LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Preparing Cloth Diaprs

2-3 Washes are enough to get the fibers prepped and ready to be absorbent. You can wear them with decent absorbency after the first wash, or you can do the cycles before wearing them. After the first few uses you'll notice they get a bit more absorbent still, but it'll max out around 6 cycles.

Yes, you should wash and dry them for each cycle. Soap is optional, never use fabric softeners or dryer sheets, which reduce absorbency since they themselves permeate the cloth to make them seem softer.

Normally I wash my cotton diapers using DREFT and hot water.

However, I start brand new cotton diapers using Ivory Snow or another mild detergent which does not contain borax, using warm water.

After that cycle I do not dry the new diapers. Instead without removing them from the washing machine I run them again, using no detergent. After that second cycle I do dry them.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Angela Bauer said:

Normally I wash my cotton diapers using DREFT and hot water.

However, I start brand new cotton diapers using Ivory Snow or another mild detergent which does not contain borax, using warm water.

After that cycle I do not dry the new diapers. Instead without removing them from the washing machine I run them again, using no detergent. After that second cycle I do dry them.

Sounds like great advice to me and a lot of what I do with new diapers.

I make my own diapers (flats) using diaper flannel that I buy by the yard from Fabric.com. Prior to cutting and binding the diapers, I wash them (in the machine) using hot water and Purex laundry soap and dry the fabric on high. Of course the more they are washed, the better they absorb but cloth diapers should be "conditioned" prior to sewing or using them. Diaper flannel is not expensive.

One final note on diaper care: Do not use chlorine bleach on diapers. I use Purex bleach or Oxi-Clean regularly to keep stains away. Oxygen bleach is safer to use on diapers because it doesn't rot the fibers or clog them. The biggest key to diaper care is to rinse them really well so that they retain absorbency. Follow the instructions on the product

• Like 1