  There's a good chance I'll never have another, but on the other hand I'm hoping for a lot more babying once the kids are both away at college.  If I ever find myself on my own again, I imagine I'll build another though.

• 2 years later...
On 3/10/2017 at 4:56 PM, rosalie.bent said:

Let me ask this. How much would people be prepared to pay for a professionally-built adult baby crib that arrived needing just basic assembly? I dont really know what people would be prepared to pay.

@rosalie.bent Did they ever make the crib ?

I keep having this idea of making some crib-rails that I could attach to my Twin-XL bed to turn it into a crib.  My mattress is already about 29" high with the frame and a tall foundation and mattress (the box is several inches deeper than the mattress which is about 9-10" in itself).

I've got this idea of getting some premade dowel rods, about 1" diameter, get some good straight boards for the tops, bottoms and ends of the rails, drill appropriate sized holes down each of the longer boards to accommodate the dowels, sand down all the corners smooth, then glue and fit all pieces together and stain & seal it all with PU.

After that it would be a matter of deciding how to mount the rails to my bedframe (and to each other).  One rail would likely be attached by crib slide runners like at least MY old crib had in the 60s (runners where the rail could ride up and down and lock in place).

Just a dream right now since my wife is 100% against the idea.