LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store
Pwy ydy'r tad

Increments or one off?

I'm currently working on a story and I'm wondering if it's better to post chapters incrementally or as a one off? I've seen both formats utilised in the forum but I'm wondering if more seasoned writers have found one or the other to be better.

Obviously it depends on the story. I'm still writing so I have no idea how long it's going to end up being but I have written about 6 pages so far and I know I have a lot to go. And while I didn't plan to write chapters I have hit a point that would make a very neat end to chapter 1. I suppose it's just a question of what's easier for a reader to digest, is there a point where a story is simply too long?

Elfy    738

I prefer posting in increments since it allows anticipation to build, feedback to be gained and it is easier for the reader to digest.

willnotwill    448

I like to post as I go along as well.  Typically, I post one chapter behind what I've currently written.   There are a few reasons for this.    One is to get feedback.   I have a lot of story ideas that I've not fleshed out fully or I'm not sure they are going to be interesting.   Based on the comments from the initial chapter depends if or how I'll continue.    As Elfy says, then if I do continue, it gives a nice "tune in next time to see how our hero progresses" level of anticipation.

Thank you both for that, I think I shall adopt the chapter format from heron in. I'll still want to get a bit further before I post anything but I'll still have the freedom to tweak if if need to. 

DaddyCool    7

I've had the same dilema, I have hand written 84 pages of a story but wasn't sure whether to post each chapter in installments or just drop the whole lot in one go. I think the chapter format will probably be the best way to go and like Elfy's point about it building anticipation.

Happy writing all.

Drownedinp    83

I prefer the chapter also as you see I have one sorry on over 40 pages here. It's called a Family Affair!

ausdpr    94

One of my favourite authors, Daring Diane, releases the whole story at once, which is a fun way to go and doesn't make them any less memorable - if anything they're more so, like finding a completed old classic on the net.

Most people (including myself and most of my favourites) tend to do chapter by chapter from what I've seen. It's very difficult to completely finish a story with no feedback or confidence that anybody is liking where it's going. It also makes you move beyond constantly re-editing earlier parts to fit new changes, and just work with what you have. On the flipside, it's easy to lose interest if you drag the writing out for so long that it gets beyond the stage where it's still revealing anything new and exciting to you as the writer.

Planning can help or hinder both paths. It can make sure that you have a clear path to the end and don't end up with a story which just fizzles out or traps itself. But it can also leave no surprises, and make everything too confusing if you significantly change it, leaving you with a cutting block and no good way to make decisions.

Due to going chapter by chapter, I have at least 3 unfinished stories which I wish that I'd finished, so now prefer to finish anything before publishing, or just stick to short one-offs. On the flipside, because I never publish anything which I don't finish, I have literally entire novels' worth of ABDL stories which nobody has ever read, or just a few people have read drafts of.

Anael    1

Eight months since this thread opened up and I'm just now reading it.  They don't call me slow poke for nuttin'!  :16_EmoticonsHDcom:

I prefer to read a story in its entirety.  Reading a part then wading through comments looking for the next part or just waiting for the next diaper to be filled - well, I tend to wander off in search of a new toy 

Cute_Kitten    320

I've found what works best for me is writing the completed rough draft then posting in increments as I edit/ revise.  That way I have the base outline done but I can get feedback as I go along to see if the characters/plot/story as a whole is coming off as intended or if I've screwed up somewhere along the way. Or if there are any glaring errors that I'm simply missing and having readers catch that lets me go back and editi it.  As for people who like to read a story all in one go- they can always wait until the story is complete or they can start reading once enough has been posted so they can gauge whether it catches their fancy or not.  Some readers like to read in small chunks here and there, so I find posting bits at a time is the best balance for my stories.  (Though posting all at once for readers who prefer to read in smaller chunks can just take reading breaks as their preference and come back to it later..) :D